This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 25, 2015, 05:37 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

ME 163 Komet

I was asked about my ME-163 komet plans that I had done a while ago. The first version I did used a single ply wing with a couple of spars, however due to the rear mounted motor and the balast needed to get the right CG, the wing had too much flex and I wasn't really happy with it. So I doubled the leading edge of the wing, changed the spar type and location, added a cross spar, doubled the lower fuse to better withstand landings and made it a rocket glider. Step by step photos are included. I was almost able to keep it on one sheet, just the tail extension didn't fit.

Update 6/2015
I've since also flown it with my grayson microjet V-3 motor and an 800mah 3s pack and it flies very well. I had to add a touch of extra nose weight but it carries it really well, it will fly at almost full up elevator and not stall out, inverted takes almost no forward stick, really a nice performing pusher.

39" span.
Frank
Last edited by burkefj; Dec 02, 2015 at 10:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2015, 01:30 PM
Thread OP
Add the gray bottom and green top paint, need to work on panel lines and markings next.
Feb 26, 2015, 06:26 PM
Thread OP
Did some panel lines during lunch, and started making some markings out of trim monokote....Looking much better now.
Feb 27, 2015, 12:48 AM
Thread OP
Finished up!
Feb 27, 2015, 12:29 PM
Thread OP
Got in six flights this morning. It seems to want to pitch over once off the rod, sometimes is is more sudden than others, I'm thinking since I'm boosting slightly tail heavy that is probably making it pitch sensitive...however once I pitch back up and it has burned some propellent, it climbs hands off. Glide is very good and I'm able to hit the runway every time

Video will be at:

ME 163 Komet Rocket power RC boost glider (5 min 3 sec)
Last edited by burkefj; Jul 28, 2015 at 03:24 PM.
Mar 04, 2015, 11:57 AM
Crazy Canuck
Is there a way to "Lock" the control surfaces and launch it like a rocket and then when you get at max height release the control surface and then fly? That might help out on the pitch issues. Nice job on the model and that looks like fun to fly too. Also a good way t o up real high real fast.
Mar 04, 2015, 12:05 PM
Thread OP
Hi, I'm not touching the controls till it pitches over, so locking the controls I think would be a bad idea as you could not pull up if needed...I think it's just a tad bit tail heavy on launch and is pitch sensitive, but I set it up this way so I'm not too nose heavy on glide...You can see on the first flight it doesn't do it at all, so it's not every time I needed to pull back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEFLYER
Is there a way to "Lock" the control surfaces and launch it like a rocket and then when you get at max height release the control surface and then fly? That might help out on the pitch issues. Nice job on the model and that looks like fun to fly too. Also a good way t o up real high real fast.
Jun 11, 2015, 04:38 PM
Thread OP
Here she is flying with my pusher motor pod installed in the rocket mount and with the BEC replaced with an ESC.

RC ME 163 Komet Parkjet flight (5 min 31 sec)
Mar 22, 2016, 09:19 AM
Printed the plans, and cut out all of the parts. Completed the basic airframe with minimal issues. The top and bottom fuse parts required a little adjustment to fit properly which is to be expected. Sort of fitting the rocket in the background is another one of German's wonder weapons the V2.
Mar 23, 2016, 12:53 PM
The ME-163 set up in parkflyer configuration ready to fly.
Mar 28, 2016, 03:40 PM
Flew the ME-163 this weekend. Flies great across the entire envelop, slow to fast. It does great rolls, almost perfectly axial. Iíll mess with the exponential to smooth it out even more, but itís not going to need much. Next up is trying it out with the rocket power in April.

Excellent design, you have here Frank, can't thank you enough for providing the plan.
Mar 28, 2016, 05:12 PM
Thread OP
Thanks John, it's nice to get some feedback from folks, that looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bergsmith
Flew the ME-163 this weekend. Flies great across the entire envelop, slow to fast. It does great rolls, almost perfectly axial. Iíll mess with the exponential to smooth it out even more, but itís not going to need much. Next up is trying it out with the rocket power in April.

Excellent design, you have here Frank, can't thank you enough for providing the plan.

Quick Reply