This thread is privately moderated by Larrikin, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 17, 2017, 06:25 AM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Really top work Dave. I remember when Dave came to my place and we started drawing up the wing in Rhino. in preparation for cutting the moulds. He was totally clear in his mind about the exact planform, dihedral, etc. He had kept "panel" sections in the planform so it made it more possible to hot wire foam cores if he wanted to do that in the future. Because he was so sure, it didn't take long to draw it up, where other guys might have found it hard to choose between various options and the opinions of others. That's the way he is - he decides what the aim of the project is and holds to it unswervingly. I know he's genuine when he says he can live with the loss of the plane because that flight has confirmed the design and moved him to the next phase of the project. Great work.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2017, 01:14 PM
Auzzie built planks
Bloody awesome , and great project that gives another tick the planks great work from all involved , and looking forward to you building some more Dave and flying with us at cactus MORE
Latest blog entry: More colours
Jan 17, 2017, 06:40 PM
Everything's A Compromise
Thread OP
Steve,
Great to see you're keeping your finger on the pulse. Haven't seen you on the groups for a while. I trust you're recovering as good as expected.

Alex,
A heartfelt thanks for taking that R300 to the limit. With further refining maybe we can unlock some more potential.
I think I've watched Lee's video >20 times.

A question I forgot to ask was, what was your impression of the turns?
I know that's vague so allow me to clear what I'm attempting to ask.
I purposefully left the section inboard of the elevons fixed in an endeavor to create a sort of snap-flap effect in the turn. The elevons create the pitch that presents the fixed panel at a higher AOA, generating lift. I understand that doing so disrupts the lift distribution and creates drag. My gamble was that the lift generated by the higher AOA exceeded the drag created by the disrupted lift distribution (everything's a compromise), helping the model to "bounce" from the turn similar to the snap-flap effect on a B or F model.
I may be grasping at straws but how did it "feel" in the turn compared to a model with full span elevons? Particularly the bottom turn. No big deal if you don't recall. I'll just have to send you another R300 to answer the question.

Andrew,
Andrew, Andrew, Andrew. It's cliche but words cannot convey my gratitude for your involvement in this model. You're aware it's been a tumultuous few years and having a project like the Rubicon has been cathartic and stabilizing.
"That's the way he is - he decides what the aim of the project is and holds to it unswervingly."
Yeeeeah ... not sure Geoff_S would agree with you on that

Tim,
What a ride. Prior to the Warbit, if you'd ask me to build a plank my reply would have been along the lines of, ... "Why? Why would I build an aeroplane without a tail?". I think I speak on behalf of the world's plankers when I say thank you for sharing your planking experience and encouraging more of us to have a good plank. I've mentioned before that a plank is honest. It keeps no secrets. IMO, a plank is either right or it's not. And when it's right ... it's so cool.

This is an ongoing journey and I'm loving every step.

DV
Jan 18, 2017, 06:02 PM
Thread OP

Build #4 is underway

2 x coats of wax applied using the method already discussed HERE.
I preferred to mask the mould flanges, not just the trim lines.
Most are probably thinking, "psycho ... WFT?"
I like working with clean. Call it being Virgo or OCD .... whatever. That's just what I like.
I have some appointments today and tomorrow and the weekend is looking too humid to paint.
Perhaps I can squeeze in a squirt before the weekend.
Jan 18, 2017, 07:22 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Nice Dave! I see you masked over the green tape so you cant remove... Something I would do lol
Jan 18, 2017, 07:26 PM
Thread OP
Ding ding ding ... we have a winner.
Mask flanges first, then add lines.
Jan 19, 2017, 11:59 PM
Thread OP
Moulds waxed, masked and painted.
Allow 3.5 hours from start up to clean up.
Actually, I think I'll keep a time log in the original thread post.
D.

EDIT: That 3.5 hours does NOT include drying time between wax coats.
Last edited by Larrikin; Jan 21, 2017 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Edit added
Jan 20, 2017, 12:15 AM
Thread OP

You get what you pay for ....

I'm just reminding myself to buy value, not cheap.
From my local discount hardware store came 5 x rolls of masking tape for $5.00.
Cheap, but not value.
In the image, I've masked the desired line with a quality trim line tape. The green one.
Then apply the general masking material to said green tape with el cheapo masking tape.
Yeah nup ... it just kept lifting off the green tape. And as soon as you go near it with the spray gun,
it just squirts paint under the masking almost defeating the purpose of masking in the first place.

Ok, I'm being a little melodramatic, but the paint that does go under the masking is preventable by
using a quality masking tape.
D.
Jan 20, 2017, 01:38 AM
Gliders ain't drones!
302!!! Fantastic!

-= Dave
Jan 20, 2017, 02:18 AM
The Rubicon has proven itself well and truly. Well done Dave - that's a load of your design shoulders
John
Jan 20, 2017, 02:24 AM
Thread OP
Thank you gents
Jan 21, 2017, 03:35 AM
Thread OP
I must have watched the 302 video >20 times.
It's great in the highest definition ... worth waiting for the load time.

I cant help but think that even if everything was at it's best, I wouldn't have had the reflexes (anymore) to prevent that ending.
Resigning myself to the fact that I'll probably never get to 300mph as a pilot, I'm better to direct my energy at getting the airframe to ever higher achievements.
If I'm going to go fast with a model and bring it home most of the time, I'll need to use a gyro.
Both #1 & #2 Rubicons died on the first DS outings.
I'll need a better record than that or it'll get old pretty quick.

D.
Jan 21, 2017, 08:27 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Gyros have been enabling a lot of guys to go fast and bring back their models in one piece. I'm all for them!! I also occasionally use them in foamies to enable myself to actually be able to get laps in when its rough.

Also, 300 with a 60" plane is like 500 with a 3m... Just need bigger planes lol
Jan 21, 2017, 10:03 PM
608 km/h!
Dave, maybe you could twist Brent's arm to sell you the K100 one day. It is the mere mortal person 300 mph enabler!
Gyro is a really good idea too
Jan 22, 2017, 05:04 AM
Themadartist

Missing the point ???

David, I think I just saw it suggested that you should now make a 3m Rubicon.

Or did I miss something ???

Quick Reply