Mar 02, 2015, 08:18 AM
Looking better all the time. I am quite surprised that little motor did so well. I was planning on using a 28mm 2000 kv inrunner i had laying around, now i'm not so sure
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2015, 02:31 PM
Just to make sure I'm looking at it correctly. Plywood on the EDF flanges and plywood on the plane. Are you using something like servo screws to attach it? And the wood is basically separated by 2 layers of foam correct?
Mar 02, 2015, 06:03 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo42
Just to make sure I'm looking at it correctly. Plywood on the EDF flanges and plywood on the plane. Are you using something like servo screws to attach it? And the wood is basically separated by 2 layers of foam correct?
Thats exactly right ringo, but I guess you could use nuts and bolts either (or blind nuts and bolts) but the self tapping type screws held OK ... maybe a better medium would be 0.8 mm fiberglass sheet

LDF, I think any smallish motor would power this one, I was very surprised how fast it was on the little floater jet motor

Although these little motors power these little jets very well and are quite cheap to buy, it is a lot more challenging to design around them with the CG balance problems

Alternatively, the EDF is a lot easier to place most anywhere on the model making it a lot easier to balance ... downside is the extra weight

I am looking forward to doing the "Stealth" but am afraid this one will have to be EDF only (still using the swappable pod) but it wouldn't work as a pusher I am sure

A prop in slot wouldn't be feasible (without lots of mods) the motor would have to go in front of the slot ... I cocked up really with my drawings and when I had another look I realized there would be no easy way to get the wires from the ESC to battery up front (see post #53)

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 02, 2015 at 07:43 PM.
Mar 02, 2015, 07:47 PM
A question to all you experienced foam board builders ...

How do you get Velcro (to hold the battery) to stick to the foam board ??

With the paper on it simply pulls the paper (or some of it) off, take the paper off and it still pulls off ... nothing seems to stick well to the face of the foamboard ??? with or without paper ... I have even tried hot glue and it still comes off

Lockey
Mar 02, 2015, 08:18 PM
Lockey, with our power pods we cover the pod with reinforced packaging tape, works great and I never had an issue with this method, but sometimes the velcro doesnt stick to the packing tape so I just hot glue it down
Mar 03, 2015, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Dart Flyer
Lockey, with our power pods we cover the pod with reinforced packaging tape, works great and I never had an issue with this method, but sometimes the velcro doesnt stick to the packing tape so I just hot glue it down
Thanks LDF, are you leaving the paper on ?

Lockey
Mar 03, 2015, 08:26 AM
Lockey i do for the strength but on some models it won't be necessary
Mar 03, 2015, 08:53 AM
I made the thrust tube last night. Foam board with the paper off of the inside. I rolled it around a coup sizes of pipe and it rolled ok. But when I try to attach the seam tighter that section want to be flatter. Doesn't look nearly as good as yours.I'm going to see if I can find a 20 Oz styrofoam cup today and try it that Way. If not I'll just use the ugly tube.
Mar 03, 2015, 09:07 AM
Ringo, i have made really smooth tubes with your method except when i glue the ends i leave the pipe in and let it sit at the end of the workbench with the seam facing down and then i hang some weights on the end of the pipe to press the tube down until glue sets. This isnt as perfect as the foam cups but it's better than holding by hand. Try a test run with this method, you'll like it
Mar 03, 2015, 05:45 PM
Ringo, once you have rolled it around with the paper on the outside, remove that paper and it will roll easier

When you are rolling any type of foam ... Depron, MPF, or this foam board, you need to use a lot smaller round tube, pipe or dowel ... especially at the ends of the foam

I have lots of different sizes of these to bend and roll my projects ... I use plastic pipe, wooden dowel, metal tube, broom handle and almost anything I can find around the place thats round

But if you can find a 20 oz (650 gram) foam cup I am sure it will be a lot easier and neater ... wish I could find some here

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 03, 2015 at 05:59 PM.
Mar 04, 2015, 01:21 AM
Thought I might convert my Dingbat to a EZ-Jet to take the EDF pod ... any takers ?

Around 1200 mm (4 ft ) wing span ... smaller one in video is a tractor and is around 850 mm wing span

Lockey

DingBat second flight (7 min 23 sec)
Mar 04, 2015, 08:03 AM
Plans / patterns are now finished for the "Stealth" this will be my next foam board build

Wing span is 620 mm and 1100 mm long

Lockey
Mar 04, 2015, 08:41 AM
Found a pack of 20oz cups. The edf slides inside the cup about an inch or so. So I have 3 options
leave it inside an inch,
leave it inside and trim the from of the cup,
slit the cup and reattach to make the cup slightly smaller so the edf fits in the end.

What do you think? Guess another option is cut a strip of foam and glue inside the cup to thicken the mouth so the edf fits there.
Mar 04, 2015, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Thought I might convert my Dingbat to a EZ-Jet to take the EDF pod ... any takers ?

Around 1200 mm (4 ft ) wing span ... smaller one in video is a tractor and is around 850 mm wing span

Lockey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWJjYzlnYSw
Very cool, this swappable thing could work out to be great. Thanks for coming up with it.
Mar 04, 2015, 12:54 PM
Next question, where are you putting the ESC?