May 30, 2004, 02:17 PM
Thread OP

7 Ft. Span Airliner

I finished the big MD-80. I'm a little bummed about it weighing 5 pounds, I was shooting for 4. But with a span of 7 ft. and a length of 6 ft. I'm not finding much sympathy.
Four, three cell, li-poly packs push the Mega brushless motors strong enough to use 7x5 props and only pull 30 amps through two castle creations speed controllers.

Test flight:
The 80 rolled out at full power with 5 clicks of up dialed in the trim. At about 30 yards I gave it a little up to see if I could get her to rotate. She eased off the runway totally scale, the only thing missing was seeing the wheels disappear in the belly.
A big wide climbing left hand turn brought it up to about 100 ft over the lake.
It was unbelievable, no additional trim was needed. I throttled back to half power for two more orbits then brought her down for a fly by. The people (5 of them) scattered when she came by. It flew so stable that I was comfortable with a pass within 20 ft of us. I laughed and climbed out for the stall test. Not good, she tip stalled to the left but not hard so the first landing was done a little hot. I'd be willing to bet that it will be the best landing I'll ever do with it. Aside from over shooting the runway by half it was fantastic. I was able to taxi back and the motors were cool to the touch and so was the batteries.

I built the plane to promote the book "Building with foam" I picked up the books from the printer yesterday.
http://home.att.net/~parkflyerplastics
I'm not sure what I got tired of doing the most, working on the book, building the 80 or building the website.

It's next flight will be at the Little Rock SMALL steps fun fly, There we will see if it has the "right stuff" to get off of a grass strip.

I'll have more shots for you this evening.
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2004, 02:37 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
Keith;
That is Amazing!
Will you be going to SEFF?
I can tmake it to SMALL, but I would love to see this fly. I have alsways wanted to make an Ozark Airlines DC9 but have not gotten around to it.

Got any video?

Kirby
May 30, 2004, 03:26 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Wow!!!!!!

J
May 30, 2004, 03:47 PM
WOW! That is really great looking, nice job. I'd love to see a video of that bird soaring.
Larry
May 30, 2004, 04:29 PM
That's a beautiful model Keith! If you ask me, this sort of project is what aeromodelling is all about. Congratulations. What's next?!

Cheers,
Graham Reddin.
May 30, 2004, 04:41 PM
Thread OP

Planned Texas flights

Kirby, where is the SEFF?
I will be going to the Seagoville electric fun fly and come back for D.E.A.F. the next week.
I'll keep an eye on the AMA event calendar for electric functions and try to make them.
I have some shots of the prototype in flight, this is the landing at the thunder bird field. This model is half the size of the "Big Bird". It flew so well I had to apply the design to a larger model.
May 30, 2004, 05:38 PM
B-25 admirer
Nice job!
Any thoughts about putting fans in rather that the props?
What is the inlet diameter of the nacelles?
Wade
May 30, 2004, 05:44 PM
Lagopus lagopus
Well made foam airplane! Did you use any machines to make it?
May 30, 2004, 06:06 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Sparky, that is incredible. You are the official Wizard of Foam in my book!

See you at SMALL next week and DEAF right after that...

I assume you will be bringing some copies of your book to SMALL that we can buy, right? If so, put my name on one!
Latest blog entry: My 2021 event schedule
May 30, 2004, 06:21 PM
Suspended Account
great craftsmanship....
May 30, 2004, 08:18 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
...Wow!
May 30, 2004, 09:35 PM
Bought at a price.
(I'm reduced to)

WOW!.......................video!
May 30, 2004, 09:51 PM
what hasn't already been said
WOW
May 30, 2004, 10:20 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
SEFF is near Atlanta the next week after SMALL in Ark. It would be worth your trip. You should see the Events forum for the details.

Kirby
May 30, 2004, 10:33 PM
Just One More
A fish runs into a wall, and I agree..... DAM!

Quick Reply