BoltRC - Range of racing quads and hex multirotor discussion - RC Groups
Feb 15, 2015, 06:37 AM
New Product

BoltRC - Range of racing quads and hex multirotor discussion

'Official' BoltRC miniquad discussion thread.
Featuring the bulletproof Bolt250 and new Bolt150,175,210,225and 250 sized race quads and 175 Hex

For discussion on the upcoming Kraken 250 see here.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2554888

Please keep comments relating to just the Kraken in the specific thread. For the usual chatter and related tech questions please feel free to discuss in this thread to preserve the "community"

http://boltrc.com/ For a full range of multirotor frames, motors and electronics.

A build video for the Bolt Race series of quads and hexes

Bolt 180 Build (12 min 52 sec)
Last edited by Robomort; Jan 25, 2016 at 07:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2015, 08:03 PM

Introducing the Bolt250

The BOLT250 is a high performance mini H frame FPV racer. We have taken inspiration from many sources and delivered something that is lightweight yet robust without breaking the bank. No glitzy LEDs or folding arms, just high quality CF packed full of unique design features that will keep you in the air longer. All of this without sacrificing either weight or strength.

Don't be confused, this is the real deal, prices start from around a US$60.
Last edited by boltrc; May 01, 2015 at 10:03 AM.
Mar 06, 2015, 08:04 PM

Great Videos

FPV Arnhem Land - Water (2 min 57 sec)
Last edited by boltrc; Jan 03, 2016 at 03:06 PM.
Mar 06, 2015, 08:11 PM

Specifications

BOLT250

Ridiculously strong proximity and newbie frames yet lighter than you average H frame starting at a low of A$80.

BOLT250 - 1.5mm plates, 5X3 arms, 12mm stainless steel fastenings and 30mm standoffs for a versatile and robust 230 sized fpv racer.

BOLT250 STEALTH - 1.5mm plates, 5X3 arms, 12mm aluminum fastenings and 25mm standoffs for a lighter and faster 230 sized fpv super racer. Besides, it just cool.

OPTIONS
Arms - 5X4, 6X3 and 6X4 - fits all frames
Mobius Plate - fits all frames

All plates are full CF with matt 3K twill finish. Frame weight is 120 grams for 5X3 Stealth version.

BOLT Race Frames

A series of unibody symmetrical frames designed for racing - lightweight, low surface area and low motor to motor length. These frames offer very high power to weight ratio with with rapid roll and pitch rates giving you a highly responsive quad with very high top end speeds.

BOLT 150 Tanto - 3in props suitable for 1104, 1306 and 1407 motors
BOLT 180 Lite - 4in props suitable for 1104, 1306 and 1407 motors
BOLT 180 Race - 4in props suitable for 1806 and 2204 motors
BOLT 210 Race - 5in props suitable for 1806, 2204 and 2206 motors
BOLT 225 - 5.5in props suitable for 2204 and 2206 motors

Please note that the above frames are all symmetrical motor locations. Frames that are not symmetrical (wider) have a smaller motor to motor number (size) but in reality are no smaller. When comparing to 3rd party asymmetrical frames, we recommend adjusting our frame sizes down by 20mm. In order words, a BOLT 210 race is equivalent in size to a 190 size asymmetrical frame.

BOLT Race - Black Ops Edition

Based on the Race series, this is a high performance 'offroad' racing machine with the strength you can rely upon. It offers similar low surface area as the race series but we have carefully added CF for strength. The frame uses a traditional sandwich construction but with the addition of an internal skeleton for added strength. Despite its light weight, don't underestimate the strength or top end performance of the Black Ops frames.

This will be available in a 4, 5 and 6in version from late March.

BOLT Hex Frames

Similar to the Bolt Race frames, our hex frames offer the latest unibody design concepts in a hex format. Besides, they just sound cool and a bit scary:

BOLT 175 Hex - 3in rocket
BOLT 225 Feral Hex - 4in monster

BOLT Kraken Frames

Currently in development, a class leading race frame designed from the ground up to put you on the podium. More info can be found on this thread.
Last edited by boltrc; Feb 24, 2016 at 10:12 AM.
Mar 06, 2015, 08:22 PM

Design Features

Key design features:
  • avoid large cut outs in the key top and bottom plates
  • create multiple channels to transfer impact energy throughout the frame
  • reduce frame height to increase strength and stiffness
  • ensure all plates are locked together as single unit through the standoff structure
  • minimize single point failures and spread any impact load
  • keep it equal or lighter than popular existing frames
  • ensure hole compatibility with popular existing frames
  • minimize bird's nest wiring

Hex Pattern

We make extensive use of the hex pattern throughout the frame. Despite the additional milling cost, in the key top and bottom plates each hex is kept small to ensure an intricate pattern of CF channels throughout the plates. This approach reduces weight but also minimizes large amounts of energy being channeled down thin strips of CF. Instead, the energy is dissipated throughout the frame reducing single point failures. The end results is a stiffer, stronger plate that can take a beating.

Standoff Height

Our standoff design delivers a frame which is approximately twice as stiff as a standard ZMR frame. We achieve this with much longer M3X12mm screws, integrated bottom plates and shorter standoffs.

In the BOLT250 we use 30mm alu standoffs and stainless steel screws. In the BOLT250 Stealth, we use 25mm standoffs and alu screws which will shear on a heavy impact.

More info on our analysis is contained in our blog here.
Last edited by boltrc; Mar 08, 2015 at 10:39 PM.
Mar 07, 2015, 07:00 PM

Gallery

Gallery.

If you have a useful design or build picture, please drop us an email at admin@boltrc.com
Last edited by boltrc; May 24, 2015 at 02:52 AM.
Mar 07, 2015, 09:56 PM
Dare to Inspire
What's estimated cost?
Mar 07, 2015, 10:58 PM
So just to clarify, the BOLT250 can take 6" props?
Really looking forward to this frame. Already ordered one.
Is there a way of knowing if it will be in the 13 March order or in April?

Cheers.
Mar 08, 2015, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebzy

Cheers.
Cool your jets Nebzy

By waiting on the final production version you will benefit from last minute tweeks and improvements. I have an early prototype. Myself and others have provided Mark with some further feed back on the construction and fit.

Trust me the extra month wait will be worth it The prototypes are every bit as good as most of the other makers but this one is going to 11!

Mark intends to offer both 5 and 6" arms. These arms will be mount compatible with the ZMR frame so owners of the ZMR will soon have a supplier of good quality after market arms.

I find it amazing Mark has initiated and put into production a new airframe with numerous innovative features in less time than the "Big Boys" take to restock an existing product.
Mar 08, 2015, 01:17 AM
Me dangerous @ BoltRc

Testament to toughness...

When pavalige + Bolt250 meets tree, frame and components survived, camera mount bent back but camera is still fully operational and the only other damage was it sheared 4 bolts off the arm , how tough is that..?
I clipped a low hanging branch full noise and it was enough to send me into this tree..
This is one durable frame

After I put four bolts in and straightened the camera I went for a fly ...perfect and it's a rocket on 3s let alone 4 .
So much fun to fly , I flown quite a few different frames and this is the best so far , no doubt.
Last edited by pavalige; Mar 10, 2015 at 12:27 AM.
Mar 08, 2015, 05:35 AM
All of the exiting orders will get 6in arms as standard. These should be shipped end of this week.

All new orders will be shipped early next month. These will be 5in standard with an option to upgrade to 6in arms for a nominal cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebzy

Cheers.
Mar 08, 2015, 05:37 AM
whao, never seen so much damage....that is just ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavalige
When pavalige + Bolt250 meets tree, frame and components survived, camera mount bent back but camera is still fully operational and the only other damage was it sheared 4 bolts off the arm , how tough is that..?
I clipped a low hanging branch full noise and it was enough to send me into this tree..
This is one durable frame
Mar 08, 2015, 06:00 AM
Hi Pav, how does the one strap with velcro go with keeping the battery stationary in crash(also what is the strap brand?)? I use two straps nice and tight and I still get a bit of battery movement in a crash.
Mar 08, 2015, 07:52 AM
Me dangerous @ BoltRc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powis89
Hi Pav, how does the one strap with velcro go with keeping the battery stationary in crash(also what is the strap brand?)? I use two straps nice and tight and I still get a bit of battery movement in a crash.
I've not had many issues with the battery ejecting with the one strap...I do tighten it down pretty well and it goes around the whole quad.
I do make sure the strap is in the middle of the battery not necessarily the quad.
These straps are from HK I think if memory serves me well.