Jan 19, 2019, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David2011
Two days ago I learned that Tom Clark has had a stroke. He has mostly recovered but the part of his brain needed for typing was where the stroke hit. He's driving, golfing, stargazing, flying his models and enjoying life; he just can't type.

Thanks for the update and best wishes to Tom for a continuing recovery.

Michael in Ontario, Canada
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2019, 03:27 PM
Tom
Best wishes for Tom in his recovery. I understand. A few years ago I had a couple strokes. I could not talk or type. The keyboard looked like hieroglyphs and I was told you couldn't spell "cat", K-r-l-z which made sense to me at the time. It comes back slowly.
Looking forward to Tom's return.

Tom
Jan 19, 2019, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the update on Tom. I often wondered what happened to him. Even searched the net to see if I could find any info. Glad to hear he is mobile and active but still recovering. Wish him well.

I build similar to Tom, but he is the master builder. Here is my KAOS in the bones.
Last edited by ETpilot; Jan 20, 2019 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
Jan 19, 2019, 07:01 PM
Tom
Nice ETpilot. I JUST started one myself. Glued my first piece not 5 minutes ago. Keep at it.

Tom
Jan 20, 2019, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy
Nice ETpilot. I JUST started one myself. Glued my first piece not 5 minutes ago. Keep at it.

Tom
Good luck with your build. As Tom says it is not as hard as it looks. I learned a lot from his build threads.
Jan 21, 2019, 05:03 PM
Entropy is happening!

Size for a 25 cc gas engine?

I hope to build of a version of this model after the next one I am about to start!................. (that is, two models ahead).

I am wondering what size to scale it up to for an engine this size?
Maybe around 2 mtr, as per Tom's build?
Suggestions welcome.

Jim.
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Feb 07, 2019 at 04:46 PM.
Jan 22, 2019, 09:58 AM
Where are you guys getting plans for a larger bird? Having them enlarged at a local copy shop?

Bill S.
Jan 22, 2019, 09:45 PM
Iím a pencil and paper builder.
Jan 23, 2019, 05:54 PM
Tom
Kaos 90 plans here.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5216

Foam wing cores available here if you choose to go foam. Or scale up a 60 kit for built up.

http://eurekaaircraft.com/plan_kits/kaos.htm

Tom
Jan 24, 2019, 08:45 AM
Tom,
Thanks for the links, VERY helpful!!

Not a fan of large glow engines so would go gas but is a DLE20 enough for this?

Thanks,
Bill
Mar 14, 2019, 02:16 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Thinking about a Kaos 90 to house a Saito FA-130T (twin glow), there's already a model kind of underway for that engine but I'm making next to no progress on it so I'm reluctant to say I'm actually taking on a project. Anyway the 2M Kaos is interesting as I also have a new FA_182T that would likely be a good match for it, espcially if I convert to spark (on methanol). Great idea scaling a Kaos to 2M, I'd be very interested to see how it holds up against modern designs in the hands of a good pilot.
My problem is more engines than models to put them in and a procrastination issue when it comes to building. I *really* need to use this YS-FZ91, which to me seems a tad big for a Kaos 60 and a tad small for a K90... someone suggested a Boxer 60 or 90, still looking at that.
PS A 20cc DLE is basically a gas 1.20 2-stroke, which would be equivalent to a slightly smaller engine in glow 2-stroke, at a guess about a 1.0, give or take a bit. Haven't flown them myself but I would think a 2M pattern ship might be a little big for an engine like that. Sounds like a better engine for a Kaos 90 to me. The 2M's use stuff like the YS 1.40 4-strokes and beyond, that engine's probably equivalent to about a 1.20 or larger 2 stroke glow. I don't use DLE but I would think your 20cc would fly it OK but not competitively against the kind of powerplants in 2M planes now.
Last edited by BernardW; Mar 14, 2019 at 02:31 PM.
Mar 17, 2019, 12:35 PM
Play that funky music right
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardW
I *really* need to use this YS-FZ91,

That YS 91 has about the same power as a 120 four stroke if that helps you make a decision. It swings a 15 X 8 well Or a 16 X 6

Ken
Mar 17, 2019, 01:38 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497
That YS 91 has about the same power as a 120 four stroke if that helps you make a decision. It swings a 15 X 8 well Or a 16 X 6
That much, a 120 4c? Wonderful! I would have thought less but I'm interested to hear from someone with experience. It's still NIB, never run, and I was glad to get it. It'd been on a shelf at an LHS for 10 years or more and finally it came into my price range and I snapped it up. Several people who have had them have told me they're a great engine. I would have assumed they were more like a 1.05 or 1.10 4c but if it's equivalent to a 1.20 that opens up some opportunities. That Kaos 90 sounds like it might be a good option for it too, as the 130TD is getting a custom Ugly Stik built for it. As I was kind of tossing up between that and the Kaos 90, it's good to know the K90 could be a good home for the YS, as I'd then have the option later of trying either engine in either airframe later. It's an appealing choice for a project, simple to build and a reputation as a nice flyer. I'd like to tweak mine a little, maybe a built-up tailplane with a symmetrical section, and later I plan to start cutting foam cores so a 2nd wing and/or stab.on foam would be the very thing to get me started on that path.

How does the Saito FA-182TD grab you for a 2M Kaos? I know it's not considered competitive against a YS FZ-140 but I have heard of them being used in 2M-class pattern planes, rarely. That might not be in competition though. That's OK, I'm not ready to compete, and I have that nice engine to find a home for (I have more engines than models now, all sweet 4c's, a good problem to have ) It ought to have good power for it, if I'm gauging it correctly. I'm interested in a CDI conversion for it, not to gas just methanol on spark. Some of the Saito group guys are having success with that and tell me with zero nitro they see 10% or better power (up to about 20%, maybe even more, but varies by engine model so a safer quote is usually about 10%) and it also saves fuel consumption, something like 10 to 30% better. That together with not needing nitro would save a worthwhile amount on fuel, a glow engine of that capacity would cost a bit per flight to run, even with the fuel economy of 4-strokes.
Jan 21, 2021, 04:44 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomclark
I'll take some photos when making the gear. Just bent out of 2" wide 6061 aluminum band sawn to shape. Don't use softer stuff - it will bend.
.................................................. .
Tom,

What thickness is the aluminium flat bar?
Jan 22, 2021, 09:34 AM
I used 1/8Ē stock for the landing gear. After making them using a vice, wood form and a hammer, I made a bending brake for the job. Much easier. I still havenít flown this airplane. Hope to fly it one day in the future.

Quick Reply