New Products Flash Sale
Feb 27, 2015, 06:36 PM
How fast can balsa go?
Discussion

Rutan Quickie Q1

It's been a very long time since I did any model aircraft flying or designing. I went hang gliding for 5 years, until that nearly killed me LOL. Landings are always mandatory but sometimes they can really hurt. It was great fun and I don't regret any of it. Life is good and I just designed a new plane and have been having a ball flying. It's not overly aerobatic but I have looped it. It's not overly fast but fast enough. I like cruising at half throttle on the calm evenings and enjoy the unique look of it in the air.

A few specs on the airframe. 24.5" wingspan, 127 sq. in. wingarea. Weighs 4 ounces without the battery, 5 ounces with. Rimfire 180 and a 2s 430 battery. 2 Hitec HS-35hd servos, I didn't add rudder so I just handlaunch it.

Great fun to be back looking at all the great projects on RCgroups again.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2015, 06:52 PM
Great looking plane!
Latest blog entry: VA Models Christen Eagle
Feb 28, 2015, 09:43 PM
Did you use Siegfried Gloeckner's plan?
It was a 'good one'.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:31 PM
How fast can balsa go?
Thanks and that's a great article. Interesting the comparisons that he went through compared to me. But this is my own design from a 3-view from the internet. I too built a chuck glider to confirm the C of G for the r/c version. Worked out for me though luckily enough. I needed a bit of up trim on the first flight but other than that it wasn't much of an issue. I'll post a flight movie in a bit as soon as I figure out how lol.

Here's a link direct to my webpage with a couple movies to download

http://www.wingermodels.rchomepage.com/quickie.htm
Last edited by rogwinger; Mar 01, 2015 at 10:39 AM.
Mar 01, 2015, 04:38 AM
Aha, it is you!
I thought the name was familiar. I have the plan for your Whisper. Somehow, it has been left unattended - in a safe place...
http://www.wingermodels.rchomepage.com/whisper.htm
http://www.wingermodels.rchomepage.com
Mar 01, 2015, 11:15 AM
How fast can balsa go?
Ahh the Whisper. I finally lost mine 2 years ago after hundreds of flights. I want to build another one day soon. If you build yours perttime, make sure you send me a picture.
Mar 01, 2015, 08:04 PM
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton
Interesting bird. and your plans are cute too, I've never seen schematic drawings with cartoons in them! got a little punch drunk, did we? LOL

BTW, you misspelled vertical
Mar 02, 2015, 10:26 AM
How fast can balsa go?
Hahaha he's awesome isn't he, all planes and plans need a pilot. LOL. Thanks for the correction on the spelling misteak
Mar 03, 2015, 08:27 AM
No problem, glad to help. Is that supposed to be Dick Dasterdly in the cockpit, or you?

Curious to see how this build pans out. Rutan's designs, as outside of the box as they are do tend to fly surprisingly well. I like seeing them shrunk to model size.
Mar 03, 2015, 11:51 AM
How fast can balsa go?
Dick Dasterdly! I'm putting that in the plan. Thanks Mang.

The build is all done. She's already flying. I can post some construction photo's I took along the way if you like.
Mar 03, 2015, 12:21 PM
If you have photos, go ahead and post. And inflight photos.

or... If it isn't on youtube, it didn't happen
Mar 03, 2015, 01:17 PM
How fast can balsa go?
Here you go. The chuck glider that started it all, to the test flying in February in Canada. Green grass and beautiful skies. Amazing!
Mar 03, 2015, 02:01 PM
How fast can balsa go?
Quickie Q1 (1 min 12 sec)
Mar 03, 2015, 06:36 PM
Nice flying bird (almost looks like a pair of dragonflies mating LOL!).
Name: dragonflies.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 4.2 KB
Description:
Last edited by Fly Wheel; Mar 04, 2015 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Added image
Mar 04, 2015, 01:49 AM
Seems to fly like an airplane
I see that you like to keep the model close enough to see. You went pretty low on a couple of occasions.