Articulated swept wings for the Avitron - RC Groups
Feb 27, 2015, 12:16 AM
Wildlife Artist / RC Designer
Gallery

Articulated swept wings for the Avitron

Here are some photos of my articulated prototype wings for the Avitron. As of right now they are on my "crash test dummy" bird. Later they will be refined and added to my Reinvented Avitron barn swallow.
I have not flown it yet due to the weather here right now, and it may be a month or more before the weather allows it. But having passed my stress tests I'm pretty confident that it will fly, and impressively so.

I started a build log a while back which got a little side tracked, but there was a link to a video showing the very cool wing motion. Included here are still photos of the wings in various stages.

I always intended to articulate my Avitrons, and I finally got around to it. Birds should flap like birds, not like bugs. Lol. And it definitely looks more birdlike now. ;-)
Last edited by DaVinciBrainchld; Feb 27, 2015 at 12:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2015, 01:50 PM
There's magic in those wings !
That's a lot of fine work .... god job ... can't wait to see it fly

Khaled
Feb 27, 2015, 05:38 PM
When you do the flight test ... I really want to know if it will flap slower and if it will have more thrust ...

Thanks

Khaled
Feb 27, 2015, 08:35 PM
Thanks Khaled, it was a lot of tedious work. Working on such a small scale everything has to be so exact.

To answer your point of interest, I can tell you this - if I put an original stiff wing on one side and my articulated wing on the other, then set the bird on the stand in the photos; when I throttle it up the new articulated wing quickly pushes the bird toward the original wing side. Which I should think shows the articulated wing has much more thrust. It's actually very impressive to watch. I had a proud little moment the first time I tried it. Lol

- DaVinci
Feb 28, 2015, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVinciBrainchld
Thanks Khaled, it was a lot of tedious work. Working on such a small scale everything has to be so exact.

To answer your point of interest, I can tell you this - if I put an original stiff wing on one side and my articulated wing on the other, then set the bird on the stand in the photos; when I throttle it up the new articulated wing quickly pushes the bird toward the original wing side. Which I should think shows the articulated wing has much more thrust. It's actually very impressive to watch. I had a proud little moment the first time I tried it. Lol

- DaVinci
Thanks DaVinci ... Please do post a video of it .. if you can I'm really interested

Khaled
Mar 01, 2015, 12:21 AM
Sadly this site won't let you upload videos. And i have no interest in setting up an account on YouTube for the whole world to see, when i just want to share with a few here. I tried posting a link to a video on my flickr page on my build log, but the video wouldn't play without being uploaded by the viewer. Which i wasn't overly happy about and neither was anyone else. So for now I'm just sharing photos. :-/
Last edited by DaVinciBrainchld; Mar 01, 2015 at 01:29 AM.
Mar 01, 2015, 12:49 AM
No problem
Mar 01, 2015, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVinciBrainchld
Here are some photos of my articulated prototype wings for the Avitron. As of right now they are on my "crash test dummy" bird. Later they will be refined and added to my Reinvented Avitron barn swallow.
I have not flown it yet due to the weather here right now, and it may be a month or more before the weather allows it. But having passed my stress tests I'm pretty confident that it will fly, and impressively so.

I started a build log a while back which got a little side tracked, but there was a link to a video showing the very cool wing motion. Included here are still photos of the wings in various stages.

I always intended to articulate my Avitrons, and I finally got around to it. Birds should flap like birds, not like bugs. Lol. And it definitely looks more birdlike now. ;-)
Nice work regards Brian
Mar 01, 2015, 10:16 PM
Thanks Brian. Glad it's appreciated. :-)
Mar 02, 2015, 07:23 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
you can set the video to private if you upload it to YouTube, and share the link here so that only those who are on this thread can see it
Mar 03, 2015, 12:05 AM
I will keep that in mind. Thanks.
Sep 14, 2017, 09:09 PM
Update: over time the added stress of the articulated wings seems to have whore on the gearbox too much. The flapping is now spiratic - it stops and starts, stops and starts, while trying to fly. In all honesty, I always figured that would happen, but I couldn't resist modifying it anyway. Lol. No harm, no foul, I have plenty of other Avitrons in the aviary that still fly the sky. :-)