Electric Jet Design Contest - 2002

Electric Jet Design Contest - 2002

Author: Andy Willetts
The Jets Forum (formally known as EDF) is holding a model design contest. new
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2002, 09:41 AM
Purple power
quote:
"The contest is limited to readers who have neither had a model in production, nor circulation through plans or through kits".

When was this decided? and why? .......................gregg

Jan 10, 2002, 09:58 AM
Registered Lifeform
Yeah, this needs to be clarified.

I had a big article and plans feature published by Model Airplane News, and they sold lots of plans from it. But that was in 1990, and I haven't published anything since.

Does this rule me out as a competitor? It's not a big deal, because my building plans won't change whether or not I'm competing.

I've got to say though...if this is strictly enforced, it will probably eliminate most of the experienced, competent builder/designers from the contest.

Paul
Jan 10, 2002, 10:32 AM
FoamyFactory.com
I was under the impression that when we hashed all of this out last month that we would be able to submit 2 designs. At least that was in the last set of "proposed rules" posted by Dave Lilley. The whole idea behind this was the promotion-development of "more" MF480 jets. 2 is more than 1. I was also under the impression that all (or most) of the prize contributers (thank you!!!!!!) understood this and were OK with it. Just my 2 cents...

Tim H.
Jan 10, 2002, 11:12 AM
Well, this is ME Bowing out And signing off...

Why bother going through the process of figuring out some contest parameters when the BOSSES come along and regurgitate the Foamie contest with a new Title.

I think that you guys just cut out most of the people interested and capable enough to do something with this contest. IMHO

I know the RULES have now been posted , so have fun

there goes..KEVIN and Daren And Paul and.... out the door!

Maybe there needs to be few clarifications and explanations.
Last edited by gbruce; Jan 10, 2002 at 11:55 AM.
Jan 10, 2002, 12:05 PM
Electriaddict
I hope this can be Ironed out it would be a shame to eliminate all that talent, previously published or not everyone has a fair shot at expressing their creativity and ingenuity
Jan 10, 2002, 01:05 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
I hope this doesn't slow things down too much. Looks like we'll all just do our own thing. That's fine, but now I wish I had spent the time making a molded fuse!

Steve C
Jan 10, 2002, 01:23 PM
It wasn't me...
Quote:
Originally posted by gregg f
quote:
"The contest is limited to readers who have neither had a model in production, nor circulation through plans or through kits".
All:

I saw this last night and before we all get bent out of shape, I think this is an editorial error.

The meaning would be completely different if it read:

"The contest is limited to readers who have neither had the model in production, nor circulation through plans or through kits".

Big difference, eh? If this is the case, it's designed to eliminate models like the Offshore designs, Kevin Cox's F/A-18 and Daren and my B-57.

Dave:

Can you clarify the rules for us?

Thanks,

Dan
Jan 10, 2002, 01:35 PM
Purple power
Dan: i hope that's the case. it didn't make sense to me...........gregg
Jan 10, 2002, 01:46 PM

Grass roots contest

Hey guys, this was more or less a grass roots gentlmans contest yes no ? Thought of and organized by the EDF fourm. So If you dont like the rules of the "offical" contest, so what, just keep going and remember what the goal of the idea was, not to win a motor, or have you name in lights, but to give someting back to the EDF crowd just getting into the sport that dont have the skills to make there own stuff, some good short kits or plans to take advantage of the gear we have sitting around. Not to "even the playing field" but to put more players on it.
I dont know, I just cant see you guys saying, "screw you guys, Im going home" Eric Cartman .
I mean, just stick to the origanal ideas we had and I think the end result will be the same, people will want to build what you have designed and hey, maybe it will even get kitted.
The approval and admiration of your peers, thats what its about, braging rights, a challenge, forget the grammar and non CAPS text files if you want, enter a non voting entry if you have to and let the rest of us scrap it out for the "official" deal.

Disclaimer: I JasonJ mean no disrecpect to the E-zone www.ezonemag.com or am ungreatfull for the efforts put into the site, its forums, or the EDF contest in genral buy above voiced opinions but wish only not to limit the submission of great ideas for cool jets.

Rebel radio JasonJ out!
Jan 10, 2002, 01:56 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Well, that lets me out as well.

Could this rule be reconsidered? I like Dan Savage's interpretation/ slight re-wording.

Please note that folks are more interested in entering for fun than anything else. Don't add a rule that was never part of the intent of the contest.
Latest blog entry: My 2022 event schedule.
Jan 10, 2002, 03:00 PM
Thread OP
Guys,

First off, I would like to say that I am only taking part in this discussion, as I turned the contest management over Andy W. The foamie contest took up a lot more time than I expected, and I just do not have the time to manage another large contest, which is one reason why this announcement has been so late in coming. Andy is the assistant E-Zone editor and the person in charge of this contest, and I will back up any discussion that he makes in this matter.

Some changes were made to make it easier the contest easier to manage. That said, please do not throw up your arms and give up on us. We are watching and listening, and I hope that our record shows that we have been responsive to the concerns of our readers and members.

From what I see, the main point of contention is the rule, “The contest is limited to readers who have neither had a model in production, nor circulation through plans or through kits.” Let’s have a civil discussion and talk this out.

Thanks,
Dave Lilley
Jan 10, 2002, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dave_lilley
From what I see, the main point of contention is the rule, “The contest is limited to readers who have neither had a model in production, nor circulation through plans or through kits.” Let’s have a civil discussion and talk this out.
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the clarification. I'm all in favor of a civil discussion. When we were hashing this out, the point of "Pros" vs. "Ams" came up and most felt that if the flying field was leveled with power systems, the best design would win out. That said, how about this change to the wording which seems to be causing the most problems:

“The contest is limited to readers who's submission is neither in production, nor circulation through plans or through kits.”

Daren
Jan 10, 2002, 03:34 PM
I'm a new guy but I have to say that leaving out guys like Kevin, Steve, Darren, Dan, etc. is a mistake. The whole point is generating more 480 size jets AND that they be good flyers. These are the people that can deliver the goods so why leave them out? Beyond that my beef is the power requirement. I've been reading this site voraciously the past few months and it's clear to me that brushed motors are pretty much a waste of time for edf purposes. Given the relatively small price difference between brushed and brushless and the hassle of worrying about brush timing and wear I choose brushless, I mean...duh! Jets like an excess of power. I like excess of power. 1:1 thrust to weight ratios = fun. .3 to 1 = not fun, aka any stock Kyosho jet. I like Steve's rules:

1. Go as fast as you can.
2. Use as much power as you can.
3. Have as much fun as you can!!!!!!!

just my $0.02

Chris
Jan 10, 2002, 03:42 PM
Purple power
Quote:
Originally posted by Daren

“The contest is limited to readers who's submission is neither in production, nor circulation through plans or through kits.”

Daren
that is what i understood to be the intent originally.........gregg

Quick Reply