Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Feb 23, 2015, 08:01 AM
Warbirds Lover
Dreamcatcher's Avatar
My Corsair was built with balsa and plywood and the AUW was 850g.

I think your foamy will be lighter so no problem using (hard) balsa + foam imho

Keep on the good job Mate !

Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2015, 08:14 AM
Registered User
What supports the landing gear?
Feb 23, 2015, 09:23 AM
Scale RC Plane Lover
julescrafter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher
My Corsair was built with balsa and plywood and the AUW was 850g.

I think your foamy will be lighter so no problem using (hard) balsa + foam imho

Keep on the good job Mate !

I hope so, thanks mate

Jules

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinger
What supports the landing gear?
just layer of foam connected to ribs and spar.
Feb 23, 2015, 11:39 AM
Warbirds Lover
Dreamcatcher's Avatar
on this point, jules, i think you are a bit optimistic...

I think you should use some hard wood / plywood to build the the landing gear supports and the ribs that supports the landing gear.

if you have no serious reinforcement in these area, you will have to perform very smooth kiss landings not to rip the gear out of the wing.

Just my two cents...

Cheers !

Pascal
Feb 23, 2015, 11:55 AM
Scale RC Plane Lover
julescrafter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher
on this point, jules, i think you are a bit optimistic...

I think you should use some hard wood / plywood to build the the landing gear supports and the ribs that supports the landing gear.

if you have no serious reinforcement in these area, you will have to perform very smooth kiss landings not to rip the gear out of the wing.

Just my two cents...

Cheers !

Pascal
yeah, actually I'm worried more about ripping out the landing gear when landing then breaking the wing . I will go building the fuselage then will get back to the wing.
Feb 23, 2015, 11:04 PM
Registered User
slebetman's Avatar
I've used solid foam to reinforce landing gears before. Just build it up in layers and then sand. Be sure to glue the foam to the top skin as well.

Regardless of weather you're using foam or wood or hard plastic as reinforcement the key is to spread the load wide enough to not rip the foam skins (that's really where most of your structural strength comes from. One trick I've seen done with jets is to fiberglass the insides of the wing around your hardpoints.
Feb 24, 2015, 03:56 AM
Scale RC Plane Lover
julescrafter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slebetman
I've used solid foam to reinforce landing gears before. Just build it up in layers and then sand. Be sure to glue the foam to the top skin as well.

Regardless of weather you're using foam or wood or hard plastic as reinforcement the key is to spread the load wide enough to not rip the foam skins (that's really where most of your structural strength comes from. One trick I've seen done with jets is to fiberglass the insides of the wing around your hardpoints.
thanks for the tips, mate I'll do that

Jules
Feb 24, 2015, 06:11 AM
Warbirds Lover
Dreamcatcher's Avatar
interesting information,
Thanks a lot Slebetman

Pascal
Feb 25, 2015, 04:36 AM
Scale RC Plane Lover
julescrafter's Avatar
Fuselage and stabilizer plans are printed (19 pages A4) , ready to transfer to foam.
Feb 25, 2015, 06:49 AM
Warbirds Lover
Dreamcatcher's Avatar
That sounds good !!
Mar 01, 2015, 09:13 AM
Scale RC Plane Lover
julescrafter's Avatar
slow but sure on fuselage build

Jules - diyfoamplane.com
Last edited by julescrafter; Mar 01, 2015 at 10:48 AM.
Mar 04, 2015, 03:50 AM
Scale RC Plane Lover
julescrafter's Avatar
Fuselage building progress : cockpit and rear fuselage
Mar 04, 2015, 05:11 AM
Warbirds Lover
Dreamcatcher's Avatar
Pretty good job Julescrafter !

Becareful : The F4U Corsair fuselage suffers a weakness point just behind the canopy.
So i might recommend you to strengthen the area where your rear fuselage's skin joins the rear of your canopy (if it's not already done), it can avoid the fuselage to break in two pieces here in case of hard landing.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...0)_in_1945.jpg

I look forward the next steps with interest !
Mar 04, 2015, 05:38 AM
Scale RC Plane Lover
julescrafter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher
Pretty good job Julescrafter !

Becareful : The F4U Corsair fuselage suffers a weakness point just behind the canopy.
So i might recommend you to strengthen the area where your rear fuselage's skin joins the rear of your canopy (if it's not already done), it can avoid the fuselage to break in two pieces here in case of hard landing.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...0)_in_1945.jpg

I look forward the next steps with interest !
Thanks Pascal
Okay I'll redesign the construction on that particular spot. UPDATE : another progress today
thanks again,

Jules
Last edited by julescrafter; Mar 04, 2015 at 02:01 PM.
Mar 07, 2015, 06:16 AM
Scale RC Plane Lover
julescrafter's Avatar
Progress today


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools