Mar 08, 2015, 09:05 AM
Yep! I'm addicted.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42
The e-motorbox is pre drilled for the Hacker, but you need to drill the firewall to mount the e-motorbox... if I member correctly.
That's correct
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2015, 06:50 AM
What size spinner is needed?
Mar 10, 2015, 07:24 AM
indywestrc & viehercfliers
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce
What size spinner is needed?
3" as listed is correct.
http://www.aj-aircraft.com/73-Laser-230z_p_9.html
Mar 10, 2015, 07:27 AM
indywestrc & viehercfliers

SFGs?

I have not installed the side force generators on my retro scheme 73".

Before I cut into the wing's Ultracote, can anyone who has comment on the differences in flight characteristics with and without the SFGs?

Thanks - Suds
Mar 10, 2015, 06:44 PM
i fly without and love the plane. i have them on smaller planes and its worth doing IF u want to add assembly time at the field. this summer ill put them on my laser and try them but it flys so good i dont know why id even try. haha
Mar 10, 2015, 06:50 PM
just got back from the field after testing my 73" since i converted to electric. well....not impressed but still happy enough. has no more power then my 40 twin i took off the nose but i like the instant torque. my motor was screeching so when i got home i tried some different timing settings and didnt help. went from the 8PWM Hacker tells me to use and tried outrunner mode. outrunner mode seems to cut the screeching down but would need to fly it again to find out. think i shouldnt have got this TALON120HV. also i tried the CG that everyone reccomended on here ahead of the wing tube. flys very very true but now it seems like its too docile. i need to move my batterys back. will try a few things in the next few days to tweek it out. she sure is smooth though. still in love with the plane
Mar 11, 2015, 12:10 AM
Did you adjust the TIMING or the PWM? The squeal is usually caused by loss of sync with the motor. If your motor timing is default (5) try custom and go down one point at a time until the squeal goes away. I don't have my settings handy (EDGE 120) but had considered switching to the Mezon but have heard mixed comments there
Mar 11, 2015, 08:27 AM
I did tru adjusting the timing more then one point at a time with no change. The PWM I went from 8 to outrunner mode and allot of the noise went away. I need to get it back in the air and try again
Mar 11, 2015, 02:05 PM

She Flies!

This was the maiden. Still needs a spinner, but what a machine! Lights are next for evening hucking!
Mar 11, 2015, 06:33 PM
Huckin around the Shire
Is that a VVRC-40 and Vess 20B?

I got some miracle spinners that work well. They make annodized color ones now. Aerobeez and taildragger sell them. probably some others. SDShobby I think sells the ultimate style now. Short money and they are pretty light.
Mar 11, 2015, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds
Thanks, Can't believe I missed that.
Mar 14, 2015, 07:51 PM
Thread OP
The overhaul of the 73" manual is complete. Please re-download if you happen to be working on one! Everyone have a good weekend.

https://aj-aircraft-com.3dcartstores...ch%20Laser.pdf
Mar 16, 2015, 02:01 PM
Picked up this ship awhile back..thought I'd post some pics and some pros and cons if anyone out there was looking at getting one!
AJ laser
Da35cc
Mtw header & plane bender smooth pipe
Falcon 20x9 prop 
Futaba 9156 and 9157 on rudder 
Seacraft servo arms and runner hardware 

I changed all the 2-56 hardware to 4-40 and built one central hobbies carbon fiber rod for elevator half the only one I couldn't size up...if anyone hasn't tried these carbon fiber rods very very cool..with saying that my first con was the hardware..it's usable but why not go with 4-40 since most us have arms drilled for 4-40 I also found the cowl bolts to be close to the edge..not leaving alot of room there..we'll see how it holds up..i added more apoxy around that area..along with blind nuts other than that everything went together easy and straight forward 

For build pics check here

http://rccanucks.com/showthread.php?...sky-Laser-230z
Mar 16, 2015, 03:53 PM
+1 on Central Hobbies C/F Rods. I use them alot and really like them. I went 4-40 as well. One difference I split my elevators to create Elevons on my 73".

Once I get back out now the weather is getting nicer, my next thing is to play with ESC's to see what works the best with the Hacker.
Mar 17, 2015, 07:01 AM
I completely agree about the hardware, it is really substandard in comparison to Pilot, 3dHS, & EF. All 3 come with turnbuckle control rods in a 30 cc sized plane & up. I threw away the tires and bought new ones. I also felt the canopy and cowl were very thin. This plane cost me more then my 71" slick, 73" Pilot Yak, and EF 70" extra, yet came with lesser quality cowl, canopy & hardware.

I'm not bashing the plane & I did get the first run so maybe these issues will be addressed for future runs. I know it will fly amazing because I've owned 4 sizes of the AJ Slick.

Quick Reply