Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 02, 2001, 12:19 AM
Just an average RC'er

Micro ESC that can handle 10 cells???

I have a new robin heli, and during this learning process I'm going through quite a few battery charges. Unfortunatly, I'm using tadirans on the Robin and my charger takes 10 hours to recharge them. So I purchased 3 12 volt 4aH batteries to run my Robin teathered to. However my ESC is only rated at 8 cells, but 12 volts equates to 10 cells. What can I do? I need a 5-7 amp controller with 12 volt operation with BEC.

-Jim
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2001, 12:56 AM
Festina Lente
How many servos do you need to run? Since you're eliminating the weight of the power batteries it may be easier, safer and a more realistic practice to just put a receiver pack onboard for tethered flights.

There are a few ESCs like the Castle Creations Pixie 14 and the Jeti 110 that are fairly small and handle 10-cells with BEC, but they are limited to 2 or 3 servos when operating on BEC. This is even more critical when talking about a helicopter as the servos are in constant motion.

Keith
May 02, 2001, 01:52 AM
This esc is kinda large for your heli but the great planes c 30 can handle 30 amps , 10 cells 4 servos and weighs .7 ounces.
May 02, 2001, 02:48 AM
And the C-30 is cheap. I have heard good things about it, especially for the price.
May 02, 2001, 06:44 AM
Let's Fly
http://www.officeshops.com/esc.htm

Hi jim,

I have some speed controllers that handle 6-10 cells. both 15 and 30 amp. However, i do not know how many servos they can handle. Does anyone reading this know if these will work for him?

-gerald
May 02, 2001, 07:11 AM
Just an average RC'er
Quote:
Originally posted by gbagley:
http://www.officeshops.com/esc.htm

Does anyone reading this know if these will work for him?

-gerald
Thanks, those ESC's are a bit big, and have a brake. A brake is about the worst thing you can do to a heli.

What are you guys with 10 cell IFO's and Tiny's flying with?

-Jim
May 02, 2001, 11:11 AM
Strange Plane Central
The SIRIUS GFS will handle 16 cells and up to 10 amps (unofficially 14 amps)
It has a 1.5 amp BEC and weighs 1 gram without wires.
Not good for tail rotor control though as the filter software was the trade off for less throttle steps.
May 02, 2001, 11:12 AM
Schulze has a new one, the shulze slim10.
May 03, 2001, 12:10 AM
Just an average RC'er
That Sirius GFS looks perfect! I've already got the tail rotor ESC, it doesn't have to have BEC so I'm using a GWS 2 amp control. Thanks for the suggestions.

-Jim