Dec 30, 2018, 02:03 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
Thread OP
I was finally able to maiden my new Gyro Bee last week at Weldon in 20-30 mph winds. Very happy with the way it flew. Top speed was 143. Not bad for a 33oz wing. The full trailing edge helps quiet down the DS whistle most of my Bees have. I’m still adjusting the CG but need more consistent wind. It flew a bit more stable with 1/2 oz on the nose but I need more stick time to confirm.
I highly recommend anyone who is thinking of building beyond a basic Bee to consider one of these little Lemon recr/gyros.
I forgot the obligatory pic on Weldon rock so here’s an old pic...
I ended up loosing the center lightning bolts, the design was too busy.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2018, 05:18 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH
I ended up loosing the center lightning bolts, the design was too busy.
We all knew they were supposed to be flames anyway.

At that speed you must really have had the rates turned low. My Scout flutters a bit during a hard hand launch -- but otherwise is quite nice. I've used the Lemon stab in that ship for 4 years...some days never turn it on, and other days leave it on 90% of the time. Great to have that option.

-= Dave
Dec 30, 2018, 08:55 PM
Thread OP
Yep, the gains are really low. Elevator is at minimum. I need more time to mess with them.
Feb 11, 2019, 10:44 AM
Thread OP
Pretty good price on the Lemon Gyro/Recrs I like to use in my GyroBee builds.

https://www.rcjuice.com/lemon-rx-dsm...in-lm0005.html

End Pin with dual ant.
https://www.rcjuice.com/lemon-rx-dsm...in-lm0033.html
Mar 25, 2019, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
The GyroBee (33oz) did great this past weekend in Weldon. Very happy with it. I turned up the gains a bit more and saw no oscillation in 30mph winds. Top speed was 158.
I removed the center graphics, it was too busy...
Love the way it flies.
Mar 25, 2019, 05:02 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH
The GyroBee (33oz) did great this past weekend in Weldon. Very happy with it. I turned up the gains a bit more and saw no oscillation in 30mph winds. Top speed was 158.
I removed the center graphics, it was too busy...
Love the way it flies.
Dang that sounds really fast for a 33oz wing.

Did you glass the elevons?

The outboard chord is really thin on my DS48 & SR48 so I'm on the fence as far as glassing the SR48 elevons.

I didn't glass the DS48. But the SR48 will have ballast capability.

Mar 25, 2019, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
Yes, the elevons are glassed and cut down 3-3/4" inboard and outboard.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...uild-GyroBee-3
Mar 25, 2019, 05:50 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thanks Stu
Apr 29, 2019, 01:35 PM
Old Schooler
Where are you all setting your CG at for the Bee 2? It take too much lead to get it to the CG noted on the build sheet. I have a Wicked and Beevolution and all took a whole lot of weight to CG. Is indicative of all Wingrider wings?

Tom
Apr 29, 2019, 02:38 PM
Bel Prince of Fresh Air
8-1/4 to 8-1/2" from the nose. Where your nose is is a bit variable after a few flights.
Apr 29, 2019, 02:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill_Smith
8-1/4 to 8-1/2" from the nose. Where your nose is is a bit variable after a few flights.
Correct.

Here's a cool vid of Daemon's 30oz Bee in a furball at the Weldon Int'l DS fest.
Furball (3 min 30 sec)
May 17, 2019, 08:27 PM
Old Schooler
My 3 Windriders...
May 21, 2019, 06:52 PM

Ming is AWOL?

Has anyone been in touch with Ming at Winderider lately? He seems to be AWOL, not responding to PMs.

Mitch
Jul 18, 2019, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchcb
Has anyone been in touch with Ming at Winderider lately? He seems to be AWOL, not responding to PMs.

Mitch
Indirectly yes... I just moved back from Hong Kong last summer. I bought all my Windrider stuff from him personally at his office. A buddy from HKG and I spoke just a few days ago and he went to visit Ming in the past couple of weeks. Still has lots of gliders and there's a rumor about a new wing. No need for me to spread rumors about something I haven't seen so I'll let Ming talk about it if it comes to be.

Cheers,

Mark
Jul 18, 2019, 03:33 PM

Bee II with a tail

Here is my son Alex flying his Bee2 last weekend at Coyote Hills - SF Bay Area.

Mid teens to low 20's, having fun making the tail longer and longer

(2 min 22 sec)

Quick Reply