This thread is privately moderated by Larrikin, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 07, 2015, 08:38 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Oh you're supposed to do a tester first on new molds? Maybe I wouldn't have done the full carbon DS Waxa for Andrew with cool paint scheme and Expanding epoxy D Box for the first pull on my molds haha lol

Rubicon looks awesome Dave, So cool how many home brews are in Aus
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2015, 10:15 PM
Everything's A Compromise
Thread OP
I've started on the fuse plug.

If you saw the Wabbit thread, you'd have seen that I anguished about the over-sized fin.

Anxiety managed.
Mar 07, 2015, 11:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON
Oh you're supposed to do a tester first on new molds?
Funny ... I must admit to have never had the patience to do a test in the past.
And thinkin about it, I doubt I'll change now

Definitely a glass starter, Tim. The carbon Wabbit worked straight from the packet cos there wasn't anything "new" about it ... for me.

The first Rubicon will be a 4 servo wing, with elevons on the outer surfaces and just elevator on the inner which IS something new ... for me.

D.
Last edited by Larrikin; Jan 24, 2018 at 12:08 AM.
Mar 08, 2015, 01:36 AM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin
The first Rubicon will be a 4 servo wing, with elevons on the outer surfaces and just elevator on the inner which IS something new ... for me.
D.
That's what I have on my Circa. I mix the full trailing edge as elevator however. Less drag that way. Matin came to the same conclusion with his 3 servo Bluto.
I also do the same on my 3 servo planks.
Mar 09, 2015, 11:15 PM
Thread OP

Wing Bolt Recess

Rubicon Wing Bolt Recesses (0 min 38 sec)
Mar 12, 2015, 01:03 PM
Thread OP
Being a DS model, and understanding my flying style , the Rubicon needs to be able to be built with the least amount time and energy.

Using an idea I came up with a while back, cutting the foam core blanks has been made pretty efficient I reckon.

D.

Edit: I realised after the video was stopped that I'd forgotten the span cut at the very tip of the wing ... D'oh!!!
It wouldn't have mattered in this instance due to it being an end cut and the amount cut off the end was minimal.
Plus, the blank wouldn't have fitted into the core cutting jig ... but that's for the next instalment.

CuttingTheBlanks (5 min 22 sec)
Last edited by Larrikin; Mar 12, 2015 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Added edit
Mar 12, 2015, 01:37 PM
Entropy is happening!
I look forward to the next installment Dave.
I'm keen to give this foam core moulded wing concept a go too one day. So, I will watch and learn.
Mar 12, 2015, 03:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
I look forward to the next installment Dave.
I'm keen to give this foam core moulded wing concept a go too one day. So, I will watch and learn.
Learn??? From me???? A perfect example of the blind leading the blind

I've never done it before.

Be prepared to read some s followed by some more s with the occasional en thrown in
Mar 12, 2015, 03:04 PM
Auzzie built planks
As long as the dummy spits and are filmed
Latest blog entry: More colours
Mar 12, 2015, 03:06 PM
Entropy is happening!
Yes. We demand full disclosure!
Mar 12, 2015, 03:13 PM
Thread OP
Yikes ... I'll get kicked off RCG
Mar 12, 2015, 08:05 PM
Thread OP

The next instalment

My core cutting jigs.

CoreJig (1 min 35 sec)
Mar 14, 2015, 08:50 PM
Thread OP

My first hanger flight

It's moments like these that keep the enthusiasm levels high.

I made a template for cutting wing skin material.
A few hours later I thought, " hang on, ... I can put that on the fuse plug!!"

It looks freakin' awesome if I may say so.

The moulds are painted. I should have some material in them today or tomorrow.

I'm trialling a method I haven't seen before. Wish me luck.

I'm endeavouring to make a composite model without having to fluff around with a vacuum set up.

D.
Last edited by Larrikin; Mar 14, 2015 at 08:56 PM.
Mar 14, 2015, 08:56 PM
Entropy is happening!
Looks good Dave. Nice long tail moment for dynamic soaring to control tail waggle through the shear!
Mar 14, 2015, 09:36 PM
Auzzie built planks
Looks great Dave..

And I agree with a simple no vacuum method. There is no real need if layer up carefully. The only real reason for me to vacuum is to hold the core down solid.
Like sean burners he made with no core just carbon lay up. 'm sure they would have come out just as perfect with no vacuum. Just a very small amount heavier. Same with the fuse. I did a lot of warhead fuses just layer up and wet seam join with splooge.
Latest blog entry: More colours

Quick Reply