Feb 23, 2017, 11:30 AM
PhoenixFlyer
[QUOTE=andrewbrockman;32530148]I decided to line cabin interior with 1/32" balsa sheeting. I'll build a false floor and mount seats and controls to that. I think I'll use a micro server in nose for throttle and I'll put 2 servos in fuse just behind cabin with a hatch in the bottom. I have cabin sides built, but will mount when cabin is ready.
================================================== ================================================== ======

Andrew, that is what I did on this 1/5th Sig Cub. Hatch on bottom of fuse behind the rear, rudder servo, cabin, pull pull. Four allen heads, flush, no problem with rudder linkage. I also rear mounted the elevator L&R servos, two digital mini's for the halfs. Going slow here, Solartex from BUSA, Saito 90 TS from Galaxy. I need a little weight back there. Copied your metal struts, K&S.

Vince
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2017, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
[QUOTE=PhoenixFlyer;36949380]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbrockman
I decided to line cabin interior with 1/32" balsa sheeting. I'll build a false floor and mount seats and controls to that. I think I'll use a micro server in nose for throttle and I'll put 2 servos in fuse just behind cabin with a hatch in the bottom. I have cabin sides built, but will mount when cabin is ready.
================================================== ================================================== ======

Andrew, that is what I did on this 1/5th Sig Cub. Hatch on bottom of fuse behind the rear, rudder servo, cabin, pull pull. Four allen heads, flush, no problem with rudder linkage. I also rear mounted the elevator L&R servos, two digital mini's for the halfs. Going slow here, Solartex from BUSA, Saito 90 TS from Galaxy. I need a little weight back there. Copied your metal struts, K&S.

Vince

Sweet! Glad I could help on the struts, but honestly I plagiarized quite a few other builds and mixed it up into my own solution 😏

Still waiting on my order from Sig, then we can get moving again 🙃

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Apr 15, 2017, 07:39 PM

1/6th Sig Cub w/floats

I finally finished my Sig Cub complete with floats. I put an Eflite Power 32 on 3s or 4s battery pack. Covering is pre-painted Coverite. I made a pretty scale instrument panel (couldn't get a good photo though) and a dummy engine from plywood and balsa with a few thermo-formed parts. The floats are Great Planes 40 size from a kit. I built the floats as per the plans but subbed out some balsa for the supplied heavy plywood. Floats are glassed and covered with foil duct tape (Home Depot). Rivets were added with a brass tube. All of the under carriage and rudder mechanisms are custom made. I'll maiden on land first because that seems to be an intelligent thing to do!
Rick
Apr 16, 2017, 08:02 AM
ARFs Are Me
Your model looks great, Rick ! I especially like your dummy engine.

Well done !
Apr 17, 2017, 06:40 AM
Thanks Tom. You can buy an engine kit in 1/6th scale for about $50, but I somehow managed to cobble mine together in 2 days from scratch. Not a wise use of time or money, but that's what this hobby is all about!
Rick
Apr 23, 2017, 01:21 PM
Are they ever really "done"?
Andrew! I am so glad to see your progress on the cub. I keep "somedaying" my cub build. Someday I will get cranking on it! Your project is coming together nicely.
Josh
Feb 05, 2018, 10:10 AM
70 yrs of airplanes 66 of RC

SIG J-3 1/6th scale

Just enjoyed your thread. Gosh guys, you've got to get this done. These cubs stay with you for years. I'm 74 and my wife got me this kit in 1974. I built it at the kitchen table, pins in cardboard. Of course it wasn't built very well but it flew especially well after I found out what the rudder stick was for (LOL).

But through all those years, it's been a kit again numerous times. The crash picture required putting 4 new spars in the wings. Yeah, try sliding that out of the existing wing. I was flying at 11,000' MSL, a field in Silverthorne CO and had dead stick. Sage brush wasn't kind with an extended glide.

Now covered in fabric. Sorry, never got to the dummy engine stage. Just had fun flying it. The one photo of the inner plane struts, bad idea, when flying inverted, yes, that Torpedo .40 flys it great inverted, it pops the inter plane struts out of the holes and good luck Jack on flying it that way. I believe the plans show it poked up in the ply plate in the wing. Did I say bad idea! So now it has screw plates, 2-56 socket head screws to hold them tight.

One of my big time favorite planes. I still have a Hazel clipped in the box for maybe one day.

Now building a Nosen 1/4 cub, stits covering, 30cc RCG engine. Yes, another plane from the 80's. I'm looking for seat detail so I can get them built. I see the cover of the Sig 1/6th shows the seats but small small pictures.

Carry on... You've got lots of good fun in the plane. Work on one wheel landings, you'll need them in the smallest of crosswind.
Last edited by chuckstarck; Feb 05, 2018 at 10:30 AM.
Feb 05, 2018, 04:11 PM
Rick, Nothing is much prettier than a Cub on scale floats. Your "cobbled up" dummy engine looks lots better than mine but anything is better than a engine-less J-3. A nicely built and detailed scale Sig J-3 has as much "presence" as many other models. Modelers should not deny themselves a Cub, P-51 or Corsair, just because the have been modeled often.
Last edited by E-Challenged; Feb 05, 2018 at 04:17 PM.
Jan 22, 2019, 04:52 PM
commit an act of aviation
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbrockman
Yup, I got exited when I googled it and found many links to rotating the carb. Found out quickly the 40 cannot be rotated 🤔

I went with the micro server like this ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Did you ever get this completed? I had the same idea to build the Sig clipped wing 1/6th scale version and use the Saito 40a, try to keep it extremely light. Do you know what yours weighted in at when you were done?

Thanks, Happy landings!

Quick Reply