Helicopters and Multirotors - RC Groups
Feb 27, 2015, 01:28 AM
Discussion

Helicopters and Multirotors

This is the thread for the VTOL stuff.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2015, 03:39 AM
I have "discovered" quad copters. I know ...Johnny come lately but, curiosity finally got the best of me and I bought a great little quad to learn and have fun with. I don't have any plans to go beyond this small one but, it is a blast to fly. I bought the Dromida Ominus from Tower Hobby and it is great for flying indoors when the weather is bad. I've been leaning to control this thing (pretty easy) in my small shop area by hovering and shooting precision (?) landings. This thing is practically indestructible. I have probably hit everything in my shop at least 3 times and it's still going strong. If you want a small quad to bash around, this is the one. It's very stable and easy to fly if you have RC experience but, I've yet to overcome the nose-in hovering and maneuvering issue mainly because I'm in very close quarters.

Garry
Jun 14, 2015, 03:09 PM
Hiya, I live within earshot (literally, I hear you wonderful gents every day) of the field, but just applied for membership today. I'm already an AMA member.

I was wondering how welcoming the field would be to smallish quadcopters. I'm very conscious of cooperating with others, playing by the rules, and generally having a good time with the hobby we all love .. even if we love different aspects of it!

Though my back yard borders Corps of Engineers land, it'd still be nice to fly with others and learn.

Thanks in advance!
Jun 15, 2015, 08:32 AM
We'd be very welcoming, and welcome to you as a new member. There is a special area of the flying site just for helicopters and quads. It's the open area on the north end of the property between the runway and the utility shed. Planes have the right of way in the runway area, but if there aren't any flying obviously a helicopter pilot can go wherever he wants. Be advised though that the airfield is currently closed due to flooding and probably will be for a few more weeks.
Jun 15, 2015, 11:21 AM
Thanks! Since I live literally probably 800 yards from the front entrance to Mustang Creek, I'm all-too aware of the flooding issues.

Glad to know there'll be some like-minded folks I can come join, enjoy the hobby with and learn from!

Looking forward to a July, August and next several years with the club

Jason
Oct 12, 2015, 11:29 PM
Would love to meet someone at the field. I have a DJI F650 hex. I need a bit of help tuning it. It isn't as stable as I think it is supposed to be.
Oct 18, 2015, 10:05 PM
A few of us have multirotors, but it's not the main thing Tbirds is about. That's not to say they aren't welcome, because they are as long as they are flown safely. You might try to connect with the North Texas drone user group on www.meetups.com to find some drone enthusiasts who know more about tuning your flight controller though.
Feb 23, 2016, 12:12 PM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds

Quadcopter GPS Help Needed

Curiosity finally got the better of me and I got into a little do-it-yourself quadcopter project. Running into some trouble getting the GPS to work, though. I've spent hours searching online in various forums to no avail. I'm hoping someone local can give me some pointers.

The flight controller that I'm using is a illuminati32 (see picure) from Hobby king. It's the same thing as a Naze32 and I'm using Cleanflight Configurator to configure it.

The GPS unit is a Ublox Neo-M8N (see picture)

These are the physical connections I've made to the I2C connector...

illuminti32 Ublox M8N
+5V--------------->+5V
SDA--------------->SDA
SCL---------------->SCL
GND-------------->GND

Now it would seem this is pretty straight forward, but I'm missing some bit of setup information because when I make these physical connections the serial communication between the illuminati32 and my computer shuts down. Are the physical connections correct for I2C???

Can someone explain in simple English what the serial port setup in Cleanflight needs to be in order for this to work?

Please don't refer me to anymore forums...unless you know of one that specifically refers to the illuminati32/Ublox Neo-M8N connections and setup.

Thanks in advance...
Feb 23, 2016, 01:29 PM
You might do some research about the wiring. IIRC, when I set up my OSD for the 3DR controller, the +5 and gnd were supposed to be opposite each other instead of matched.
Oct 29, 2016, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbyrd
Curiosity finally got the better of me and I got into a little do-it-yourself quadcopter project. Running into some trouble getting the GPS to work, though. I've spent hours searching online in various forums to no avail. I'm hoping someone local can give me some pointers.

The flight controller that I'm using is a illuminati32 (see picure) from Hobby king. It's the same thing as a Naze32 and I'm using Cleanflight Configurator to configure it.

The GPS unit is a Ublox Neo-M8N (see picture)

These are the physical connections I've made to the I2C connector...

illuminti32 Ublox M8N
+5V--------------->+5V
SDA--------------->SDA
SCL---------------->SCL
GND-------------->GND

Now it would seem this is pretty straight forward, but I'm missing some bit of setup information because when I make these physical connections the serial communication between the illuminati32 and my computer shuts down. Are the physical connections correct for I2C???

Can someone explain in simple English what the serial port setup in Cleanflight needs to be in order for this to work?

Please don't refer me to anymore forums...unless you know of one that specifically refers to the illuminati32/Ublox Neo-M8N connections and setup.

Thanks in advance...
Did you ever get this sorted as i am trying to do the exact same thing at the moment?