Mar 01, 2015, 10:39 AM
Thread OP
Rant

Why bother, to do a build log??

Everyone has been SCREAMING, Build Log, Build Log, Build Log! BUT, I see so much "chit-chat," and misc. B.S., on Scale Boats, that SHOULD be done on "DOCK TALK", that it is "pushing," most of the "builds" to page 2,3, or 4, quite quickly. My feeling is WHY BOTHER, I guess, the B.S., is more important!! Am I wrong???
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2015, 11:00 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
We're a bunch of model boaters who share information...Sometimes when you post something in a "Build Log", it'll spur someone to ask a question to clarify a point or gather some information " (Where did you get that "?) "How did you do that?"

In my builds, I call them discussions, and I welcome all comments, whether it's about the weather, or where I got the bottom paint.

You could do your own build log, and police it as you wish, deleting comments that upset you..

From the success of the many build logs currently,even with the derailments,I'd say they meet the standards of acceptance.

Just a good bunch of guys trying to have fun, without getting a ticket from the words police.

All magazines have more than one page....the same way as this one. Navigating to your preferred build is not difficult....sorry.
Mar 01, 2015, 11:13 AM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Speaking strictly for myself here, Charlie, When I joined RCGrps nobody explained the RULES of the forums to me. Nobody said "the forum called SCALE BOATS (not BUILDS ) is strictly for build threads" and then they went and put categories such as DISCUSSION and QUESTION for posts which is more confusing Perhaps either a separate forum for builds is needed or else remove the other categories.
I have seen build threads from years past resurrected so if there is interest they will find their way to the front.
As for Dock Talk I have never felt welcome over there. With all the old timers (mostly West Coast) it is like a good old boys club . I have found that dare I post on a thread it is like the KOD.
If I start a thread there might be 150 views and maybe 1 response. (not to mention the insults and put downs at times)

JMO
Last edited by sound sailor; Mar 01, 2015 at 11:22 AM.
Mar 01, 2015, 11:24 AM
r/c ships and workboats
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound sailor
Speaking strictly for myself here, Charlie, When I joined RCGrps nobody explained the RULES of the forums to me. Nobody said "the forum called SCALE BOATS (not BUILDS ) is strictly for build threads" and then they went and put headers such as DISCUSSION and QUESTION for posts which is more confusing Perhaps either a separate forum for builds is needed or else remove the other headers.
I have seen build threads from years past resurrected so if there is interest they will find their way to the front.
As for Dock Talk I have never felt welcome over there. With all the old timers (mostly West Coast) it is like a good old boys club . I have found that dare I post on a thread it is like the KOD.
If I start a thread there might be 150 views and maybe 1 response. (not to mention the insults and put downs at times)

JMO
Well said.

My 2 cents worth: A build log is no different than a casual conversation , except in electronic print. Most of the time when talking with people about a build, some banter, questions, or other conversations may get injected. I believe it is up to the person who is "talking" or controlling the subject to bring it back in line. Comments and such at least mean the issue is alive and people are reading it. We all get off track some times be in print or spoken word. As long as it doesn't change the entire article, then I don't have too many issues with it. Some out there look at a build log and number of pages and hits as a sign of their success.
Mar 01, 2015, 11:25 AM
Please continue with the build logs. For us newbies it's where we learn. I only recently found that I could click on any green Build Log icon and just list the build logs. So many times I have found easy solutions for constructing a part. I only wish that there were more details supplied.
This is not an easy hobby. If it was I would already have found it boring.
Mar 01, 2015, 11:35 AM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
BTW Charlie if this is brought about because of your current build log being relegated to page 2, it is there partially because of 12 other build logs being ahead of it at the moment so it is not all the BS causing it..The latest is from Aug 2011
Last edited by sound sailor; Mar 01, 2015 at 11:50 AM.
Mar 01, 2015, 11:52 AM
I have been on here for a while and done one build blog and a third way through another .

I have found that the guys and gals on here are easy to get on with, rants don't turn into venomous rages, mud slinging and attacks on other members and every one is so much at peace with the fellow members..
the site I have left is too heavily moderated, not by the mods themselves but certain self opinionated members who seem to be able to put themselves on a higher plain than just us mere mortals, and when something is said that they don't like they go crying to the mods and we get banned.
I have no problems with people passing the time of day on my builds, have no problems with people telling me that I have done something wrong, and absolutely nop objections to positive criticism...........and feel at home on here because of the friendliness of the members.......lets keep it that way........PLEASSSSSSSE
Mar 01, 2015, 12:01 PM
Lot of water; some gets thin
UUh; should this be on Dock Talk? LOL. My experience is that most here are pretty diligent about not hijacking a thread. To me the comments made and questions asked/answered are all worthwhile benefits.
Mar 01, 2015, 12:10 PM
As a long time forum member and contributor I have seen a lot of build threads, as well as posted a few, for both information as well as self satisfaction. The idea that a lot of build threads seem to drag on for ever may have to do with the fact that they are posted as real time builds, with no real layout in mind when posting. When the build is posted in real time, the poster may be bombarded with questions about this that or the other things, which may distract the original poster from his or her train of thought on the build they were presenting. Also with real time posting, there may lags in the build for any number of reasons, which can break up the flow of information being presented in the build, making it very hard to follow the builder’s train of thought on the build.

I personally will take notes and numerous pictures as I progress with the build, with the intention of writing the presentation, along with the pictures, that I will then submit to the forum as a build thread. This will allow me the opportunity, with the use of SPELL CHECK, to put down my thoughts and procedures used on the build along with the appropriate pictures showing the subject being discussed.

As far as having a separate forum designation for builds, I think that the forum sticky thread “WOODIES” at the top of the scale boat forum, handles the build threads quite nicely. It gives quick reference to both builder’s threads as well as boat subject threads for quick review by the forum member.

As for the DOCK TALK thread, I always thought that the main purpose was to present a space where, much like the real dock side B.S. sessions on Sunday morning took place. I thought the idea of the forum to my mind’s eye, was to give to the forum modeler a feel of camaraderie and fellow ship which once existed in the weekend visits, to the now defunct local hobby shop, to pick up the local modeling gossip along with that tube of glue or piece of wood. This is something that are younger members will not be lucky enough to experience for real but get a feeling of through the use of the DOCK TALK forum.

Keep up the good work guys and gals of the RC GROUPS forums. You are now the life and blood of this great hobby which will endure even through this new technology age.
Mar 01, 2015, 12:13 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
I don't think Charlie is referring to posts within peoples buildlogs when he states "I see so much "chit-chat," and misc. B.S., on Scale Boats". I think he is referring to other threads on here and perhaps he can explain it further.
I have a feeling what he is referring to but not for me to say. Perhaps he will clarify .
Mar 01, 2015, 12:32 PM
Grumpa Tom
Charlie is just grumpy because he didn't have his coffee yet.
Latest blog entry: Felony
Mar 01, 2015, 12:54 PM
Thread OP

Since most have SAID, they ONLY check out page 1

Yes, my comments were NOT aimed at ANY "build log", or, "tech" posting. But ALL the other stuff. ONE example: "Birthday Present", a RTR, and a vacation in the BVI, My post on the prop, with an explanation, and photo's, took well over 1 1/2 hours, to make-up, and post. I had to locate the photo's on the web, photograph the prop, etc. Thought that since "most," build in the 1950 to 1970's era, and there have been questions about props, and prop technology, it would be of interest.

The guy building the Thompson Trawler, IS going through what "most" of the guy's that have built that kit, have. The more guy's that see his post, the BETTER exchange of information. A good thing for all.

NOTE: My wife, keeps telling (more like nagging) me, that rather than posting on RCG, I should use the time, "actually building," my boats!!!
Mar 01, 2015, 01:23 PM
WHAT is it Dock talk??? I never been there ;-) Better is building something as talking..
Mar 01, 2015, 01:54 PM
I kinda get where u are coming from, but honestly, if you look at the thread,most threads are talking about builds or information, even the birthday one is about a scale vessel. The only one really off topic is some rant about others posting, lol. Overall I like the makeup, and its really easy to see a build log, since it is labeled as such, so please don'y ever think about not doing a build thread, they are most enjoyable, especially for us that can't be building right now.
Mar 01, 2015, 02:38 PM
It was many months before I stumbled upon Dock Talk. Prior to that I just assumed this is the place for all things Scale Boating. So, to that same end, if someone wants to share a build of a boat they designed themself and does not really exist, where does that build thread belong? Is it only a scale boat if it's a scaled down model of an actual vessel?

Quick Reply