Feb 19, 2015, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

SYMA X8C & X8G (Under construction)

INTRODUCTION

Recently and surprisingly, SYMA very well known to produce toy-grade helicopters and quadcopters announced a 350mm quadcopter, i.e. the SYMA X8C. With this model, SYMA directly cloned both the design and the category size of the DJI phantom but also replaced the brushless motorization for a brushed system and remove all advanced features. The X8C audience is targetting beginners who want a cheap but stable video plateform able to carry a GoPro camera or an ultra light gimbal for mobius for example. The X8C I received was shipped with a 2mpx camera.

From late august, the X8G including a 8Mpx GoPro clone camera is also available. Since, they are sharing the same quadcopter, I will focus in a second part only on the camera module.

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x SYMA X8C (with a 103.3g 2000mAh 2S LiPo, 25C T dean connector)
+ 1 x Controler (using 4xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x Charger
+ 4 x Spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)
+ 4 x Props guard
+ 1 x Camera
+ 1 x 4Gb microSD card
+ 1 x USB microSD reader
+ 1 x Instruction manual (English)

OVERVIEW

From an external point of view, immediatly you are impressed by the high quality of this mate shell's plastic. This material seems very durable to absorbe main shocks/crashes

Bottom view

Each foot of the landing gear must be screwed by two screws

The entiere skid seems relatively robust in case of hard landing.

A switch is located on the bottom side as well as a 2.5" jack input to plug the camera module

On the bottom side of each arms, a large transparant plastic is protecting LEDs

Rear view

The X8C weight standalone without LiPo, camera and prop guard starts from 448g so already a signifiant weight

With the battery installed, the weight reaches 552g

579g with the camera module

and the total weight with prop guard is 601g

Battery

A large 2S 2000mAh is provided announced to be 25C and weights a little bit more than 100g

Dimensions are 82mmx33mmx19mm

The battery bay is completly occupied by the 2000mAh battery

Motor pods

Propeller and prop guard

Prop guard

Motors

Clearly, the X8C used large brushed motors (close twice larger than the V262/V333/V666 motors for example).

It's very easy to access to motor, just 6 screws to remove. Motor maintance don't require to disassemble everything. That's a good point

Concerning durability of such motors, no real feedback yet but for brushed motors, I advice to fly cool the first 2-3 flights few minutes
at least to "break-in" motors. I didn't notice motors becames extremely hot after usage... so maybe a good sign for their durability.
Some small airflow inputs are cooling the motor part.

Camera module of the X8C

The bulb camera have mini-jack plug

In fact, the real currect camera in encapasulated into this bulb casing

The camera lens have a narrow FOV (around 60 degrees imho).

Luckely, you can install a wider model: the 808#16 lens D is suitable and offers 120 degrees of FOV. Whatever, the light sensitivity is not fantastic and light contrasts are poorly rendered in general.

Lipo charger

The charger provided is definitively very slow to charge the 2000mAh mode (more that 4h).

Definitively, prefer a real charger to be safer

Transmitter

The transmitter have still a toyshy aspect but is quite large and can be well grabbed with hands

The top shoulder button cycles between beginner and expert modes while the right shoulder button engages manual flips. If you press more than 2 seconds on the shoulder button, you can engage/disengage the headless mode. The headless mode is a "homelock" version. The heading is fixed when the quadcopter is turned on and whatever when you are engaging the headless mode, the reference will be same. IMHO, it's very usefull for long distance flight, because the headless mode can be used as a "panic mode" when you lost the quad orientation. The vertical throttle trim, when pushed down is turning on/off camera while pushed up is taking pictures. The gyroscope calibration procedure consists in pushing both sticks in lower right position.

Two antennas can be found installed on the RFchip (based on the nRF24L01 module) in order to increase the range sensibility. More the X8C is using the new SYMA protocol working with a datarate fixed at 250kbits (versus 1Mbits for the former protocol version). In practice by decreasing the datarate, you have a +[8-9] dBm of gain in the RX sensibility according to the nRF24L01+ documentation. Definitively, the 200m of range and more can easily targetted.

FIRST USAGE

SYMA X8C outdoors test (Courtesy Banggood) (15 min 20 sec)

As you can see in this video, the X8C offers at least 12 solid minutes of flying duration that's definitively a really good point for such cheap model. After usage, motors were hot but not burning. The X8C offers very stable flights ideal for carrying an HD camera and seems to be wind resistant thanks to its 600g and large props. With a ground clearance close to 10cm, a mini 2D-gimbal setup for möbius could be installed.

X8C CONCLUSIONS

This SYMA X8C is an interesting flying object at the frontier between a toy and a real quadcopter. It offers pretty descent flying duration (> 12min) as well as the capacity to carry an HD camera and probably a very tiny 2D mobius gimbal. The SYMA X8C is very stable and strong resistant, have a relatively good range control and can be flew by a compatible DeviationTX radio. Of course, no modern features such as GPS hold on function or RTH so everything must be done manually. In another hand this product costs 3 times cheaper than a real 350mm model. My main concern is about the 2mpx camera module, not very efficient.

UNBOXING AND QUICK TESTING SYMA X8C

SYMA X8C Unboxing and very quick testing (Courtesy Banggood) (20 min 59 sec)

PROS

+ Ultra stable quadcopter
+ Close to 12min of flying duration
+ High quality manufacturing
+ Durable shell
+ Wind resistant
+ Easy motor mantenance
+ Good range control (> 200m)
+ LVC alarm (LEDs blinking)
+ Orientable camera's lens
+ DeviationTX compatible (New "SymaX"protocol)
+ Headless "Homelock"
+ Durable brushed motor

CONS

- Poor camera performances (narrow FOV, poor light sensitivity)
- Slow yaw rate
- No ballbearings, shafts can stranded
- 600g
- Brushed motors vs brushless motors
- Long recharge time with provided charger

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find the SYMA X8C at
http://www.banggood.com/Syma-X8C-Venture-with-2MP-5MP-Wide-Angle-Camera-2_4G-4CH-RC-Quadcopter-p-965758.html

and the X8G at: http://www.banggood.com/Syma-X8G-2_4G-4CH-With-8MP-HD-Camera-Headless-Mode-RC-Quadcopter-p-985603.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Sep 20, 2015 at 03:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2015, 05:07 PM
Thread OP
X8G

The same electronic can be found, the Beken 2423 for the new syma protocol with a datarate of 256Kbit/s. This lower daterate can explain the extra-range gain versus the former one working at 1Mbits/s

Camera module of the X8G

The X8G camera module have the same shape and size than a GoPro (clone). This camera offer two video modes: i) 1024p@30fps and ii) 720p@60fps. Any microSD class 4 is enought to feed it. No button to edit any settings...

Standalone, the camera weights only 31.5g because the module is directly powered from the quad with a +5V source

The transparent camera housing weights 28g

I found some potential latteral vibrations can be transmitted with this system introduction IMHO some little jello effect

62g in total ...

For the payload capacity of the X8, 62g is pretty light.

A unique microUSB plug can be found on top

4 screws must be removed to access to the main electronic

The central button permits to trigger manually some photos (brief pressing) or to turn on/off video recording by long press it

On the microUSB plug, only 3 pins are used

Here is the pinout I found

I was able to power it with an external +5V.

Unfortunatly, no AVout available so this camera can't be used as FPV camera

FIRST USAGE

SYMA X8G camera test installed on a X8C (Courtesy Banggood) (8 min 22 sec)

X8G CONCLUSIONS

As the X8C, X8W, the SYMA X8G is a great hyper stable quadcopter and Wind resistand. It offers also pretty descent flying duration (> 10min) with HD camera . The SYMA X8G range control for me remains the same and now is compatible DeviationTX radio. Be aware to check the shaft connexion with the motor mount. With the absence of Ball-Bearings, this part must be regulary inspected and greased. If not, your motor gear can be completly stranded.
The camera module have correct performances for an action cam, far superiour to any toyquadcopter's cameras in the market but colors are not very respected. Unfortunatly a small amount of Jello is present out of the box in videos. After a prop balancing, and some foam insertion, you can pretend to remove 99% of them. The real question with the G version : Is better to buy directly the G version or to take a C version with an extra Xiaomi cam and a DIY camera mount. If you don't want to mod anything, want absoluptly to trigger via the remote photos/videos, the X8G is an excellent choice. The camera performance is more than respectable but it's far behind a Xiaomi cam/Go pro cam to be honest. It would have been fantastic if AVout be available for FPV... It's not the case (or maybe a hack can be possible).

UNBOXING

SYMA X8G unboxing and quick analysis (Courtesy Banggood) (19 min 33 sec)

PROS

+ Ultra stable quadcopter
+ Close to 10min of flying duration
+ High quality manufacturing
+ Precize camera module
+ Durable brushed motors
+ Durable shell
+ Wind resistant
+ Easy motor mantenance
+ Good range control (> 200m)
+ LVC alarm (LEDs blinking)
+ DeviationTX compatible (New "SymaX"protocol)
+ Headless "Homelock"

CONS

- Slow yaw rate
- 600g
- No ballbearings, shafts can stranded
- Brushed motors vs brushless
- Long recharge time with provided charger
- No Camera settings (brightness a little bit too strong
- No AVout

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

and the X8G at: http://www.banggood.com/Syma-X8G-2_4G-4CH-With-8MP-HD-Camera-Headless-Mode-RC-Quadcopter-p-985603.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Sep 26, 2015 at 11:08 AM.
Feb 20, 2015, 12:51 AM
Seby, do you think that this is better quad than the H8C JJRC.......
Feb 20, 2015, 05:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamycah4
Seby, do you think that this is better quad than the H8C JJRC.......
In most of the point yes
Mar 02, 2015, 01:02 PM
SeByDocKy, thanks for the informative review! Not sure if you can answer this, but do you think I could get better performance at a similar price point (say for $150) by building from a kit? I want to get a Mobius in the air and I don't think my current little X5C is quite up for it. This X8C looks like a capable quad, but I'd prefer more performance and durability if I can get it (eg brushless motors). I have a Deviated 7e already, so I'm on the fence about whether to plunk down for this vs build from parts or a kit.

Very grateful for any thoughts you may have. Thanks for your work!
Mar 03, 2015, 08:12 AM
Hi SeByDocKy, Can you please explain the difference between X5C and X8C.

Another question, as I see in some posts it's possible to add a Mobius camera to X5C, what do you think is better to carry the Mobius?

Thanks a lot for your reviews, are really useful for beginers like me
Mar 03, 2015, 09:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by castrojj
Hi SeByDocKy, Can you please explain the difference between X5C and X8C.

Another question, as I see in some posts it's possible to add a Mobius camera to X5C, what do you think is better to carry the Mobius?

Thanks a lot for your reviews, are really useful for beginers like me
The difference between the X8C and the X5C is huge. The first one have a great flight duration, a good payload capaticity, good range and Wind resistant while the X5C is weak for all these mentioned point. Only the 2mpx camera is similar for both models
Mar 03, 2015, 09:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneBee
SeByDocKy, thanks for the informative review! Not sure if you can answer this, but do you think I could get better performance at a similar price point (say for $150) by building from a kit? I want to get a Mobius in the air and I don't think my current little X5C is quite up for it. This X8C looks like a capable quad, but I'd prefer more performance and durability if I can get it (eg brushless motors). I have a Deviated 7e already, so I'm on the fence about whether to plunk down for this vs build from parts or a kit.

Very grateful for any thoughts you may have. Thanks for your work!
If you want to practice FPV racing go for a 250mm DIY frame... A cheap ZMR250 or a Diatone #37 are inot bad choices for example.... It should be possible possible to have something around 150 USD.
If you want to produce more aerial videos, go for a 350mm and above... but be aware, it can be dangerous. These machines are no more toys
Mar 04, 2015, 09:33 PM
It looks like it is available now! Great!
Last edited by alalufra; Mar 04, 2015 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Item became available
Mar 05, 2015, 12:31 AM
Enigma
yep, got an e-mail from banggood, its available now

Quote:
We have great news, your preorder of SKU203277 has arrived and is in stock! We can't guarantee stock will last for long so recommend you get in now before they are gone!
Click here to buy syma X8C for just $97.99

Aaron, any coupon discounts for x8c for rcgroups?
Mar 05, 2015, 01:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by artlovesart
yep, got an e-mail from banggood, its available now

Click here to buy syma X8C for just $97.99

Aaron, any coupon discounts for x8c for rcgroups?

Yes available now ...

http://www.banggood.com/Syma-X8C-Venture-with-2MP-5MP-Wide-Angle-Camera-2_4G-4CH-RC-Quadcopter-p-965758.html

Well according the size of the box & weight..., it will be hard to be really below 100 bucks for this model IMHO
Mar 09, 2015, 03:00 AM
Hi Seby. Perfect rewiew as always. I want to compare this with v262, v666 etc. Are motors and board the same size? I would use these on v262 frame to save weight
Mar 09, 2015, 03:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by asanovrus
Hi Seby. Perfect rewiew as always. I want to compare this with v262, v666 etc. Are motors and board the same size? I would use these on v262 frame to save weight
Motors no ... there are much more larger for this X8C. For the board, seems to be the same size.
Mar 11, 2015, 03:00 AM
Hey Seby!

Thank you so much for the detailed review! I am going to buy this quad.

Initially, I was looking to buy the JJRC H8C, but that had motor issues. So I was sceptical. Then I thought of buying the Syma X5C, however I was not impressed by its performance and somehow couldn't convince myself to buy that.
And then I thought I'll spend a little bit more and buy the Syma X5SC, this one has (iPhone compatible) FPV too. But again I was quite confused. There are no videos/reviews of this quad currently online.
Your review of the X8C really helped me to decide on what to buy. I have now almost decided that I'll be buying the X8C. I have now stretched and doubled the price that I was ready to spend to buy a quad. Hopefully it'll be worth it.

The Syma X5SC is apparently FPV compatible and as I know X8C is not. That'd have been a good feature to have for this quad. However as I can see in your videos, the X8C seems to have better flight time, its bigger and probably more stable than the X5SC and can carry better payloads.
While I am impressed by the X8C, I am not sure if its worth the extra price when compared to the X5SC which is available for $66.
The current price of X8C is $111. When the X8C is compared to the X5SC do you think that this is worth the extra price?
What do you say?

Thank you again for the review!
Last edited by prashb; Mar 11, 2015 at 03:34 AM.

Quick Reply