May 27, 2004, 08:47 PM
Thread OP

E-Flite Ultimate- from Horizon

I am getting this one when it comes out in June and it will be my first electric - I can't wait! I need some guidence on the best set up and where I should go to purchase it. It will obviously need lots of power for good 3D performance.

Give me your thoughts!
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2004, 08:52 PM
Giddy up!
I like the looks of that Ultimate kit and the price seems right with the power system but until it comes out if you want to try an awesome flying bipe design try the Sirocco. Make it out of blue foam or 6mm depron. Plans are free thanks to RCAV8R13. Find them here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=152

Here's a good thread with video on the Sirocco: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227415
May 27, 2004, 08:55 PM
Thread OP
I have my heart set on this one and want to convert it to brushless. That's where I need reccomendations.

That bipe looks nice too!
May 28, 2004, 12:47 AM
Im flying one of the new E-Flite Ultimates (and a Tribute too!) and I must say - its one of the BEST looking flat foamies around

Its a very snappy performer - excellent for rolling manuevers, hovering and torque rolls. Due to its short tail moment, it isnt the best for knife edge - its truly a hover machine capable of wicked spins and great rolling circles. It also harriers rock solid - no wing rock and VERY easy to manuever!

That said, Im using the stock gearbox (6.6:1 gearing) with a 12x6 prop and the new E-Flite Park 370 4100kv brushless motor. This motor includes the pinion and adapter plate for the gearbox, ready to bolt in! For only $47.99, its the best value youre gonna find for a brushless power system! Im using a Castle Creations Phoenix 10 ESC with no brake, and a 9v, soft cut off.

The power is unreal - about 23-25 ounces of thrust on a 10.5 ounce (less pack - about 12-14 ounces depending on the pack you use) airplane! Vertical is no issue with lots of reserve power in hover.

I use a few different packs - so far my favorite is the Thunder Power 3 cell 860 mAh pack. This will soon be updated with a new 12C 900-930 mAh pack which I think will be even better (more power at about the same size and weight as the 860!). Flight time is a solid 10 minutes with typical 3D style flying and throttle management.

The most powerful pack of all is the new Thunder Power 12C capable 3S 1320. Vertical is even better, and the higher weight makes the airplane easier to handle in wind. Flight times are 15-17 minutes typical - LOTS of aggressive flying. Might be more for more moderate pilots!

For indoor flying, I'll be using the new 12C Thunder Power 730s. Even lighter than the 860s (about 1.5 ounces for a 3 cell pack) with more than enough power.

The airplane is easy to build and an excellent value. Its a blast to fly and quite durable too! Plus with the little wheel pants and the attractive trim scheme its a real crowd pleaser. Everyone at the field wants one not only because it flies great, but because it looks cool too!

Jason @ TP
May 28, 2004, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the information Jason, I have been looking at getting either one or maybe both for some time now. I am glad to know that they fly well. Got to love 3D ships, and with new designs coming out all the time its hard to choose. Sounds like both are all out 3D which we like to here. I can't wait till June.
May 28, 2004, 05:21 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Jason. I am looking at the E-Flite Park 370 4100kv too and wondered how it performs. Maybe I'll go that route. Can't wait for the rolling harriers!
Jun 05, 2004, 09:15 AM
Thread OP
I just bought the E-Flite Park 370 5400kv for the Ultimate. Now, if the damn plane will just get here!!!!11
Jun 05, 2004, 02:32 PM
With the 5400 motor, be sure to run a smaller prop - something like 10x8 or 10x4.7 with the "D" gearing (stock 6.6:1 ratio). This will be sure to keep the amps in check, so you dont toast anything.

Off to fly my Ultimate in a few minutes
Jun 06, 2004, 09:08 AM
Thread OP
Why a smaller prop? We called E-flite's tech dept and they reccomended a 12x6 and a 25 amp speed control.
Jun 06, 2004, 09:31 PM
Jason, do you have any amp draw or rpm numbers with your 4100kv setup? How hot does the motor get after an agressive flight?

Given the specs in the instructions, Motocalc predicts more than 13amps with that setup. The same instructions also suggest a maximum of 6 amps.

Interesting that E-Flite tech support would recommend a 25amp controller for the 5300kv motor... which is only rated at 8 amps max. Motocalc predicts >28amps with a 3S pack and >16amps with a 2S pack, running a 12x6 on a 6.6:1 GB.

I bought a 370-4100kv for the Ulitmate, whenever it finally arrives. Also picked up a 400-4200kv for either a Alfa Mig-15 EDF or as a replacement for the MiniAC 1215/16 in my Alfa Corsair. I hope to get them on the bench this week... if my ordered CC25 would ever get here. Pics of both motors here:

http://astro.umsystem.edu/andy/rc/misc/motors/park/

Andy Steere
http://astro.umsystem.edu/andy/rc/
Jun 07, 2004, 12:21 AM
this is rediculous!
I can't stand it anymore! everyday I wake up and there is a cheaper/smaller brushless motor availabe...and most times they seem to be an even better deal than before....this really bites....i don't know how much longer i can stand this hobby!
Jun 12, 2004, 03:43 AM
Heard from my LHS that the Ultimate and Tribute are supposed to ship next week (the week of 06/14/2004). Yahoo!
Jun 12, 2004, 04:10 PM
AMA Member
I just heard (from my local hobby shop) that the delivery date has been pushed back at least a month, maybe two. Bummer...I've been patiently waiting for one of these ultimates too. Probably gonna have to build one.

There's a pretty sweet ultimate on foamyfactory.com, free plans. There's video there too if you want to see it in action.
Jun 12, 2004, 08:11 PM
I was told by Horizon that the Tribute will be mid June and the Ultimate towards the end of July! I have been told something different each (3) time I call. I was also told that there may not be enough of them to go to all the LHS. To make sure I get one, I need to order directly with them!

I have an Ultimate on the way from someone else!

-Mo
Nov 09, 2004, 03:17 PM

I just started to build mine!

I just got my Eflite Tribute Yesterday, here are some first look pictures of the kit I just started to do the basic build have to get some foam-safe-CA glue and some other stuff so I can build it but so far here is what I have done.

Quick Reply