Dollar Tree Foam ... EZ-Jets - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 26, 2015, 06:03 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Would you guys rather I did a PDF (printable) instructions for these models or a build video ?

They will all be the same (or very similar) type of construction and all use the same power systems and equipment

The "EZ-Stealth" is almost ready to build

Need to find a better / easier way to fit / unfit the PUSHER power pod ... any ideas guys ?? ... the way I have done it works but probably not the best

Lockey

PS. By the way bandit ... how about fill in your profile so we can all see where you are in the world
Last edited by Lockey; Feb 26, 2015 at 06:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2015, 07:33 PM
Hi Tony I like to remove all paper on dtb ,paper will come of when wet. Paper is not on foam very tight, paper is heavy.
Feb 26, 2015, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leejohn
Hi Tony I like to remove all paper on dtb ,paper will come of when wet. Paper is not on foam very tight, paper is heavy.
Hey Leejohn, I found it was quite difficult to remove the paper, until I saw the video and I found that a spray with Methylated Spirits and it simply peels off clean

Water tends to make the paper go all mushy

By the way Leejohn .. how about fill in your profile so we can all see where you are in the world

I like to know where you guys are situated in the world

Lockey
Feb 26, 2015, 07:52 PM
The FS-2020 flies so well, I think I might also do this one as a EZ-Jet

Lockey

FS 2020 with added tail fins (2 min 9 sec)
Feb 26, 2015, 08:44 PM
skumgummi dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Pusher power pod, balances OK with 2200 / 3s battery on where I estimate C of G should be

Weight with 2200 / 3s battery is 660 grams ... EDF wieght with 2200 / 4s battery is 820 grams

I have also modified the plans ... shortened the EDF pod by 25 mm and changed the position on the wing, this should help with balancing with the EDF setup ... also added the Pusher power pod

I will post the modified plans later when I have converted to PDF files

Lockey
Wowser Tony, you must have read my mind. I really like this idea as I think it will make for a more lively flier. Kudos!

Dave-
Feb 26, 2015, 08:46 PM
I have modified the plans / patterns and posted on post #4 marked there as MK2

These have the shorter EDF power pod to enable the EDF to be moved further back to aid with balancing, I have changed the position of the pod on the wing and I have also added the pusher power pod on the plans too ... most everything else stays the same

I will be using this shorter EDF power pod on all future EZ-Jet models

Please let me know ... Would you guys rather I did a PDF (printable) instructions for these models or a build video ... AND, do you think I should put ALL the EZ-Jet models on this thread or make a new thread for each different model ?

Lockey

PS, you posted while I was posting Dave ... glad you like it mate and I am sure a few guys will like the cheaper option too
Last edited by Lockey; Feb 26, 2015 at 08:51 PM.
Feb 26, 2015, 09:00 PM
Love both those jets. I have been building with Dollar Tree foam board for about 3 years now and I would like to clear a few misconceptions about it. 1 sheet is about 100 grams. The paper is NOT glued on, it is bonded during the making process with heat. Getting it wet can make the paper wrinkle and peel, simple fix is use an hot iron to rebond. Removing all the paper is removing structural strength, which some people make up for that by using spars (are we adding weight we just took off?) DTFB can be painted with spray paint, especially the new krylon hot shots which is totally foam safe, as is floral spray paint. Using your covering iron to make your bevels and for rounding out straight edges is form and function, it gives the edge a finished look and help keep the paper from peeling. I have a few DTFB planes at least 3 years old and still flying great.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the info Lawn Dart Flyer, very much appreciated

We can't buy it real cheap like you guys can, but I found these people and bought 5 sheets at $14.50 a sheet but they are BIG ... 1525 x 1015 mm (60 inches x 40 inches) and they have some great tools too but not cheap http://www.foamboards.com.au/store/store_tools I have ordered a couple of the tools though

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Feb 26, 2015 at 10:49 PM.
Feb 27, 2015, 05:12 AM
Ready for the maiden with pusher prop, it will be interesting to see what (if any) difference the lighter weight will make .. It will no doubt be a longer flight time

2 minute job to change from EDF to pusher ... I LIKE IT

Gave her a coat of black on the top only underside still white

Lockey
Feb 27, 2015, 06:46 AM
That's fast work, a testament to good designing. I can't be quite sure but this might be the first prop to edf swapable
Feb 27, 2015, 07:10 AM
Lockey, may I have your permission to post this link on flite test forums?
Feb 27, 2015, 08:11 AM
Lockey, you can use isopropyl alcohol to easily remove the paper from the DTF foam board. It dries fast too. I had learned this trick online and had made a quick video using it. Both the 50% alcohol and the spray bottle were for a buck each at the Dollar Tree. Since the spray head fit on the rubbing alcohol I trimmed down the pickup tube and attached it to the bottle.

Removing the paper from Dollar Tree Foam. (0 min 44 sec)
Feb 27, 2015, 08:26 AM
Great work Lockey!!!
Feb 27, 2015, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Dart Flyer
Lockey, may I have your permission to post this link on flite test forums?
Go for it mate, post the link when you do, I would like to see the comments

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Feb 27, 2015 at 09:14 AM.
Feb 27, 2015, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert4613
Lockey, you can use isopropyl alcohol to easily remove the paper from the DTF foam board. It dries fast too. I had learned this trick online and had made a quick video using it. Both the 50% alcohol and the spray bottle were for a buck each at the Dollar Tree. Since the spray head fit on the rubbing alcohol I trimmed down the pickup tube and attached it to the bottle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0AqCxd4ty0
Isopropol is very expensive in Australia, over $8.00 for only 125 ml

Methylated Spirits on the other hand is very cheap at $3.30 for 1lt and it does exactly the same job ... spray it on the paper, leave a few seconds and peel off the paper

Quote:
Great work Lockey!!!
Thanks Scott, very much appreciated

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Feb 27, 2015 at 09:16 AM.