Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 28, 2004, 01:43 AM
Boss248
Boss248

MY New Skybolt...what ya'll think..?

Heres my Skybolt I am designing for mild 3D...wingspan 30"...power GWS 350C-D and up....projected AUW with GWS 350 and 2s lipoly is 11 oz. Should test fly tomorrow...what do ya'll think...?

This is just a dry fit to see how it looks in real size...could easily be bigger or smaller but 30" seems like a good place to start.

Boss
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2004, 04:50 AM
Suspended Account
Nice , i like that! a personal favourite.
May 28, 2004, 09:49 AM
Cleared Hot!
Boss,

Lookin' REALLY good! Are you gonna make plans available for folks? I've wanted to do a Skybolt or Pitts Model 14 just like that, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

BTW, we do have downloadable/printable 3-views of three flavors of the Skybolt (and the Pitts Model 14, S1, and Knight Twisters) available at Steen Aero Lab's website - http://www.steenaero.com and if you really want more details, we have selected sheets from the plan set available for modelers.

Looking forward to a flight report... once it flies, update us and I'll add a link to the Steen scale model webpage.

I've got a FFF Bearcat underway... also for EPS-350C. Haven't made the jump to LiPo's yet though... still wondering if what the best NiMH option is, I know weight is a real killer on these kinds of planes.

-Mike (Webmaster, Steen Aero Lab)
May 28, 2004, 09:50 AM
Cleared Hot!
BTW, where does the smoke tank go?
May 28, 2004, 10:21 AM
Boss248
Boss248
Mike...I will be offering the plans free for download as soon as I get the flight testing done...I have some clean up to do on the plans but will wait for changes (if any) to be made. I used the 3-views from your web site as a mater of fact. Did a raster to vector and basically traced the vector in Auto Cad 2004 so it's to scale outlines which may not work so well for a flat foamy but we'll see. I just got through flying my foamy UB 30 from Tim Hart plans which is almost I identical as far as control surface sizes with the exception of the rudder so I know it will be a pretty good 3D plane but maybe a tad mild in yaw but the UB has to much rudder anyway IMHO and has a bunch of roll couple but so did my 1/4 scale Skybolt.
If the plane flys good the plans will be made available for download to anyone that wants them...I plan to make changes until I get it where I want it because this is a good looking plane that has a lot of potential and as far as I know this is the 1st Skybolt I have seen for us foamy nuts so I am looking forward to getting it perfect for us.

If you want to see the plans to the SB30 use the link below, click on thumbnail and enlarge...this may not work with Netscape.
http://www.boss248.rchomepage.com/ph...webpublish.htm
Boss
Last edited by Boss248; May 28, 2004 at 11:27 AM.
May 28, 2004, 12:01 PM
Cleared Hot!
Sounds good... I don't see why the scale outline shouldn't work out OK. Some of these planes have surfaces so large you wonder why they don't just pivot the entire tail and both wings. Flies well for 3D but looks kind of silly if you ask me.
May 28, 2004, 12:20 PM
Boss248
Boss248
Mike...I do agree about the turbo charged control surfaces (sometimes).. I think for the SB 30 they should be pretty good...I was hovering the UB 30 this morning before the wind got up and once it was locked into a hover very little control surface deflection was needed so I should be close. I am concerned about roll couple but it may not be a problem with the smaller rudder area.

Did you get a look at the plans at the link I posted...I am wondering if the link and drawing is good and visible..?

Boss
May 28, 2004, 02:24 PM
Cleared Hot!
Some of the lines disappeared on me while zooming in and out (on IE6) and there appears to be two upper wings with different sweep... weird...
May 28, 2004, 03:41 PM
Boss248
Boss248
Mike...I had 2 different top wings drawn up...forgot to get rid of the lighter colored one...sorry about that.

Boss
May 28, 2004, 04:54 PM
Cleared Hot!
hehe... thought it was something like that
May 29, 2004, 01:02 AM

I do like a good biplane!

This one really looks nice! and the Skybolt is not one modeled as often as some. Yet look at those lines!

A real beauty for sure. I will be watching and reading for follow ups.
Jun 03, 2004, 09:15 PM
Boss248
Boss248
Well I got the Skybolt 30 in the air today and it flew really well. I had the c/g to far forward but after getting it set right the SB 30 would hover better than my UB 30. With 2s 1320 TP's the AUW is 10.5 oz. and it feels really good in the air...nice and lite. The roll rate needs to be higher so I will increase the ailerons 1/2" or more...also the wing area seems a little low so an increase of 1 to 1.5" is in the works. The rudder is quite effective and I will not add to it on the next one. The elevator will be increased also but it's actually plenty like it is but I did feel the need for more on a few OMG pull outs. I got 3 flights on the SB 30 and it's smooth when you need it and wild when you want it to be so other than a few changes I am pleased. The pics below really don't do this little plane justice but it's all I had with me at the time but a video will be coming very soon and I will post it to my site if anyone is interested.
Specs:
Himaxx 2015/5400
GWS 350C-DX g/b
GWS 12/6 sf prop
HS 55's 3 ea.
2s 1320 Thunder Power
3s "" "" ""
8 Kan 650's

Boss
Jun 03, 2004, 09:32 PM
Boss248
Boss248
A few more
Jun 04, 2004, 10:07 AM
Cleared Hot!
This listing has been added to Steen Aero Lab's website:

Steen Aero Lab's Scale Models Page

Really looks awesome... we can't wait for video!
Jun 04, 2004, 12:17 PM
Boss248
Boss248
Thanks Mike...It did flew surprisingly well. A few changes and it's a keeper...it does really good harriers and hovers good enough to do tail touches...a fun airplane for sure. I sure thought it would have generated more interest than it has though...maybe people just don't like Skybolts...

Boss

Quick Reply