This thread is privately moderated by Larrikin, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 20, 2015, 04:50 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Agree with the lower speeds. Pays to have it on a switch to turn it off and on. The aforementioned orange rx one turn the gyro function on and off via Aux1
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2015, 04:53 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
On the wing, I turn the pitch and yaw gain off and only use the roll gain only and you have to turn it down lower than you think. Basically you set it about midway, then ever so slowly keep turning it down till it stops shaking. Takes a steady hand to get the fine adjustments, was planning on making a right angled tool to allow easier fine adjustment. Upi guys saw me thrashing my Beevo at the NZ DS Fest in the fog at Cass peak. Really works well
May 21, 2015, 05:53 PM
Everything's A Compromise
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON
On the wing, I turn the pitch and yaw gain off and only use the roll gain only and you have to turn it down lower than you think.
Brilliant ... that's what I had planned, but I didn't know if it would be possible due to things unknown to me. With the correct CG I'm confident that pitch stability is fine. It's being rolled by turbulence when you're looking at the model in "plan view" (ie the bottom turn) and unable to notice the roll change in time. THAT'S what I'm hoping to improve.

Quote:
Basically you set it about midway, then ever so slowly keep turning it down till it stops shaking.
In the PMs I had with David (OpenAero2) he said, "I'm not sure you'd want to risk that model during all the setup and experimentation that you'd need to find settings that might work for you."

My reply, "Meh ... I've got the molds".

That contradicts the purpose of using the FC but an investment in loss (if there is any during the set up phase) could pay handsomely.

D.
May 21, 2015, 06:01 PM
Thread OP
If there is a secret to the early success of the Rubicon, it is THIS
There's some distinguished lineage right there.
That's a great thread
May 21, 2015, 06:56 PM
Thread OP
I hadn't seen this before.
It's a great visual of

Edit:- Duh ... I just found the app.
Told you I wasn't good with techy things
Last edited by Larrikin; May 21, 2015 at 09:44 PM. Reason: edit
May 24, 2015, 06:04 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Most important thing is to be able to switch the gyro off, if the gains are horribly wrong, just switch it off. You don't want to see big corrections on the surfaces when you wobble it back and forth in your hands. Only slight corrections
May 24, 2015, 06:55 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Alex,
Message received loud and clear.
I have AR 635 rx in a FunCub. Your point of small corrects is evident with that let alone something doing 200mph.
D.
Jun 05, 2016, 04:51 AM
Thread OP

I mentioned to Tim around December 2015 that I'd start building Rubicons for the 2016 season.

"We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. Discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons."
Jim Rohn

So now I regret not being disciplined.

For the sake of simplicity and repeatability I've decided to have three versions of the Rubicon.
Rubicon 100 (100-200 mph)
Rubicon 200 (200-300 mph)
Rubicon 300 (300+ mph)

I've started building a 200 which I will blog as I go. The build won't be as fast as the first two cos I wasn't employed full time back then.

D.
Jun 05, 2016, 06:04 AM
DS Addict
Great to hear you are getting the Rubicon builds going again, Dave. A 200mph version sounds like the perfect remedy to your sad tale of regret, but really it's more a tale of life getting in the way of the special things, and the Rubicon sure is a special little creation. Good on you!
Jun 05, 2016, 06:17 AM
Auzzie built planks
Awesome fella
Latest blog entry: More colours
Jun 05, 2016, 06:20 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Excellent news. Go you good thing!
Jun 06, 2016, 03:34 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Woop! More home brew action!
Jun 24, 2016, 07:08 PM
Thread OP
Nose cone #3 came out this morning. Not much, I know. But it's progress.
Started about 4pm yesterday, trimmed about 7pm, watched the Panthers beat The Rabbitos, joined about 10.30pm and released about 7.30am today.
#lovehotboxes.

D.
Jun 25, 2016, 03:43 AM
Themadartist

Slowly (maybe) but surely ...

Hey David,

Great to hear that you're making forward progress mate. I know it seems way too hard sometimes, but I've found that doing something, anything, can make all the difference, even though I don't understand why.

Keep up the good work, and those rascally Rubicons will be popping out all over the place.

Cheers, Steve.

Quick Reply