ESR Meter - New updated version - Page 2 - RC Groups
Dec 01, 2015, 12:03 PM
Ken,

No problem with the charge readings; we all do it more as we get older so I check and check and still get it wrong!

Re temperature measurement, I agree about infra red meters; I gave up as various pack surfaces have different emissivities so I tried using a probe but it was round and about 3/16" diameter so it did not make good thermal contact and had significant thermal mass so it lagged the temperature.
I finally finished up with these which are ideal as they have virtually no thermal mass and can be sellotaped to the battery.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electroni...rmistors-61185

Wayne
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2015, 12:58 PM
If you want better repeatability with taped on probes, a dab of grease under the probe will eliminate any air gaps between the probe and the surface; doesn't take into account any gap between the covering and cells within, of course, which may be the true source of the variation, not the color of the wrapping. Although, some colors of the wrapping may also indicate a film that lays down better than other colors.
Dec 01, 2015, 01:48 PM
I retracted my 'color statement', as it was a 'rush to judgement' on my part. Besides having three different colors, they were three different capacities, duh, thus three different masses!

I measured them all later in the day, after they were 'cold soaked' longer in the basement and all were the same 16C.

Good tip on the grease. The probe end is just a bare wire on the unit I'm using. It lays down with tape very well against the 'side' covering of the middle cell.

The unit I'm using is a Signstek 3 1/2 6802 II Dual Channel Digital Thermometer with 2 K-Type Thermocouple Sensor Probe for BGA rework HVAC 1300C 2372F
http://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Chann.../dp/B00FFYEPVQ

It will actually measure in two places with the two probes. I would think it should be available in the UK and the rest of Europe as well.
Dec 01, 2015, 06:26 PM
Silicone grease is a good choice, as it is known to be non-conductive; important for bare thermocouple probes. There are other, better choices that are better heat conductors, but less commonly available.
Feb 15, 2016, 10:05 AM

ESR meter and Graphene batteries??

Wayne, I have your 1-6S, 500-10,000mAh unit and absolutely love it - THANKS! I just received some of Turnigy's new Graphene batteries and decided to test one of their 4S 1300mAh packs side-by-side with one of their Nano-Tech packs (also 4S 1300mAh).

When testing the Graphene pack, your meter gave me the pack results fine, but when I tried the cell readings, it only gave me the cell voltage and IR, not the alpha or maxI readings. Any ideas?
Feb 15, 2016, 10:11 AM
Did you set the battery capacity?
Feb 15, 2016, 10:27 AM
That was it, thanks. I set it on the first battery, and forgot on second. Dumb move on my part.
Feb 15, 2016, 10:42 AM

Turnigy Nano-Tech vs. Turnigy Graphene

Both batteries are 4S 1300 mAh.

Nano-Tech, rated 25/50C
Pack ESR - 41.7mOhm.
Cells: a23C, maxI=30.8A, 7.80-7.96mOhm
Graphene, rated 65C (no max rating seen)
Pack ESR - 26.7mOhm.
Cells: a33C, maxI=44.0A, 4.00-4.28mOhm
Based on the meter's assumed safe discharge rate of 6W/Ah (that's what I remember reading was the basis for Wayne's calculations), the Nano-Tech's rating of 25C and the meter's calculation of 23C, seems reasonable. However, there seems to be a discrepancy between the Graphene's 65C rating and the the meter's 33C calculation (approximately 1/2). Maybe this means that the 6W assumption for conventional LiPo's doesn't hold for Graphenes? Or is the Graphene being over rated?

Now to run discharge curves on both at 1C and 25C and measure the post discharge pack temps.
Last edited by Triggerscan; Feb 15, 2016 at 10:56 AM.
Feb 15, 2016, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerscan
Both batteries are 4S 1300 mAh.

Nano-Tech, rated 25/50C
Pack ESR - 41.7mOhm.
Cells: a23C, maxI=30.8A, 7.80-7.96mOhm
Graphene, rated 65C (no max rating seen)
Pack ESR - 26.7mOhm.
Cells: a33C, maxI=44.0A, 4.00-4.28mOhm
Based on the meter's assumed safe discharge rate of 6W/Ah (that's what I remember reading was the basis for Wayne's calculations), the Nano-Tech's rating of 25C and the meter's calculation of 23C, seems reasonable. However, there seems to be a discrepancy between the Graphene's 65C rating and the the meter's 33C calculation (approximately 1/2). Maybe this means that the 6W assumption for conventional LiPo's doesn't hold for Graphenes? Or is the Graphene being over rated?

Now to run discharge curves on both at 1C and 25C and measure the post discharge pack temps.
I think this is to be expected..

In real discharge testing I found that many 20C and 25C lipos were realistically rated and could really cope with that rate of continuous discharge rates.
I have discharged Turnigy Blue lipos rated at 20C at over 23C with no problem and an original GensAce 25C at 30C which was at its limit but OK.

The fiction starts at about 35 - 40C and the jokes at 65C, so that just halving all C claims is not a sensible rule of thumb.

It is a lottery but quite a lot of 20 and 25C claims are genuine but be suspicious of any claim of >35C.

Wayne
Feb 15, 2016, 02:49 PM

Graphene batteries

Wayne, from what I've been able to research, one of the limitations on the discharge rate has to do with limiting the destruction of the silicon particles in the carbon/silicon anode and it's limited surface area (solid rod). Some of the recent advances have been to encapsulate the silicon particles in an one-atom thick graphene coating which keeps the particles intact even after they crack and also protects them from electrolyte damage. In addition, the graphene (which is conductive) also increases the effective surface area of the anode thus increasing it's C rating.

What I meant by the 1/2 is that when I measured the Graphene battery with the Wayne Gile ESR meter, it rated the battery as 33C (roughly 1/2 of Turnigy's marking of 65C). But remember, the ESR rating of 33C is based on a calculation that assumes a safe power generation of 6W/Ah. If the Graphene batteries can handle higher power generation without damage, that may explain the higher manufacturer's rating. The ESR calculation may not adequately handle this new technology, OR the batteries are being over hyped.
Feb 15, 2016, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=

What I meant by the 1/2 is that when I measured the Graphene battery with the Wayne Gile ESR meter, it rated the battery as 33C (roughly 1/2 of Turnigy's marking of 65C). But remember, the ESR rating of 33C is based on a calculation that assumes a safe power generation of 6W/Ah. If the Graphene batteries can handle higher power generation without damage, that may explain the higher manufacturer's rating. The ESR calculation may not adequately handle this new technology, OR the batteries are being over hyped.[/QUOTE]

I agree and the Graphene's lower IR will generate less heat. (I squared R) but assuming that the materials are aproximately the same specific heat, the temperature rise will be about the same for the same dissipation. The heat generated at 65C will be 4 x the heat generated at 33C so unless the materials can withstand a much higher temperature, I would guess that the realistic C is around 35 - 40C. I have upped it a bit as the unit weight/ Ah is a bit larger.

Wayne
Aug 12, 2016, 06:46 AM
ESR METER End of production

I have decided to give up making the ESR meter mainly due to advancing age.
I only made the first one for my own use and was surprised how well it worked so I offered it on RCG expecting to sell perhaps 10 or so and that was almost 6 years ago. It turned into a near full time hobby which I found interesting and which made me a small profit; an ideal retirement scenario!

Hopefully, if nothing else, they have enabled people to accurately measure and compare lipos and help to debunk some of those wild C rating claims which were so common a few years back.
I made them all individually and several people asked whether I got bored with making the same thing, but the answer is that every time I built one and it worked and calibrated correctly, I always felt a little surge of satisfaction.

I am making a final batch, almost complete, and have a few available in stock. I have also despatched a batch to ProgressiveRC in Seattle so they are available now.

I would like to thank all of those who have supported it by buying one and making positive comments on RCG and particularly David Gray of ProgressiveRC who immediately offered to sell them and has been doing so ever since.
Anyone needing service, repairs or advice can still contact me on RCGroups and I will try to help.

Thanks once again everybody,

Wayne
Aug 12, 2016, 07:01 AM
ancora imparo
Wayne, I am sure many people around the world will be unhappy to hear this but I am also sure they would say you and Mark Forsyth made a very significant contribution to the practical understanding of model LiPo packs by your promotion of IR as as simple test of performance and provided the tool to prick the bubble of Unrealistic C rate Expectations.

I hope someone picks up the traces and offers to produce something as simple and elegant, but at the same time sophisticated, as your ESR meter. The HobbyKing ripoff of your meter might be convenient and cheap but it is no substitute.

I know I am not parting with mine!

Regards

John
Aug 12, 2016, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Giles
On no, say it ain't so.
Thanks so very, very, very much for such a useful tool!
Aug 12, 2016, 10:34 AM
Perhaps the good folks at ProgressiveRC would consider having them built under license? It would be a shame to see such a great tool vanish from the market.
Aug 12, 2016, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintr
Perhaps the good folks at ProgressiveRC would consider having them built under license? It would be a shame to see such a great tool vanish from the market.
Now that's a fantastic idea.
I've had my meter for, well since they first came out. I would not be without it.
Thank you for a sensational tool. It lives permanently in my tool box
I trust you will have a great retirement.
All the best

Chris

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Aug 12, 2016, 04:43 PM
Nooooooooooooooooo! Say it isn't so Wayne!

Well, consider me a member of the considerable group of modelers who are incredibly grateful for your work on the ESR Meter and your tremendous contributions to the community as a whole. Through your tireless efforts and patient tutelage, we are now a LOT better informed and there's little doubt that your contributions are directly responsible for the continued improvement that we've witnessed in lipoly performance over the last several years!

Enjoy your well-earned retirement from ESR Meter production. Bravo sir!

Mark
Aug 12, 2016, 06:10 PM
Let me add my thanks for a great tool. As others have said, mine is always nearby for checking new packs and verifying older ones.

Glen
Aug 13, 2016, 08:55 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
I am a production supervisor. Just saying... It don't have to die. *wink*

Rick
Aug 14, 2016, 02:39 PM
Thanks for all your kind comments.

I know the meter has been a useful tool, but it has been great fun developing it and making it and I only built it originally for my own satisfaction

I really believe that Mark and John have contributed as much, if not more than I to general understanding of lipos and bringing wild claims down to earth. We all co-operated to produce the "Lipotool" which brought some reality to lipo performance figures.

Wayne
Aug 21, 2016, 06:36 AM
ROV Pilot
Hi Wayne
Do you still have ESR meters for sale?
Best
Jim
Aug 21, 2016, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jijohans
Hi Wayne
Do you still have ESR meters for sale?
Best
Jim
Hi Jim,

Yes, although I have stopped making them, I still have a few left in stock.

If you want one send me a PM and I will return my e mail address to which you can send funds by paypal.
Price is still as per the first post on this thread.

Wayne
Sep 02, 2016, 10:53 PM
Mark Harrison
Quote:

I have decided to give up making the ESR meter mainly due to advancing age.
I only made the first one for my own use and was surprised how well it worked so I offered it on RCG expecting to sell perhaps 10 or so and that was almost 6 years ago. It turned into a near full time hobby which I found interesting and which made me a small profit; an ideal retirement scenario!

Hopefully, if nothing else, they have enabled people to accurately measure and compare lipos and help to debunk some of those wild C rating claims which were so common a few years back.
I made them all individually and several people asked whether I got bored with making the same thing, but the answer is that every time I built one and it worked and calibrated correctly, I always felt a little surge of satisfaction.

I am making a final batch, almost complete, and have a few available in stock. I have also despatched a batch to ProgressiveRC in Seattle so they are available now.

I would like to thank all of those who have supported it by buying one and making positive comments on RCG and particularly David Gray of ProgressiveRC who immediately offered to sell them and has been doing so ever since.
Anyone needing service, repairs or advice can still contact me on RCGroups and I will try to help.

Thanks once again everybody,

Wayne
Thanks Wayne, I have learned so much about by using mine, not even counting the practical value.

Any chance of releasing the schematics / code to someone who wants to continue production?
Sep 04, 2016, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar
Thanks Wayne, I have learned so much about by using mine, not even counting the practical value.

Any chance of releasing the schematics / code to someone who wants to continue production?
Mark,

Thanks for the thought.
I am in the process of doing exactly that with a regular RCG member at present.

Wayne
Nov 15, 2016, 11:01 AM
ESR METER - BACK IN PRODUCTION! (November 2016)

I gave up making the ESR meters three months ago but was immediately contacted by an RCGroups member who offered and, more important, wished to take up the mantle of producing them.
The member is Rick Distler, better known as "Rampman" on RCG and a regular purveyor of sensible and knowledgeable advice about Lipos.

Over the past three months I have passed over all the technical details, including circuit diagrams, component list, test and calibration procedures to Rick and he has been busy building and testing an initial batch of units.

I understand that he is now ready to start selling the meters again.
He is doing so with my full backing and I hope that he is supported by RCG members as some compensation for all the free advice and help he has given over the years. I will still be skulking in the background to help with any technical support if necessary.

Rick is based near Phoenix, Arizona which is better for United States customers where the bulk of meters are sold. I understand that he also intends to continue to support ProgressiveRC but no doubt Rick will be posting more detailed information shortly.

I wish him luck and hope that he gets as much satisfaction from making them as a hobby as I did.

Wayne
Nov 15, 2016, 11:27 AM
YAY! Glad to know that Rick is continuing your legacy, Wayne! He's fantastic!

Long live the ESR Meter!

- Mark
Nov 15, 2016, 02:14 PM
Wayne,

That is great news. I don't think you could have passed the project on to better hands. Rick is the man. Thanks.

Rick,

Thanks for picking up the ESR project. It's good to know we will continue to have support, and especially here in the USA.

Glen
Nov 15, 2016, 02:47 PM
Thanks Wayne and Mark. This slick little meter just can't die.
With that said I have ordered enough of most parts to build 1000 units. It is cheaper by the dozen and the only way I can afford to keep this going is if I have a little profit in there so it is worth my time. Neither Wayne nor I will get rich off of these but I am honored to continue enabling it's legacy.

I will also add that this little board has more 1% precision resistors than any of the boards that I build in my 9-5 job. (that is what I do) Every resistor but one very large one is 1% and to make my life easier and not have to match resistors down to 0.1% I ordered 5000 each of critical resistors (remember cheaper by the dozen). I had to order some 0.1% resistors off ebay to get me through until my reels come in and those I still have to match as the quality was not there.

The good thing is my original meter (Wayne's first revision), a meter that Wayne gave me 2 months ago as a sample to build to and all of the meters that I have hand built (9 so far) read the same IR.
Wayne is a perfectionist but that is what it takes to make this work. I had to pull some critical resistors and match them to get a certain value in series in order to pass Wayne's test.

Progressive RC will be my main outlet for these though I plan to market and sell outside of Progressive and not undercut their price as their margin is minimal as it is.

I am honored to keep this alive and can't thank Wayne enough for trusting me to build these going forward.

Rick
Nov 15, 2016, 05:08 PM
The unknown Targaryen......
Hey, this works great for me. Rick is LOCAL!

I don't expect my meter to be needing anything anytime soon though.
Still, it's good to know that a local boy has taken over the reins from Wayne. Good on ya Rick!

Joe
Nov 16, 2016, 03:27 PM
House of Paine
Go rampman...almost makes me want to buy a second one
Nov 17, 2016, 09:28 AM
LOL Kevin. Unlike chargers where 2 is always better than 1, other than having a different plug on the mains to avoid always swapping adapters I see no reason for anyone to have 2 of these...BUT I will gladly sell you a new one. LOL

Rick
Nov 18, 2016, 10:55 PM
Problems saying NO to new toys
Rick,

Got my meter today from your 1st build. Works great.... . You fellows will be
very happy with Rick's building skills.

I will be using it to test all my batteries. Thanks and keep up the good work.

John L.
Nov 18, 2016, 11:06 PM
Mark Harrison
Yippee, Great to see such a well respected community member take the reins from the master!

I've been fiddling with an external controller to make it more convenient to use... just a part-time work in progress, but it's actually usable in its present state.

Giles ESR Meter Automation (2 min 0 sec)
Nov 19, 2016, 04:57 AM
Mark,

Great - I am really impressed with that as an interesting extension to the meter.

As a further automated extension you could step the search lead from cell to cell and program the operating relay to take readings in sequence so that all the information on each cell is displayed in turn. No problem with adding series resistance into the search lead; it will not affect accuracy.

I will try to find out if it is possible to extract the results from the PIC so that you might be able to produce a fully automated rig and display and print out results with a computer.

Wayne

Wayne
Nov 20, 2016, 01:07 AM
Mark Harrison
Wayne, thanks! It would be great to have a fully automated rig.

Here's what I was thinking for the relay circuit... basically two relays per cell, one for each probe wire. Does this look right?
Nov 20, 2016, 10:06 AM
Quote:

Here's what I was thinking for the relay circuit... basically two relays per cell, one for each probe wire. Does this look right?

Mark,

I have asked Phil Green who designed all the software for the meter about extracting the results but unfortunately the processor is fully utilised and has no spare processing power available.

BTW, when you say in the video that setting the lipo capacity is "troublesome" it must be borne in mind that I asked Phil if it would be possible to upgrade the existing meter to perform all the extra tasks I wanted using just a software update and without an extra button. Within those limtations, I was very impressed with what he came up with as I thought it impossible.

The sketch you have come up with looks fine. You could use 3x 2pole relays to save cost.
It is very important to ensure that the timings ensure that two relays can never be energised together as this would produce short circuits on the cells with dire consequences. In any case I would reccomend that you put a 10ohm resistor in series with each of the balance leads which will ensure that a cell is never shorted and will not materially affect the results.

Wayne
Nov 20, 2016, 04:14 PM
Hittin Gaps With D Gains
Thanks for keeping this meter alive sir, now how and where can I purchase one of these for my tests?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman
Thanks Wayne and Mark. This slick little meter just can't die.
With that said I have ordered enough of most parts to build 1000 units. It is cheaper by the dozen and the only way I can afford to keep this going is if I have a little profit in there so it is worth my time. Neither Wayne nor I will get rich off of these but I am honored to continue enabling it's legacy.

I will also add that this little board has more 1% precision resistors than any of the boards that I build in my 9-5 job. (that is what I do) Every resistor but one very large one is 1% and to make my life easier and not have to match resistors down to 0.1% I ordered 5000 each of critical resistors (remember cheaper by the dozen). I had to order some 0.1% resistors off ebay to get me through until my reels come in and those I still have to match as the quality was not there.

The good thing is my original meter (Wayne's first revision), a meter that Wayne gave me 2 months ago as a sample to build to and all of the meters that I have hand built (9 so far) read the same IR.
Wayne is a perfectionist but that is what it takes to make this work. I had to pull some critical resistors and match them to get a certain value in series in order to pass Wayne's test.

Progressive RC will be my main outlet for these though I plan to market and sell outside of Progressive and not undercut their price as their margin is minimal as it is.

I am honored to keep this alive and can't thank Wayne enough for trusting me to build these going forward.

Rick
Nov 20, 2016, 04:59 PM
Either directly from me or Progressive RC. It is the same price from either.
If you go direct my paypal is
rampman@fmxramps.com

Rick
Nov 20, 2016, 07:41 PM
Hittin Gaps With D Gains
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman
Either directly from me or Progressive RC. It is the same price from either.
If you go direct my paypal is
rampman@fmxramps.com

Rick
Thanks for the information buddy, I ordered from the Progressive Rc site since I needed a few more items, thanks again
Nov 20, 2016, 09:18 PM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
Mark,

I have asked Phil Green who designed all the software for the meter about extracting the results but unfortunately the processor is fully utilised and has no spare processing power available.

BTW, when you say in the video that setting the lipo capacity is "troublesome" it must be borne in mind that I asked Phil if it would be possible to upgrade the existing meter to perform all the extra tasks I wanted using just a software update and without an extra button. Within those limtations, I was very impressed with what he came up with as I thought it impossible.

The sketch you have come up with looks fine. You could use 3x 2pole relays to save cost.
It is very important to ensure that the timings ensure that two relays can never be energised together as this would produce short circuits on the cells with dire consequences. In any case I would reccomend that you put a 10ohm resistor in series with each of the balance leads which will ensure that a cell is never shorted and will not materially affect the results.

Wayne
Indeed, maximum credit to Phil Green for doing the upgrade purely in software... I know that's not a high powered chip by any means!

I will definitely add the 10 ohm resistors. What's an appropriate wattage?
Nov 29, 2016, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Indeed, maximum credit to Phil Green for doing the upgrade purely in software... I know that's not a high powered chip by any means!

I will definitely add the 10 ohm resistors. What's an appropriate wattage?
Mark,

Apologies for long delay - I went away to calculate it, got distracted and forgot. Worst case would be 32W!! so I guess it would be better to use 1A fuses or very small resistors such as 0.25W which would just blow open circuit. Alternatively you could use resettable PTC fuses as long as the normal state is < 10 ohms. Simple fuses are probably best as it is a fault condition after all.

Wayne
Dec 13, 2016, 12:01 AM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
Mark,

Apologies for long delay - I went away to calculate it, got distracted and forgot. Worst case would be 32W!! so I guess it would be better to use 1A fuses or very small resistors such as 0.25W which would just blow open circuit. Alternatively you could use resettable PTC fuses as long as the normal state is < 10 ohms. Simple fuses are probably best as it is a fault condition after all.

Wayne
No problem Wayne, parts are coming in and I'm getting ready for the next step.

I'll have an update in a couple of days!!
Jan 13, 2017, 08:05 AM
Although I gave up making the meters some time ago and handed the production over to Rick Distler in the States, I have had seven requests for meters from UK and Europe so I decided (with Rick's agreement) to use up all my remaining components and make a final batch.

As a result I have a few meters available at 50 each + postage at cost. They are all the latest Universal version.
Rick has meters in production but is not yet geared up for export so in the short term I can supply them to most places EXCEPT the USA for obvious reasons.

Postal costs are:- To UK: 4.25, To Europe 6.50, To Rest of world 9.00.

If you want one, PM me and I will send payment details and e-mail address.

Wayne
Last edited by Wayne Giles; Jan 13, 2017 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Jan 13, 2017, 01:04 PM
Quote:

I don't like posting in someone thread, but, it so happens I've been working on this very thing the past months using electronic relays. Everything is working quite well. Absolutely no precision resistors are required for the IR measurements. 5% would be just fine. But I think the cost to build it will far exceed the ESR meter shown in this thread. The circuit board parts alone are around $65 or so.

Ref
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ircuitboard%21

Quick Reply