HorizonHobby UMX Beast with UMX Habu S receiver - RC Groups
Feb 21, 2015, 09:36 AM
Mini-HowTo

HorizonHobby UMX Beast with UMX Habu S receiver

I bought the UMX Beast thinking it was easier to fly. Had flown it always crashing and breaking. Recently I got in touch with Safe Technology through the fantastic Sport Cub S that led me to the UMX Habu S. That got me thinking what if? I first did some search on the groups to see if someone had done it but found only the thread for the big brothers which is very active on installing the Aprentice reciver in any other plane.
So I did it.
I got an spare HabuS receiver SPMA3165
I opened the Habu to see how it was conected and found two problems:
1) The receiver sits vertical.
Name: Habu S.jpg
Views: 198
Size: 1,017.5 KB
Description: Vertical receiver
2) It has not the two micro servos like the Beast receiver for elevator and rudder.
Name: receivers.jpg
Views: 140
Size: 161.8 KB
Description: Receivers and micro servos

To solve these problems I I made a holder for the receiver and a base for the the micro servos with the foam of the box. I Also glued an square of foam cut from a food recipient to the micro servos in order to glue them to the base. As I didn't want to mess with the links I placed the servos at the same distance as the originals.
Name: done.jpg
Views: 141
Size: 996.2 KB
Description: Everything fitted

I copied the model from the Habu S to a new model in my Orange T-Six transmitter and tested the changing of the flight modes beginner, intermediate and expert:
Safe modes (0 min 15 sec)

Testing the corrections in beginners mode
safe active (0 min 12 sec)

The weather was awful last weekend and today in spite of a very strong wind I maiden my new UMX Beast S without a scratch.
HorizonHobbyZone UMX Beast S Safe technology maiden (1 min 53 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2015, 08:02 AM
If you keep crashing the Beast I would say you need to work on your piloting skills and figure out what you do wrong. Dial down the dual rates if need be. But 'hiding' piloting errors with SAFE won't actually get you any further in mastering the aircraft, or when you want to move onto something else.
Feb 23, 2015, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenDrumstick
If you keep crashing the Beast I would say you need to work on your piloting skills and figure out what you do wrong. Dial down the dual rates if need be. But 'hiding' piloting errors with SAFE won't actually get you any further in mastering the aircraft, or when you want to move onto something else.
That's the beauty of the SAFE system: you can progress (work on your piloting skills) from beginner mode to intermediate mode to experienced mode without smashing your plane. An smashed plane can't be mastered.
It is a lot more fun and cheaper and less discouraging way of learning.
Last edited by Ariete; Feb 24, 2015 at 06:11 AM.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:04 AM
FPVpilots do it remotely
LOL Dang Ariete, how come you are always playing with the same ideas Im on.? I was thinking to do the same thing but with the Pitts and was thinking about what module best to canabalize.
Feb 27, 2015, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen
LOL Dang Ariete, how come you are always playing with the same ideas Im on.? I was thinking to do the same thing but with the Pitts and was thinking about what module best to canabalize.
Hi Bo, I think it is because we like to fly, not to be repairing things

In the Eflite SAFE RX in another plane thread there is a guy who has actually done it with the Pitts, it is easier with the Pitts because its receiver doesn't have any integrated micro servos.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2509

I like more the Pitts because its wings have aerodynamic form they aren't a flat board as in the Beast.
Mar 02, 2015, 04:17 PM

Having fun with the tamed beast

So fun knowing that I would not break my Beast even with that kind of wind.
A few moments I allowed myself to change to experiended but that's something that will require a calmer day.
Fun in the Wind
HorizonHobby UMX Beast S Safe technology fun (2 min 31 sec)
Mar 02, 2015, 07:28 PM
Untamed Beast ,No expo,Max rates and throw,Strong Gusty Winds in Small area
10 14 Low 6 sec hover in guesty winds (4 min 5 sec)
Mar 02, 2015, 10:40 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete
Hi Bo, I think it is because we like to fly, not to be repairing things
it is easier with the Pitts because its receiver doesn't have any integrated micro servos.
I like more the Pitts because its wings have aerodynamic form they aren't a flat board as in the Beast.
LOL yeah thats probably the thing, I hate building "stuff" love flying, if I had it my way I would fly all the time and never fix or build anything.

OK so on your incitement, I ordered the PITTs and the HABU receiver. figure I will get the PITTS and do surgery right away to get a PITTS S edition for flying. also sticking a FPV kit on it at the same time, trying to make up my mind to use a naked 808 16D with a small VTX, or just the stock HobbyKing FPV cam-vtx thing.

I find I fly the cub 90% in expert and maybe 10% in beginner.. I use beginner for take-off and for landings.. get low and aimed right, then flip to beginner and cut the throttle for landing :-) (beginner mode takes care of the rest)

Really excited about this FPVpitts SAFE edition.. hope it works as good as you say
Mar 03, 2015, 02:35 AM
FPVpilots do it remotely
PS: Ariete, whats the install angle. I guess whatever angle the original board, I realize the HABU board is vertical. but keep the same angle. guessing that will be critical for the correct glide slope?
Mar 03, 2015, 11:37 AM
I would need much, much practise for that or end up in a tree or down in bits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
Untamed Beast ,No expo,Max rates and throw,Strong Gusty Winds in Small area http://youtu.be/4IVoAfPDaNo
Mar 03, 2015, 11:53 AM
Quote:
LOL yeah thats probably the thing, I hate building "stuff" love flying, if I had it my way I would fly all the time and never fix or build anything.

OK so on your incitement, I ordered the PITTs and the HABU receiver. figure I will get the PITTS and do surgery right away to get a PITTS S edition for flying. also sticking a FPV kit on it at the same time, trying to make up my mind to use a naked 808 16D with a small VTX, or just the stock HobbyKing FPV cam-vtx thing.

I find I fly the cub 90% in expert and maybe 10% in beginner.. I use beginner for take-off and for landings.. get low and aimed right, then flip to beginner and cut the throttle for landing :-) (beginner mode takes care of the rest)

Really excited about this FPVpitts SAFE edition.. hope it works as good as you say
Quote:
PS: Ariete, whats the install angle. I guess whatever angle the original board, I realize the HABU board is vertical. but keep the same angle. guessing that will be critical for the correct glide slope?
Hi Bo, yes the board has to be vertical or else.
I put the receiver in the same angle to the fuselage as the original. In the habu it is almost level to the ground but not in the beast although that changes once you start running.

With the habu I am now flying most of the time in intermediate mode leaving beginners for take off and landings. This is a fast plane and turns take like for ever in beginners mode. But in expert mode things get out of control very, very fast.

You will need a very good antenna these little planes are very fast and will be very far in a blink. I will love to see your FPV Pitts S flying. Will you do 3D FPV? How will that feel?
Mar 03, 2015, 03:09 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Quote:
Hi Bo, yes the board has to be vertical or else.
I put the receiver in the same angle to the fuselage as the original. In the habu it is almost level to the ground but not in the beast although that changes once you start running.
I figure the control board magic here is based on glide-angle.. note getting that right could be disastrous. but it seems like a fairly simple mod. I just need to somehow mark the exact angle of the board.
The HABU would be virtually level. as it moves at warp-speed, the beast flies in a slight nose-up config, but glides in a slight nose down angle (probably) meaning the front of the board would be higher than the rear probably.

Quote:
You will need a very good antenna these little planes are very fast and will be very far in a blink. I will love to see your FPV Pitts S flying. Will you do 3D FPV? How will that feel?
Ha ha. Im hopeless with "dynamic" moves, and probably will never learn real 3D flying, but maybe some simple aerobatic moves possible. :-)

I have two options for video right now.. I did order a extra of the HorizonHobby microFPV things. that give me about 200m with the 3turn helical on my goggles. I don't really want to fly much further with the DX5e budget radio, so its probably a good idea to turn around when I start getting snow.

Also have a RMRC pico 1.3 kit in stock. so might use that.
and I have a naked 808 16D camera that might be able to work for recording.. if the PITTs can lug it without too much headache.. but am not worrying about the 808 until I am very comfortable flying it with the stock FPC cam.
Mar 03, 2015, 03:11 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
BTW> did a test of one of the flights from sunday afternoon. rendered it at 50% speed.. suddenly the aircraft start looking a lot more like a bigger aircraft ha ha. so I think the trick would be recording 60fps and render to 30fps to get nice looking aerobatic routines.
BTW quite a lot of wind here, Im flying with the throttle down along the ridge. :-) pretty bumpy though.

FPVcub scale render (4 min 3 sec)
Mar 03, 2015, 06:12 PM
Quote:
BTW> did a test of one of the flights from sunday afternoon. rendered it at 50% speed.. suddenly the aircraft start looking a lot more like a bigger aircraft ha ha. so I think the trick would be recording 60fps and render to 30fps to get nice looking aerobatic routines.
BTW quite a lot of wind here, Im flying with the throttle down along the ridge. :-) pretty bumpy though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb4xxf7kBz0
Nice
Mar 09, 2015, 04:29 PM

Rudder travel limits considerations

Something to note, after more than ten flights I have realized that the range of movement of the rudder is too big, at least for the safe mode.
If you give rudder all the way to the left or to the right it will spiral down very quickly even in safe mode. You could crash if you wanted, not that I want.
I know, I know, then just don't.
I don't know if it can be fixed with travel adjust or if it is advisable to reduce the travel because you may need all the travel in the other modes.
I think it moves so much because it is adjusted for the Habu and in the Habu you get very little movement of the rudder even when the servo goes all the way.