Mar 10, 2015, 03:57 PM
Dreamcatcher any chance of get a copy of your Corsair plans.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2015, 09:07 PM
Scale RC Plane Lover
all 6 flaps deployed.
Magnets attached to the battery hatch
Mar 11, 2015, 06:43 AM
Warbirds Lover
Jules,

Please can you explain a bit how your tooth pick is used to actuate the 3 flaps ?

I guess there is some tootth pick parts that slide inside some flaps but i'm not sure to unerstand 100% of the technic.

Thank you by advance !

@ Joe Valentin : Hi,
The plan i have is an original plan, printed on a A0 sheet from the French magazine "MRA". 100 % wood build, 88cm span.

The plan was published in the late 80's and i see that they still sell it (6 time the price i paid in the 80's )
http://librairie-hussard.com/catalog...l?currency=USD

I can try to take a picture of it but i'm not sure it can help a lot...
Mar 11, 2015, 09:02 PM
Thank you. I thought it was your design.
Mar 11, 2015, 09:50 PM
Scale RC Plane Lover
Pascal, you are correct, I use toothpicks to connect from one flap to another. The master flap are the ones that just beside ailerons. Then I glue a toothpick to the master flaps and loosely connect to the middle flap. And I done that the same for middle flap to the last flap.

here is the video
Corsair flap with 2 servos (1 min 31 sec)

Jules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher
Jules,

Please can you explain a bit how your tooth pick is used to actuate the 3 flaps ?

I guess there is some tootth pick parts that slide inside some flaps but i'm not sure to unerstand 100% of the technic.

Thank you by advance !

@ Joe Valentin : Hi,
The plan i have is an original plan, printed on a A0 sheet from the French magazine "MRA". 100 % wood build, 88cm span.

The plan was published in the late 80's and i see that they still sell it (6 time the price i paid in the 80's )
http://librairie-hussard.com/catalog...l?currency=USD

I can try to take a picture of it but i'm not sure it can help a lot...
Mar 12, 2015, 07:27 AM
Warbirds Lover

Thanks a lot Jules !

Great ideas and design, congratulations (Your cat seems to like it too )

Kind regards

@ Joe Valentin : Unfortunately my wooden F4U was not from my own design.

As i will have to "go for a ride" in my house's attic next week, i can search for the plan and take some vertical pictures of it + measuring some distances for you if that can help you to design your own F4U.
i already can say that the airfoil is a NACA 2412, the stab leading edge is set at +1 angle to allows the Corsair to fly level with the nose slightly down (as the real F4U).
The building is not very hard but i took me a long time...

Pascal
Mar 12, 2015, 05:23 PM
Looking very cool Jules. Keep it going. Thanks for the share. Clear Skies, Calm Winds.
Mar 15, 2015, 11:43 AM
Scale RC Plane Lover
Some progress this weekend, I started with printed paper for the plane coating but ended up with a mess. It was hard to manage and also too heavy, so I scrapped all the paper coat from the plane.

Then I paint it with aerosol spray paint like usual.
Next steps will be adding :
1. canopy glass
2. cockpit interior with printed paper
3. pilot with styrofoam
4. other details :
- cowl detail
- exhaust opening on cowl
- landing gear hatch doors (fixed-hanging)
- rockets and bombs
Mar 15, 2015, 12:28 PM
Looking awesome. Can't wait to give it a try. Clear Skies, Calm Winds.
Mar 15, 2015, 03:17 PM
Warbirds Lover
Great job Jules !

About the landing gear doors : i think it is possible to make them functional if you want.

i posted here under a basic drawing of the idea i had to command them without any servo.

Explanations :
The Green "Z" is a home made string made from a Z bent "B" guitar sting - the same system as the one used on the DLG/SAL gliders elevator and rudder that are activated by a simple nylon thread. Its purpose is to keep the door open when nothing push on the red "L" part.
You also can use rubber bands but they will be much more visible.

The red L part is a kind of "mecanical sensor" that will mecanicaly close the door when the wheel will push on it while the landing gear will retract into the wing )

The landing gear doors can be hinged with classic plastic hinges or adhesive tape or what ever... (no hinge on my drawing)

have a nice day !

Kind regards

Pascal
Last edited by Dreamcatcher; Mar 15, 2015 at 03:39 PM.
Mar 15, 2015, 08:04 PM
Scale RC Plane Lover
Thanks Pascal for the drawing and the idea
I want to do that if possible, but my wheels are too thick, there are not fully fit into the well. Some part just hanging about 1 cm, so any door would be impossible to close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher
Great job Jules !

About the landing gear doors : i think it is possible to make them functional if you want.

i posted here under a basic drawing of the idea i had to command them without any servo.

Explanations :
The Green "Z" is a home made string made from a Z bent "B" guitar sting - the same system as the one used on the DLG/SAL gliders elevator and rudder that are activated by a simple nylon thread. Its purpose is to keep the door open when nothing push on the red "L" part.
You also can use rubber bands but they will be much more visible.

The red L part is a kind of "mecanical sensor" that will mecanicaly close the door when the wheel will push on it while the landing gear will retract into the wing )

The landing gear doors can be hinged with classic plastic hinges or adhesive tape or what ever... (no hinge on my drawing)

have a nice day !

Kind regards

Pascal
Mar 16, 2015, 01:28 AM
Scale RC Plane Lover
more progress, canopy is in place
Mar 16, 2015, 02:18 AM
Very impressive! How did the weight turn out?
Mar 16, 2015, 03:06 AM
Scale RC Plane Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vork
Very impressive! How did the weight turn out?
thank you Dr.Vork, it is now 1152 gram.
Last edited by julescrafter; Mar 16, 2015 at 03:49 AM.
Mar 16, 2015, 12:17 PM
Jules will you be releasing a set of printable decals with the build? Hope so, they look very scale.

Quick Reply