Feb 14, 2015, 03:01 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

TypeXXIII Bronco

Some time ago, purchased kit of Type XXIII from Bronco. Beautifull kit,QUality is excelent, size to. I am planning to build it with Subdriver.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2015, 12:15 AM
How are you going to open up the hull, with a cut out top hatch or utilize the hulls fore and aft separation?
Feb 15, 2015, 03:10 AM
Thread OP
Hull will be forward and aft section. Forward will be glued together, because there is not reason for maintenance. on aft I will use screws. Sail will be on strong magnets
Last edited by DDG 51; Feb 15, 2015 at 06:59 PM.
Feb 17, 2015, 03:03 AM
Thread OP
Little work perfomed. Central ribs are on magnets. I hace to cutcables from servos, speed conroll... they are to long.
Feb 17, 2015, 03:20 AM
Will the magnets be the only ones holding the fore and aft sections together?

You're not using David Merriman's fittings, are you? What brand is that brass prop you're using?
Feb 17, 2015, 10:58 AM
Thread OP
No, I am not using Merrimanns fittings. There is not reason to use them, everything is in the kit. Magnets are enough for holding two hull sections.
Feb 23, 2015, 12:40 AM
where did you get your brass prop?
Feb 23, 2015, 05:52 AM
Thread OP
I purchased it in local hobby store, it is Raboesh prop. Catalog number is 162-22
Feb 24, 2015, 02:47 PM
MFR
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Looking good to me, you followed the same road as me using magnets for keeping both ends together, simple but effective.
Question, how do you secure your SD inside?
Looking forward to your trimming session, keep in mind that the sail is standing high compared to the hull when trimmed on the waterline, i needed a lot of lead and foam to counteract this

Manfred.
Feb 24, 2015, 04:16 PM
Submarines, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFR
Looking forward to your trimming session, keep in mind that the sail is standing high compared to the hull when trimmed on the waterline, i needed a lot of lead and foam to counteract this

Manfred.
that's a nice tidbit of info there. i will keep that in mind when i build mine.
Feb 24, 2015, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFR
you followed the same road as me using magnets for keeping both ends together, simple but effective.
Manfred.
Not only that, even the way the stern planes and rudder is controlled is similar to yours. He just made them simpler.
Feb 25, 2015, 07:52 AM
Thread OP
Manfred: How much is this a LOT OF LEAD AND FOAM. Foam is OK, but do you have any idea, about weight of lead? I was thinking to start about 200-250 grams of lead. But I have to put sub to the water first. SD is secured in hull by two bumpers, for now. But I am planning put there some plastic rails and this will keep pipe in exact position. I am not working on the sub right now, Iam 3000 km out of my house at work, will start again in 12 days ;-)
Magnets are good idea to hold halves of hull togheter.For pushrods too. I have ready model for magnetic pushrods for my Engels Type VII too. Just I will use bigger magnets.
Feb 25, 2015, 02:42 PM
MFR
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
DDG 51,

You can weigh your tower, that much lead you need anyway to counteract the instability of the tower when on waterline.
Starting with 200-250 grams looks OK to me, i've added some more things to my tower to make certain things work, also had to counteract that weight, i guess i used about 600 grams of lead.
Don't know if you allready glued the front part of your sub, if not, you can work with elastic rubber bands during trimming, worked for me.
Just one more question, how did you made your connection to the propellor shaft?, i made a key-like connection, a very strong magnet can do the job also.

Manfred.

Quick Reply