BBCC6 - Goldberg Li'l Satan C/L to R/C - WITH MAIDEN FLIGHT VIDEO - FREE PLANS - RC Groups
Feb 14, 2015, 10:59 AM
Build Log

BBCC6 - Goldberg Li'l Satan C/L to R/C - WITH MAIDEN FLIGHT VIDEO - FREE PLANS

I'll be converting the Carl Golderg Li'l Satan C/L 1/2A Combat plane to RC. I saw some 40-size "combat-style" planes fly RC at Round Valley Reservoir when I was a kid, and that was extremely exciting. It's about time I made one for myself. I build at least one of these for C/L as a kid and it lasted a season or two (pretty good considering my C/L skills at the time).

I'll be working from the Outerzone's copy of the kit plans, putting them into CAD, modifying for modern construction and R/C needs. Then I can laser cut and make them available for others.

This thread will be the Construction Thread - the previous attempt at a thread turned out to be a discussion regarding flying wings, which this aircraft most assuredly is not.

I humbly request that comments regarding flying wings be made in a suitable thread, not this one. If you have questions or comments regarding this airplane, they are most welcome. I appreciate the comments and reminiscences that others made regarding their experiences with the plane as a C/L model!

Thanks guys!

Andy
Last edited by AndyKunz; Apr 02, 2015 at 10:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2015, 10:59 AM
MAIDEN FLIGHT VIDEO: 2015-02-28

My son Ian managed to get a video of most of the first flight using his cell phone. It's not impressive in any way, but it you can see both tail-heavy handling and good roll and yaw stability. More comments on the YouTube page.

Andy

Li'l Satan Maiden Flight 2015 02 28 (2 min 48 sec)
Last edited by AndyKunz; Mar 03, 2015 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Add video link
Feb 14, 2015, 11:02 AM
In the previous thread, I posted a PDF showing the current state and direction I was going with the R/C conversion. I am re-posting that file here, as it is good to compare the C/L version to the direction that I am going with the R/C version.

Andy
Feb 14, 2015, 12:55 PM
Team Fearless
My uncle scaled a Lil Satan to .20 size and converted it to R/C and it was an absolute hand full!
Very easy to tip stall at both high and low speeds. He still has it but has not flown it in a couple of years. The Lil Satan is a sweet plane for C/L but may not be the best for R/C conversion.
However, I wish you luck and success. Please post pics and video.

Shawn
Feb 14, 2015, 01:16 PM
Last night I finished up the first pass of the cut files and made myself a kit. As expected there were some changes I needed to make, so this morning I make them (and of course found some more) but not so bad as to stop me from building.

The quad motor mounts a little differently that the normal airplane motors. There is a 1/4" hole in the firewall, and two layers of 1/8" thick donuts so the motor mounting nut (the white plastic thing) holds it snugly.

Originally I was trying to keep the "saggy covering" that is seen on the original plans and box, but after looking at how the aileron servos would need to mount I finally gave in and went with a standard 1/8" sq spar top and bottom.

The wing construction is straightforward, just a matter of adding ribs to the LE and bottom spar. Note that some ribs have a top and a bottom (notch for the servo bays goes on TOP).

Andy
Feb 14, 2015, 06:41 PM
Feb 14, 2015, 07:23 PM
Closed Account
I had a lot of fun flying the Goldberg Li'l Satan when I was a youngster. This was my first combat wing and if memory serves me correctly it scared the 'ell out of me when my pal let the plane go on its maiden flight. I went round and round and that's ALL I did on that first flight! Afterwards I tied crepe paper streamers onto the plane and flew it that way until I settled down to the ways of combat wings. Then came the VOODOO!!

Soft landings,

Joe
Feb 14, 2015, 07:38 PM
My nephew has my Voodoo now, and it still has a Fox .25 up front. I built it probably 40 years ago. Only thing changed was going from the original Silkspan to Monokote (even kept the same baby blue color).

Andy
Feb 14, 2015, 08:00 PM
Closed Account
My Voodoo had a Fox .35 on the nose and was my first jump into the combat planes with that size engine. I used a yellow base color with red trim. Man, I sure had fun back in those days!

Soft landings,

Joe
Feb 14, 2015, 08:05 PM
We tried to fly it on the same lines that we used for our .049 planes. We flew in the field, and there was this dang sour cherry tree that was always in the way...

A .25 on it was plenty with 30' lines!

Andy
Feb 14, 2015, 08:08 PM
Closed Account
30 foot lines with a .25...OMG! Someone could have used you for a post auger!

Soft landings,

Joe
Feb 14, 2015, 09:03 PM
Back to building...

The ailerons are barn doors, and the trailing edge shows it. The wing edge facing the ailerons is 1/32" sheet that mounts to the back of the ribs. On top of that goes a 1/32" thick T-shaped piece with notches to align with the ribs. This goes on top of the ribs (which are also notched). After those dry, the top side T piece is adding, giving a surprisingly solid edge. I'll be using top-mounted control horns (so the grass doesn't damage stuff) with tape on the top side.

The ailerons are also built up from 1/32" sheet (notched appropriately) and 1/16" ribs. With everything keyed together like this there is virtually no need of plans, just a square. In fact, those plans you see in the PDF above were just given to me tonight by a friend - my plotter is down right now and I've done the squaring manually. I dropped the wing onto the plans he delivered and everything is nice and true.

Anyway, while the ailerons are drying I mounted the 1/32" ply hinge doublers on both sides of the booms. They are pre-drilled, and my hinge pin will be two 1" long sections of 1/16" music wire ... sound familiar? The hole alignment was checked using a drill bit.

Enough glue and stuff for tonight. After church tomorrow I hope to get some more done, but don't count on it. My daughter got her driving permit this week and has been bugging me to go put it to use.

Andy
Feb 15, 2015, 03:10 AM
Just Jamie and Me
Sigh, you're really making me miss my childhood...

My flying buddy and I flew the heck out of our Lil Satans and Combat Kittens back then with Cox .049 engines that I modified for more power. Ah, to return to those simpler more innocent times...

Good luck with the conversion. I was going to ask about adding a rudder, but I noticed you're adding ailerons so no need.
Feb 16, 2015, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by babblefish
Sigh, you're really making me miss my childhood...
I haven't stopped being a kid. I just have a lot more experience at it than I did 50 years ago!

I finished up the ailerons and sanded them smooth, sanded the wing, and then installed the sides for the nose. I guess you'd call it the fuselage, what little bit it is. The sides slide in from the front, and flex and twist so they can slide over the leading edge.

As you can see in the one photo, I put one side on upside down, so I just pulled it out and corrected. The firewall slips in the same sort of way. Then I glued the sides to the R1 ribs, clamped them, and will let it cure.

Time to get ready for Castle now anyways. More tomorrow, Lord willing.

Andy
Feb 16, 2015, 09:30 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
It's funny. ..i'm a glider guy, but did do glow way back when and never had any desire to do C/L...but dagnabbit if there's not a bunch of CL planes i just love the looks of! I'd love to someday do a glider version PSS power slope scale...now to just find a particular model. ..
Last edited by cityevader; Feb 16, 2015 at 11:02 PM. Reason: correceted auyo-correct