Apr 01, 2015, 11:54 AM
This is another reason I am switching to eagle tree vector. I have one on my 450 quad with the telemetry coming to my tarnis. I will be replacing the naza on my 650 frame soon also. To solve my problem with turning on my logger, I use the throttle kill switch to turn on the logger. If it is not up(throttle kill off), the logger starts. That way, no matter what the logger starts before each flight.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2015, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boceifo
This is another reason I am switching to eagle tree vector. I have one on my 450 quad with the telemetry coming to my tarnis. I will be replacing the naza on my 650 frame soon also. To solve my problem with turning on my logger, I use the throttle kill switch to turn on the logger. If it is not up(throttle kill off), the logger starts. That way, no matter what the logger starts before each flight.
I've got my throttle kill on a spring loaded switch. I was concerned I might accidentally trigger it mid flight.
Apr 11, 2015, 08:43 PM
I've confirmed this works for the X4R.
Apr 12, 2015, 08:10 AM
Each of the devices that go on the s-bus have to have their own address. What address is the vector using I like having my lipo monitor on the screen. One problem I am having is the pack voltage is jumping around quite a bit
Apr 12, 2015, 07:19 PM
Smasher of foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFPV
Nice approach! I had set my logs to a switch as well, and was forgetting to activate the log on occasion too. My fix to realize I hadn't turned on the log was to setup some logical switches to only turn on the voice indicators I assigned to my mode switches if the log wasn't on, but I still had the ability to take off despite this. I hadn't programmed it to cut the throttle to -100 because of the fear of falling from the sky. It hadn't occurred to me to override the mode switches to RTL! Great fix.
FWIW, I removed the throttle -100 from that switch. My original intent was to prevent myself from taking off before I turned on the logging. But even though I had this switch set to also override the mode switches into RTL, if I flick the switch in flight, the quad falls for about half a second before RTL catches it. So I removed that throttle-kill function from the switch. Since the Vector won't arm in RTL mode, when my switch is off it still serves the function of preventing me from arming and taking off without turning on the logger.

(I know I could set a delay on the throttle-100 part to make sure the Vector activates RTL before the taranis stops sending throttle, but there's really no point in killing the throttle input.)
Apr 16, 2015, 01:26 AM
Anyone get this working on OpenLRS?
Apr 16, 2015, 03:42 AM
KI7CBF
Nope. It won't work yet because OpenLRS doesn't support FrSky X-Series (S.Port) protocols. It's in the development pipeline, but hasn't been done yet. When OpenLRSNG does support it, it will require some simple hardware on both Tx and Rx sides to invert some signals.

I for one am anxiously awaiting it!
Apr 18, 2015, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinuc
I've confirmed this works for the X4R.
Photos !!
Apr 18, 2015, 06:29 AM
Hi ! well done here !
If only it could be possible to connect to D-series, it would be amazing.
Just a question.

Moreover, we could make cool LUA scripting for display info like on this marvellous project (Mavlink>FrSkySport)
https://github.com/wolkstein/MavLink_FrSkySPort

For people in this thread, these script (from Ivale and Wolke- thanks to them!) can be use with some modification to have nearly same result in display.

I'm not using Smart Port but I've used the D series FrSky project which is very interesting (with arduino mini pro or Teensy 3.1, more powerful for battery cell monitoring)
Last edited by macfly1202; Apr 18, 2015 at 06:38 AM.
Apr 19, 2015, 08:34 AM
Learning to crash
Holy mackarel, those uart connections are tiny. Got mine in from digikey and do have a pair of crimpers that will work, but its still too small for me to get it to hold good. Sent ET an email to see if I can just buy the GPS cable instead of the entire harness. I use my mic cable, so thats out.
Apr 22, 2015, 02:31 AM
Superduper... Happy I switched over to ET. This was one of the missing links to be fully operational and have done additional redundancy on my LR FPV platform.
Thx for this great addition!
Apr 23, 2015, 08:44 AM
Learning to crash
Hey, where did my quad go???
I was watching all the cool new Vector telemetry read outs on my T+ instead of where I was flying hahaha. Just kidding, got my cable set in yesterday and made my cable out of the GPS cable in the pack. Works great!
Apr 24, 2015, 06:35 AM
did the same thing a few days ago, stopped to look at the transmitter and not the tree, I haven't climbed the tree in 20 years it was fun.
Apr 25, 2015, 02:11 AM
KI7CBF
Well if you'd like to look at the telemetry later, I found a (free!) program you might find useful. DashWare reads in telemetry files with GPS and timing data and can create instrument overlays of the data on top of video. Here's an example I did today using the data in my Taranis log (a lot of it coming from the Vector):

Using FrSky Taranis and Eagletree Vector Data to Experimen with DashWare (14 min 12 sec)

I think it's pretty cool to have a nice visual playback like this. It's really interesting to see the data and notice how noisy it is and how it can be delayed. It's kind of amazing these flight controllers work as well as they do.

I had to massage the data from the Taranis a little bit using Perl scripts (combine the date & time fields, change the format of the GPS coordinates) and the DashWare program is a bit buggy, but I still like the results. Take a look at their website if you're interested; they have a bunch of cool instrument panels already made up.
Last edited by xtrmtrk; Apr 25, 2015 at 02:24 AM.
May 06, 2015, 03:35 PM
Smasher of foam
Hey X8R/Taranis/Vector users! If you're like me, you've maybe noticed that the RSSI port on your X8R doesn't actually provide any useful information whatsoever. I did a whole bunch of searching about and found that it just doesn't seem to work in any rational way. (If you have RSSI out working on your X8R somehow, please let me know! I've found zero people so far who seem to have figured it out.)

Anyway, since the X8R sends its RSSI data back to the Taranis, I found a way to send that RSSI value from the Taranis back to the Vector so it displays properly! Here's a video of it working:
Vector OSD and FrSky X8R with working RSSI! (1 min 29 sec)

And here's what I did to get it to work this way. (Originally posted in the main Vector thread)

1. On my Taranis, I setup a new input using RSSI as the source. I set the scale at 100, weight at 100, and offset at -100. (The offset -100 makes it so that the eventual output will be recognized by the vector as zero when RSSI is at zero. Otherwise, the output would still be seen by the vector as 50%)
2. I added a mix to channel 8, using my new input as the source. I didn't touch any other settings in the mix.
3. Then on my Vector, I set the SBUS channel 8 to RSSI. (I had to do this in the Vector config software. I couldn't find it anywhere in the OSD stick menus.)
4. In order to calibrate the Vector so that it would display 100% RSSI only if the Taranis was showing 100%, I had to get creative. Because my Taranis would rarely show any RSSI higher than 91db, the RX wizard would read that 91 and interpret it as 100%. That's no good. So I changed the source in my channel 8 mix to one of my knobs. Then I used the knob in the RC calibration to set the 0% and 100% points in the RC wizard. When the wizard told me to turn off my transmitter, I just turned the knob down to zero and clicked next. When the wizard told me to turn my transmitter on again, I turned the knob up to the halfway point and clicked next. Then I went through the other steps as directed.
5. After I ran the RX wizard, I went back to the channel 8 mix on my Taranis and changed the source back to my new RSSI input.

And that's it. It works! The Vector's OSD always shows the exact same RSSI value displayed on my Taranis. (Except when the Taranis has an RSSI value higher than 100. I know the Taranis isn't showing a percentage, but instead a db rating, which is why it can go above 100. If my Taranis shows 102, for example, the Vector just shows 100.)

This is a completely ridiculous cludge, but at least it's working. It's so silly that I'm sending the RSSI data from the X8R to my Taranis and then sending it back through the X8R to the Vector to be displayed! I've flown at least 20 flights since setting this up, and it's worked very well every time, tested in flights up to 2000 feet away.
Last edited by AeroMaestro; Oct 06, 2015 at 07:26 AM.

Quick Reply