Taranis + DLG: Quick setup, feature rich, predictable DLG program for the Taranis - RC Groups
Mar 02, 2015, 05:47 PM
A different attitude to RC
Mini-HowTo

Taranis + DLG: Quick setup, feature rich, predictable DLG program for the Taranis

After a recent, deeper understanding of OpenTX: Presenting a feature rich DLG template for the Taranis that simplifies your path to a flyable DLG, requiring only initial setting of servo directions and a few "GVAR's".

- Reduces workload on quick turnarounds
- Throttle stick controls flaps
- Flight modes have custom elevator and flap offsets controlled by the relevant trim switches.
- Launch mode adds an adjustable (up ONLY for safety) elevator deflection using the elevator trim.
- Sound and vibration warnings triggered by launch preset for Zoom or "ultra speed" mode, used during the first few seconds of a launch.
- Exit Zoom mode to pre-selected Speed, Cruise or Thermal modes by moving the flap stick OR changing flight modes (Switch SE).
- Snap Flaps are enabled / disabled by switch SH.
- Aileron to Rudder mix (default of 50%)
- Launch preset includes separate aileron trim to allow an offset during launch.
- Right slider adds camber.
- Launch and zoom modes deactivate slider. Move slider all the way forward to re-activate.
- Sounds from The "Amber" Transmitter Sound Pack.
- Volume(S2), backlight (SC), RX voltage (SC), Timers (SB and SF), vario tones (SD), altitude readout (SG), and more...

Getting started:
Download the latest EEPE file (4.1) and copy the model to the Taranis
(See notes further down this post on how to use an EEPE file)
Install The "Amber" Transmitter Sound Pack on the Taranis and optionally the Companion's simulator.

First steps for customizing your DLG's settings:

1) On the servo settings page, use ONLY the reverse option to get the elevator, rudder and flaps moving correctly, ignoring all other "problems".
To reverse flap direction, reverse BOTH flap servo's.
Flaps should deploy downwards as you pull the flap (throttle) stick down.
Ignore Aileron direction and offset for now, we fix those later.

2) Configure the Global Variables (GVAR's): Each GVAR has a name that describes its function.
The following steps setup the GVAR's using the recommended sequence for a new install:

STEP 1: FZero (Flap Zero): Adjust aileron trim switches and FZero so that the ailerons are level and in cruise mode.
* If you cannot get the ailerons to be level within reasonable trim range, adjust the aileron servo's subtrims.

STEP 2: AThrow (Aileron Throw): Set to the desired maximum aileron deflection using the aileron stick.
If ailerons are reversed, reverse this number (+100 becomes -100)
* If necessary, adjust AMin (Aileron Minimum) and AMax (Aileron Maximum) to give desired maximum flap deflection or up movement of the ailerons.
If you cannot get throws even left to right, change the aileron servo's Min and Max values to their own, different values instead of the GVAR's.
This may be necessary if the geometry of your servo's/horns/centering is different left to right.

STEP 3: ADiff (Aileron differential): Set this to give the desired aileron differential RATIO of up to down.

STEP 4: A-Rudd (Aileron to Rudder mix): Set for desired Aileron to Rudder mix

STEP 5: Slider: Set for max desired deflection from the slider. 0 for no effect.

STEP 6: F-Elev (Flap to Elevator mix): Sets the max amount of elevator to flap mix following Curve2.
* The default of -100 is a bit much. I ended up with -40.

STEP 7: SnpFlp (Snap Flaps): Set for the desired amount of Snap Flaps.
* This feature is disabled using switch SH.

STEP 8: Check: Make sure the following statements are TRUE
- The DLG has all surfaces in "Cruise" mode position and responding correctly to all stick controls.
- Toggling SF invokes launch preset and the elevator has some upward deflection (set the amount later).
- Switching through flight modes leaves elevator and aileron surfaces unchanged.

STEP 9: Setup aileron deflections for each flight mode: Cycle through flight modes and using the Flap (Throttle) trim switch, set and the desired trailing edge deflections for each.
* Elevator compensation for each flight mode is taken care of by careful order of mixes "under the hood".

STEP 10: Setup launch pre-set: Use elevator trim while in Launch mode to adjust the amount of up deflection.
* Built in "safety" provided by Curve3 does not allow the trim to cause down elevator by mistake - even with full forward trim

3) (OPTIONAL) Use the INPUTS page to change switch assignments to your liking, making sure the same switch is not referenced twice.

Exceptional. You are now ready to fly.
** Make sure to always do an overhand launch to verify elevator trim.
Just in case, I always test trims after any elevator related changes with a firm and slightly upwards overhand launch while holding launch preset.
Always get ready to prevent and catch a stall or dive on that test throw!

Reducing workload on quick turnarounds:
- Switch to speed mode on approach, deploy flaps, tip catch.
- Pull launch preset and launch, leaving the flap stick down..
- During the climb, choose when to exit Zoom mode by pushing flap stick up.

Using this flow takes a small amount of adjustment (in leaving the flaps down) but feels natural after a few goes and I thought it worked pretty well. It really feels like less to do not having to think about the flaps at all during the launch.

How to use an EEPE file to configure a new model with OpenTX Companion:
1) Read models and settings from your Taranis into Companion.
2) Open the downloaded EEPE (in Companion) and copy the model to an open slot in the settings window from step 1.
4) Restart the radio and select the new model, binding as necessary.

If you got all the way to here, I hope you have a working setup or you found this useful.

Please feel free to give feedback or otherwise comment?
Last edited by extremewing; Jun 10, 2015 at 08:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2015, 07:52 PM
I think this program rocks!
I added some logic with Adrians help so I have camber on the LS slider. and the slider is deactivated until you set it back to center for a micro second. Then pushing the slider forward adds camber. This keeps camber from being added right as you come out of zoom mode into whatever flight mode you selected. I also put my flight modes on the SA switch rather than the SE so it is away from the launch switch and I can glance down and see by the switch what mode it is in. Yes it says on the screen also, but not until you lower the throttle below 80% and back up.
You will want to go into the servo screen to set the limits of your elevator and rudder so you wont harm the linkage. Setting this in the servo page will limit the travel so no matter the combination of elev to flaps and elevator these limits will be respected.

I forgot how I set my max flap down limit position.
This program has a 5 point curve for the flaps (curve 2) ? I am used to a straight line of flaps to stick and I think I need an additional curve for the elevator addition. This was majorly true for my aerial.
Last edited by elkski; Mar 02, 2015 at 08:27 PM.
Mar 02, 2015, 10:49 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
So far so good. Easy Peasy setup. Thanks AD
Mar 02, 2015, 11:05 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
Boring!!!! I would expect so much more from a software guy.
Mar 02, 2015, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsha99
mmm
Mar 03, 2015, 12:34 AM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
Quote:
Me to, imagine my surprise when it actually worked well, and I could understand it!!!!! Well done AD.
Mar 03, 2015, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkski
and the slider is deactivated until you set it back to center for a micro second.
How's that programmed? Thanks in advance.
Mar 03, 2015, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkz
How's that programmed? Thanks in advance.
I have added another version that includes the slider function from Randy. See OP.

Mar 03, 2015, 02:38 AM
Rick Rogahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing
* If you cannot get the ailerons level within trim range, change the aileron servo's subtrim settings directly to their own, different values till the ailerons are level.
Wouldn't it be better to use the 'centering' feature (far right column in the servos screen)? I believe sub-trim reduces servo throw, yeah? Thanks for putting this together Adrian, I'll take a look at the 'disable' function / setting and apply to mine (have things set up how I like them ATM). This will definitely help those just jumping into the Taranis!
Mar 03, 2015, 02:51 AM
Thanks for posting the slider version. I have mine on RS now and only available to cruise mode.. it has become a reason to go less and less into the hard coded thermal or speed mode.. I started to fly with my finger on the slider and it has helped me to rediscover my planes in a diff way. With the 'disable' function I might get the slider back to LS where it might be more comfortable for mode 2 pilots. Will see in a moment, sun is shining!
Mar 03, 2015, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Sloper
Wouldn't it be better to use the 'centering' feature (far right column in the servos screen)? I believe sub-trim reduces servo throw, yeah? Thanks for putting this together Adrian, I'll take a look at the 'disable' function / setting and apply to mine (have things set up how I like them ATM). This will definitely help those just jumping into the Taranis!
Sub trim should not reduce throw since throw is more related to your servo installation, ie the servo either has enough throw or not. Min and Max would reduce (or increase) throw and this is sometimes necessary depending on servo installation.
The 'centering' feature should have a similar result.
Mar 03, 2015, 03:47 AM
Rick Rogahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing
Sub trim should not reduce throw since throw is more related to your servo installation, ie the servo either has enough throw or not. Min and Max would reduce (or increase) throw and this is sometimes necessary depending on servo installation.
The 'centering' feature should have a similar result.
Cool, thanks man. Checked the manual, posting for clarity for anyone wondering what we are talking about . Sub-Trim / Centering / Limits w/ subtrim settings in the attached image.
Mar 03, 2015, 04:23 AM
Jens Hoffmann
Quote:
No sounds, no alarms,
put alarm on launchpreset to give you a tone when everything is OK and another tone to if something is wrong.
play a track of your favorite music "fly me to the moon"
play an alarm when you have reached the countdowntime.
make your trimsettings for one flightmode or for them all," exciting "

"Taranis no limits"
Mar 03, 2015, 07:42 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
There is a quirk that I've found (at least in my program) that when I dial in more than about 20% subtrim on a surface, the radio adjusts the travel of that surface downward by a significant percentage, almost like a dual rate. The travel reduction is in both directions and throughout the range of travel for the surface. I found it on a flapperon when putting my radio program on a model that I didn't build. The reduction doesn't come in a linear fashion either... it's like when you hit a threshold, the behavior is triggered.

Lesson learned... subtrims are for fine tuning, make sure servos are at center when you build. I'm not sure if this is a behavior that can be turned off but I've been able to recreate it.

Great writeup AD. Still getting used to mine but it's a very flexible interface, and having come from the Multiplex 4000 world (assign a stick to a function, assign the function to servos, mix away) I'm a big fan so far.
Mar 03, 2015, 09:52 AM
Adrian is just getting started in the taranis. He has always flown with very simple programming as he prefers to just fly it. He likes simplicity and this is just a good entry level starter program. It is quick to get running and has all the basic features that you need to fly a DLG.
I am confident Adrian will be bitten by what this TX can do and never stop improving on a taranis program. THe bulldog has bitten.