Feb 27, 2015, 12:57 AM
Wada ya mean, over engineered?
Thread OP
Discussion

De Havilland DH.60 Gipsy Moth from Bill Northrop plans

My name is Robin and the DH.60 Gipsy Moth has been one of my favorite aircraft ever since I saw one framed up at an AMA show down in Ontario, California! I’ve only seen inquiries about this model here on RCG but no build logs and I hope to change that! I bought the plans several years ago and have spent hours thinking of how I’d build it, what details I’d add, and how I would finish it. Last Friday while looking at the 'Electric DH-60 Gipsy Moth?' thread, and viewing a post I did on the Laser Design Services laser cut short kit for the 1/4 scale Bill Northrop DH.60 Gipsy Moth my wife came up behind me and asked "What you looking at?" I told her 'a short kit of my dream plane' and after explaining to her what a short kit is, she says, "Our anniversary (32nd) is coming up, why don't you order it?" Well my order is being cut and I’m starting to collect materials for the build. One of the first items I ordered was the landing gear for the Hangar 9 quarter scale
De Havilland DH.82 Tiger moth since the aircraft I’m modeling utilizes the same gear, call it cheating if you want but for the price I couldn’t build one equal to it!
This is kind of a bucket list build so it’s not going to be quick and we’re getting ready to move so I’m not going to start the airframe construction until that’s done but I will be starting work on some of the smaller subassemblies (control horns, tiller bars for the rudder and elevators, various metal fittings and a fiberglass cowl) as time permits. The next post will contain information about the model and the one after that will have photos of the aircraft I’m (currently) planning on modeling. I’m a bit of a researchaholic and my DH.60 folder is pretty well stocked. If you have or need any info on the DH.60 feel free to post away!

Thanks for looking in!

Robin
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Feb 27, 2015 at 05:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2015, 12:58 AM
Thread OP

Bill Northrop DH.60 Gipsy Moth plans & construction articles

Bill Northrop built this model to compete in the 1961 AMA Nationals but took off and had engine problems, in the 1965 Nationals it placed third in scale. Twelve years later plans were made available and a construction article appeared in June 1977 issue of Model Builder magazine, in August 1978 a Gipsy Moth Addendum article appeared in Model Builder showing how to make the wings foldable! I ordered the Laser Design Services laser cut kit for these plans and they should be arriving any day now. The attachments are scans of the above articles that were downloaded here on RC Groups.
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Feb 27, 2015 at 01:10 AM.
Feb 27, 2015, 12:59 AM
Thread OP

1929 DH.60M Metal Moth cn 1446 G-AANL

G-AANL is the aircraft I'm currently planning on modeling, I still have time before I commit and it could possibly change. G-AAMY was another favorite but since shes a movie star (she appeared in the movie 'Out of Africa') and shes already been modeled several times, I leaning towards something a little different. I've never seen a DH.60 model painted in this scheme so without further a due may I present G-AANL.
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Feb 27, 2015 at 11:11 AM.
Feb 27, 2015, 04:27 PM
Subscribed!
Feb 27, 2015, 09:23 PM
I meant to do that
Of course I'm in on this one Robin!
Feb 28, 2015, 07:05 AM
1st to the scene of the crash
Me too!
Latest blog entry: Building the sig astro-hog
Feb 28, 2015, 02:17 PM
Thread OP

Engine selection

Appreciate you all coming along for the ride! First off this project is up next on the build list, and as I'm finishing off the AST FunCub (got to have something to fly at the house during the building breaks) I'm collecting stuff for the build and still researching a few things. The Laser Design Services short kit comes with all the cut parts (you provide all the sheet and stick stock) I felt the accuracy of laser cutting all those ribs and sub ribs alone justified the purchase. After looking at all the metal fittings needed for the build I wish someone offered a laser cut kit for them as well, but I've worked with metal quite a bit and should be able to get them knocked out before too long.

Went back to the doctor for some pills for the poison oak spreading across my face and down my neck, he said, "These are real strong and they may keep you up"! Well, I was up until 5 am looking at motors to power this project with!

One thing to consider on the motor selection is that you’ll notice (for those not that familiar with it) is some Gipsy Moths have the exhaust running down the left side of the plane and some down the right, the British and Canadian built DH.60’s Gipsy engines turned anti-clockwise and the exhaust ran down the left side of the fuselage while the American built Moth Aircraft Corporation (M.A.C.) DH.60’s turned clockwise and had a mirror image fuselage (exhaust down the right and the entry doors on the left)! I mention this because it may impact (change) which aircraft I wind up modelling.

I've been troubling over the power for this model for some time. Most of my planes are electric and I like the cleanliness, power, convenience of electric power, and I could easily reverse the rotation and use a pusher prop to have the correct rotation for a British built variant BUT while I found the motor and ESC’s for larger models affordable the battery packs are pretty crazy if you plan on flying much! You probably have already figured out where this is heading as this thread landed here in the ‘Fuel’ Giant Scale Planes forum, but if ever a model begged for the sound of a four-stroke responding to the pilots throttle commands, I would think that a DH.60 Gipsy Moth would be most deserving of it! So I’ve been looking into engines to power it with and the requirements would be that A. it’s a four-stroke (either Gas or glow) and that it be able to swing a scale sized 18” propeller. While the O.S. IL-300 Dia Star would look real nice in her, at $2500.00 (plus another $350.00 for the exhaust manifold) it's pretty much out of the running! My best friend and flying buddy since 5th grade Lane D. (northrop n9m) has graciously offered the use of a 1.20 or 1.50 that he has available to power it but I’ve been looking also looking into some of the Saito four-stroke ‘gas’ engines as well. The Saito FG-21 (1.25 cu. in.) is a reasonably priced gas four-stroke but the specs show the max prop size of a 16x8 2 blade and I’d have to see if you could possibly get away with a finer pitch larger diameter prop like an 18x6 2 blade, Unfortunately in their gas line up the next step up is the FG-30 (1.80 cu. in.) which will swing the 18x6 but is a bit pricey and would probably only need to fly at 1/3rd or half throttle for spirited performance (the original model flew very scale like with a two stroke Fox .59)! The reason I’m looking into the Gassers more than the glow engines is the price of the fuel and the selection of my finishing process, with a gas engine I can paint the model with Latex and not have to overcoat it with clear polyurethane! Sorry for such a long post but just wanted to share where I'm at with it.
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Feb 28, 2015 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added comment
Feb 28, 2015, 04:46 PM
Thread OP
I completely forgot about a suggestion northrop n9m made about looking into RCV model engines, I looked into them after the last post and I think I might have located a motor. They're geared 2:1 so they can turn scale props and the RCV90-SP can turn up to a 18x10 two bladed prop (I'm looking at starting with an 18x6) and the RCV120-SP can turn up to a 20x12 two bladed prop! The RCV90 ($344.00) would probably fly it fine but the RCV120 (428.00) would have more of a power reserve for my heavier building tendency's! They also have an in cowl Pitts style muffler available and if I fitted it facing up I could it route out and then down the appropriate side of the plane (if it's acceptable to to run exhaust extensions in it). Due to the small cooling area they do have pretty strict air cooling requirements and I'll probably have to make some cooling baffles for it.
Feb 28, 2015, 06:17 PM
Thread OP

1929 DH.60GMW Gipsy Moth cn 86 (N585M) G-AAMY

The easier route (but still very attractive) route would be to do G-AAMY (remarked G-AAMT and had some trim added to the tail for her role in 'Out of Africa') due to the Saito 180's normal rotation being correct and the exhaust exiting on the correct side!

Here's a clip of the main flying scene from the movie, a couple of profiles I drew of her, and one I commissioned French artist Bertrand Brown (aka GaŽtan Marie) to 'paint' for me (with a sample section of the full size print to show the level of detail in his work, unbelievable" and a couple more pic's of the aircraft.

A Glimpse of the World Through God's Eye - Out of Africa (7/10) Movie CLIP (1985) HD (3 min 30 sec)

Incidentally, Tom Danaher, the pilot who flew the plane in the movie, was a WWII fighter pilot and was credited with the last official air to air kill of the war!
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Mar 09, 2015 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Added comment and title
Feb 28, 2015, 09:07 PM
I think I will order the same short kit and follow along....

Gordon
Feb 28, 2015, 10:48 PM
Thread OP
Gordon,

Great! The more the better and maybe we can learn from each other along the way! I don't know what it was but when I first saw it all framed up and assembled at Bill Northrop's plans booth (had to be 15 or so years ago) at my first AMA convention, it had me spell bound, it's such a thing of beauty!

Since then I've acquired everything I could get my hands on (or afford) on the DH.60, plans, books, art work, I just ordered a set of DH.60G maintenance and rigging manuals on CD from a guy in Australia, and collected a file that's grown to 4.30 GB with photos, videos, art, technical drawings, construction articles, magazine articles, you name it, INCLUDING a set of files for all the different variants with files on all the surviving tail numbers under each group! This was acquired over literally hundreds of hours of internet searches. So if you decide on a specific aircraft and would like information on it or need some other DH.60 info, PM me and we'll see if we can save you some time and get you what you need! I can upload files to drop box and then give you a link to where you can download them from.

I admit that I'm a bit of a researchaholic and probably spend way too much time on the computer! When this thread get's changed from a 'discussion' thread to a 'build log' thread I'll probably go to weekly or bi-weekly updates so I can put more energy into the build rather than on the keyboard!
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:12 PM.
Mar 01, 2015, 07:56 AM
Thread OP

1930 DH.60M Moth Special cn 1542 G-AAXG (ZK-AEJ)

While still in the discussion stage one other DH.60 worth considering or at least that would make an interesting (unusual) model would be DH.60M Moth Special G-AAXG. It was entered in the 1930 Kings Cup air race and placed 2nd with the highest official speed of 129.7 mph! It would require quite a bit of work as this aircraft had several streamlining modifications - A more streamlined cowl with stub exhaust (easier with a four stroke installation?), several stringers added to give it a rounder shape, head rest fairing, and a highly reduced profile center wing fuel tank with a unusual 'V' cabaine strut arrangement! Any one mod wouldn't present an unusual challenge (with the possible exception of the more complex cowl) but all together it would require some thought and work but would turn out a striking example! It's hard to believe that most of the surviving DH.60's have been around for 86 years now!
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Mar 09, 2015 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Punctuation :( & revised Title
Mar 01, 2015, 08:51 AM
This is going to be good.....you have a tremendous amount of documentation which will be great...I have a lot of info on the Tiger moth, but not all in digital form and not as organized as yours....

I bought the Northrop plan years ago but have misplaced it in the house....will have to do a bit of a search.....

I never heard about the racing version, although I'm partial to that long exhaust pipe on the dh 60's.
Mar 01, 2015, 08:56 AM
My dad has an RCV120....it will be imperative that you get ductwork in place to move air across those fins....he made the ductwork using the lost foam method and glassed it.
Mar 01, 2015, 09:19 AM
Thread OP

1929 DH.60GM Gipsy Moth cn 48 (M.A.C. built) NC236K

Another very nice example of a Moth Aircraft Corporation DH.60GM Gipsy Moth is NC236K. The owner, Gary Sewall (gipsymoth236k) started the 'Electric DH-60 Gipsy Moth?' thread here on RC groups. If your interested in this model you may want to go there and at least look through the thread attachments as a lot of good material was passed along on that thread - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...+Gipsy+Moth%3F After posting some of my profiles on his thread (and I am an amateur artist) the response spurred me to do a couple more (six I think) including a few of his beautiful ship, it was the first time I had a chance to work with some one while working on a profile rather than strictly working from a collection of photo's & my first attempt at drawing wire wheels! I'd do some work and send it to him for critique and he'd send back what he thought needed to be changed (change's - the beauty of digital illustration!) and working together we were able to come up with something we both were pretty happy with! I might add that he sent me a wealth of support information on the DH.60 (photo's, drawings, etc.) during all this, I haven't done much more drawing lately but I feel that his probably were the at the high end of my drawing efforts and I learned a lot from the experience! So here's NC236K in profile and in photo's and a video of the wings being folded.
1929 DH60GM Gipsy Moth Antique Biplane Wing Folding.avi (1 min 9 sec)
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Mar 09, 2015 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Added title

Quick Reply