This thread is privately moderated by dmrcflyr2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 13, 2015, 07:41 PM
Cat Man
Thread OP
Discussion

The Saito FA-45 MKII

As much as I didn't need another engine, this deal was too good to pass up. I purchased a new and unrun Saito FA-45MKII from a fellow member here. I already have a FA-45S which has hotter cam timing and basically makes the same power as the FA-50. The 45 Special according to this website: http://saito-engines.info/ , was not sold in the US. I am pretty sure that I bought my 45S from a hobby shop in WI, but I really have no records or proof of that. Bottom line is I didn't purchase it used nor from overseas.

So I could tell immediately that this 45 had never seen a drop of fuel, very cool. It came in a slightly tattered box, some paperwork but not the instruction sheet, decals and tools.

I fully intend to run this engine tomorrow as I am never going to sell it. I usually disassemble, inspect, and clean all used engines I buy, but tonight I decided to do the same to this new engine.

I was really hoping for the instruction sheet as the carbuerator on this has a large knob for the idle mixture. Even though this engine has never run, I would like to know what the initial setting for this knob should be, as it could have been turned in its lifetime. There is no throttle stop screw so setting the idle is going to be interesting. It also has the reward facing carb inlet so you cannot see which direction WOT is without at least taking the carb off. I'm sure I will forget by tomorrow and have difficult starting the thing.

You can tell this one one of Saito's first engines with the enclosed pushrods. The fit of the tubes and rubber inserts is quite loose and unrefined. I almost just left them off. the rubber piece at the top had a tendency to go all the way up into the rocker housing. The tubes do not fit any better down at the bottom either. I can easily slide the tubes up and down as it is assembled.

I put oil on all of the dry, very dry parts as I re-assembled it. Once the glow plug, a new OS F plug, was installed the thing had quite good compression.

One thing I found very odd whne I went to set the valves was that the adjustment screws were different. The intake screw was a slotted head while the exhaust had a standard hex head. Very odd.

Well we will see how it runs tomorrow.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2015, 08:19 PM
I had one of these. It was hands down the best running glow engine that I ever had. The idle was ridiculously low and had instant throttle response. Never had any dead sticks. Only problem is with the little carb inlet and the low lift cam, it didn't make any power. I think I ran a 11x7 prop at maybe 7,000 rpm. Flew a 40 sized trainer nicely. The 45 specials make much more power. I run 10x7.5 zinger 3 blades and they turn up much higher.
Feb 20, 2015, 09:04 PM
Cat Man
Thread OP
If you look at the videos of it running here,
Saito FA-45 MKII (0 min 24 sec)
I had it turning an 11x6 over 8800RPM easily. Actually this video doesn't show that RPM, the throttle had slipped back a bit and I was in front of the engine. But it hit 9000 for a second but I didn't let it stay there. It was the second tank and I am still breaking it in.
Nov 14, 2017, 11:08 AM
Club Saito | Genesis 8:11

Saito FA-40 MKIII Saito FA-45 MKII Manual

Ran across this on another site, a scan of the manual:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saito-FA-30...YAAOSwH3haBmEr

I have a similar engine to clean up today, am slowly warming up to it. It is nice & will look great after cleaning.
I read that that it is quiet with a modern Saito muffler ...but i prefer a pipe of course.

Hoping to get about 9,000 rpm with APC 11x6. Supposedly it can perform a low idle.
Last edited by Bunnyshooter223; Nov 14, 2017 at 05:37 PM. Reason: edited, rpm limit

Quick Reply