This thread is privately moderated by Larrikin, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 02, 2015, 04:33 PM
Everything's A Compromise
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson View Post
Yes Steve. I took no special measures to make this four servo moulded plank heavy and it turned out to be 2 kg ready to fly (AUW).
Same wing span as the Rubicon. Wing loading around 70 - 72 g/sq.dm.

edit: this was arrived at by no special design and was arrived at more out of ignorance of layup weights and techniques etc.
It's a great front side flyer in big lift conditions at Borah. Never been DS'd. Only due to lack of sites etc.
That's a great looking model, Jim. I can't imagine building a 2kg Rubicon ... but I'll need to grow into that idea. While at Larrikin Ridge last Sunday, Kev said that he'd brought a 2.5kg Burner with him. 2.5kg!!!!

That'd be like building a 3kg Rubicon .... YIKES
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2015, 05:08 PM
Entropy is happening!
That's all understandable since we know you come from a thermal flying background.
I'm trying to make the mental adjustment in the other direction. I started off building heavy by default (and in ignorance) and I'm now learning to build light models.
May 04, 2015, 01:51 AM
Themadartist
It seems eerily quiet in the Larrikin's Lair.

You realise David, if we don't get an adequate supply of RCG news, we shrivel and die...

Do you really want that on your conscience???
May 04, 2015, 02:58 AM
608 km/h!
That's definitely enough talk of shrivelling anyway!
May 04, 2015, 04:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy97 View Post
It seems eerily quiet in the Larrikin's Lair.
Yeah, Steve. I spent the day on the shovel yesterday opening the drains around the shed. They'd silted up.
I spent the day on the lounge today recovering. The back and shoulders protested the drain clearing.
Still got the driveway to sort out.
Not a lot of modelling happening at the moment

D.
May 11, 2015, 05:53 AM
Thread OP
Rubicon #2 has been and gone.

Not before recording 182MPH with a few "no reads", though.

It was unanimously suggested that there was at least 1or 2 passes that were 200+ mph. So the proof-of-concept models are successful.
Tim offered some concrete advice during the setup flights and it was getting better with each tweak.
A "suck down" combined with lower rates resulted in me flying it into the darkside of the hill on the bottom turn.

With the Rubicon lost in the Lantana, the lost model alarm failed to initiate ... until I moved the fuselage ... only then did it start beeping ... sassum frassum siggum friggen stoopid thing.

Anyway, time to wax the moulds for #3.

D.
May 11, 2015, 07:35 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Awesome Dave! Sad to hear about the demise though
May 11, 2015, 05:11 PM
Themadartist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
Rubicon #2 has been and gone.
D.
May 11, 2015, 06:32 PM
Thread OP
Yeah ... it was bitter sweet. The sweet bit is it revealed its potential before the bitter bit.
It really started to feel good.
I think I was a bit lucky that it lasted as long as it did considering the amount of lead I added to the nose as the day progressed.
There's a plank adage replaying in my head that says, "a forward CG flies bad, a rearward CG flies once". Hence feeling a bit lucky.
I will certainly be more conservative with the initial CG of the next one, even though I set the 2nd model the same as the first. (Or did I only think I did)

The quest continues ... and that's ok

D.
May 11, 2015, 07:03 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
I got to see and fondle the Rubicon yesterday. What a gorgeous plank(even better than the photos show), with a real clean and skillful build. It got better with every flight and tweak. On the last flight Dave really had it going, making that whoomp-crack that only 200mph ds can produce. It was so cool to see and hear. With more wind, dialling in and tweaking, its exciting to think just how fast this ship will go. Congratulations!
May 11, 2015, 08:33 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Eric. Although, I feel I should refer to you as "Skerrick" now.
Your achievement is inspirational. I didn't recognize you until I could see details of your face. Well done on following your system.

Re Rubicon, each model will improve as the inevitable initial bugs are swatted.
I was ready to hand the tx around so the Big Dogs could wring it out ... next time.
Brent, you so need to fly mode 1

D.
May 12, 2015, 06:42 AM
less sleep more planes
Congrats Dave sounds like a nice set of moulds to have . My wind burners 2nd ds flight was still a bit too tail heavy kept pushing on anyway ,went in at 160 ish the wing is repairable (biiiig shark bite).Make the next one burner tuff.
May 12, 2015, 07:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayinInTheParK View Post
Congrats Dave sounds like a nice set of moulds to have .
Thanks Shane. Without Andrew, it would still be an idea.

Quote:
Make the next one burner tuff.
Kev has set the bar pretty high in that respect.
"Burner Tough" has become a marketing slogan.
You look at a Burner and you feel like slamming down a Solo
in your Yakka overalls.

I need to rethink my building techniques. I think that's the drive behind the project. It's a new experience. The building and the flying.

D.
May 18, 2015, 08:40 PM
Thread OP

Thanks Brent

You've probably already seen this video on the Speed thread but I thought I'd keep it here for easier reference.
The early footage displays the pitch instability and my inability to keep it in a groove. Then I started moving the CG forward and it
improved immensely.

Huge thanks to Brent for taking, editing and posting the video

(5 min 10 sec)
Last edited by Larrikin; May 18, 2015 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Forgot the link
May 18, 2015, 09:06 PM
Entropy is happening!
Yes Dave, it was starting to perform really well. Too bad that it went in hard. It seemed to happen without much warning? I think a heavier one would be even better still.
How do you like Cactus?
(It is Cactus isn't it?).

Jim.

Quick Reply