How to Display Vector telemetry on your Taranis radio - Page 2 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 23, 2015, 01:27 AM
KI7CBF
I wonder if you could send this data through OpenLRSNG systems back to a Taranis using the "Passthrough" telemetry downlink. I know the OpenLRSNG receivers support Smart Port only for RSSI and analog sensors, but maybe you could send the data through raw since the Vector is taking care of all the formatting. If Passthrough mode doesn't do any data formatting, it may work. I need to do some experimenting.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2015, 02:27 PM
Smasher of foam
I just got my vector all set up today. Since I'm not using a microphone, I used the included microphone cable to plug into the UART port, and then just modified a standard servo cable to hookup to the S.Port. Works like a charm.
Mar 06, 2015, 04:25 PM
I did same thing with the microphone plug... removed the fourth pin and servo female plug and then wired up a new futaba style servo wire to match diagram. Works like a charm. Very impressed.
Mar 08, 2015, 07:46 PM
I know the one end is a servo connector, but what type of connector is the other? I don't have a spare satellite lead. Anybody have a link to that part on mouser or digikey?
Mar 09, 2015, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguiepat
I know the one end is a servo connector, but what type of connector is the other? I don't have a spare satellite lead. Anybody have a link to that part on mouser or digikey?
It's a JST ZHR.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1202-ND/608643

You will need some fine pitch crimpers to crimp the pins. I use Engineer PA-09 crimpers.
Mar 10, 2015, 04:30 PM
can someone please make a quick video on how to set this up ...i made the cable but the only thing im seeing is the gps coordinance i dont see any thing as far as
barometer? im using taranis plus if that makes a diffrence
Mar 12, 2015, 09:22 AM
Smasher of foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcom58
can someone please make a quick video on how to set this up ...i made the cable but the only thing im seeing is the gps coordinance i dont see any thing as far as
barometer? im using taranis plus if that makes a diffrence
This video helped me get it set up. The list of parameters you can display is in JohnET's post at the top of this page.

Welcome to Taranis, Part 8a: Basic Telemetry (6 min 13 sec)
Mar 12, 2015, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeyMonk
This video helped me get it set up.
Thanks! Digikey was fast! Wow, those are small connectors. I just used pliers but so far so good. I've now got the numbers showing up on my Taranis.

It would be nice if they could add Cell Voltage and somehow auto determine the cell count. I've learned 3.7v as the important number and it would be nice to be able to set a Taranis low warning that will work regardless of what battery I use.

Also would be nice if we could get the timer from the vector.
Mar 13, 2015, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguiepat
Wow, those are small connectors.
The Molex Picoblades on my Frsky X4R-SB and my camera are even worse! So far I've yet to find any affordable ratchet type crimpers for these terminals, or the JST ZH series. Even the Engineer PA-09 non ratcheting ones are pretty expensive (though much cheaper than JST and Molex branded ratcheting crimpers). If anyone knows of an affordable ratcheting crimper (under $100) that will work with Molex picoblade and/or JST ZH I'd love to know about them.
Mar 13, 2015, 12:46 PM
Smasher of foam
I've setup all the telemetry on my Taranis -- and I'm very happy with it.
I've also setup telemetry logging on the Taranis, which should be great -- but if I needed to actually access those logs, I have to plug my Taranis into a computer with at least a spreadsheet app. (One of the main reasons I switched to the Vector was that I didn't want to drag a laptop to the field to change settings anymore.)

But I've noticed that if I unplug my Vector while the Taranis is still on, the last GPS coordinates stay on the Taranis screen. This is GREAT, since it means that in the event of a crash, even if the battery is ejected or the X8R stops transmitting, I should still have the last known coordinates displayed on my Taranis. (So long as I'm smart enough not to turn it off.)

Can anybody confirm that this is a feature and not just a fluke? If so, I'm really happy to have this working exactly as is.
Mar 17, 2015, 03:22 PM
I've been playing with the Frsky telemetry reporting, and overall, I've been pretty happy with it (I'm mostly using it for tracking mAH consumed), but I find the voltage reporting is very poor. Instead of getting a linear voltage reading, it seems to jump around in steps, often with quite huge swings. I wonder if the format were changed to report the voltage as FAS current sensor voltage rather than A2 voltage if the reporting would be more linear. Alas, this will require a firmware update, and the Frsky smart port protocol isn't public info, so I'm unsure how complex this modification would be.
Mar 20, 2015, 11:54 PM
Ditto!

Got it working. Learning curve was not the cable, but the Taranis Telemetry.

Thank you! I truly appreciate Eagle Tree getting this feature in. Whoever the crazy engineer is that plumbed this in, probably over a weekend, great job!

I can now get the power essentials without pulling on the goggles for preflight. Further, it makes test flights for configurating my quad easy without the need for consulting the OSD, and allows me to pop the goggles off for LOS flying.

Cheers,

Thomas
Mar 27, 2015, 10:04 AM
Smasher of foam
I'm really grateful for the Vector telemetry through my X8R and Taranis. But I'm wondering if I've got things set up as well as I can get them.

Here's a screenshot showing two logs of the same flight.
Red Line = The Vector's own log of the flight
Orange Line = The Taranis' log of the same flight.

I've got my Taranis set to log data points every .1 second. You'll see the resolution on the taranis flight log is REALLY low. It's not exactly inaccurate, it's just not logging data very often. Surely with a logging interval of 1/10 of a second, my flight map should be more precise. Is this because the Vector is slow to get GPS coordinates out to the UART port, or because the X8R is slow to transmit them to the radio, or because there is some baud-rate mismatch between the Vector and the X8R?

Or is this just the best I can hope for? If I'd had a crash at some of the farthest points on this map, you can see my Taranis's displayed coordinates wouldn't get me very close to the actual location of my quad at all.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:21 AM
Smasher of foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeyMonk
I've got my Taranis set to log data points every .1 second. You'll see the resolution on the taranis flight log is REALLY low. It's not exactly inaccurate, it's just not logging data very often. Surely with a logging interval of 1/10 of a second, my flight map should be more precise.
I figured out my problem: I had set a logic switch to log data whenever my throttle was greater than zero. This didn't work as I'd intended --- instead, it was constantly starting new sessions as my throttle went up and down. (A single log file would have hundreds of tiny sessions!) I switched the logging to start and stop with a switch, and problem solved! I'm getting nice, smooth data logs with very precise GPS tracking. Everything's peachy.

(I set the switch to also override throttle to -100, and override my Mode and Sub mode switches to RTL. That way I can't possibly arm and take off without turning on my logging switch. And if I accidentally bump the switch while I'm flying, it'll engage RTL without killing my motors and dropping me out of the sky.)

Thanks again, Eagle Tree, for enabling this great feature!
Apr 01, 2015, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroMaestro

(I set the switch to also override throttle to -100, and override my Mode and Sub mode switches to RTL. That way I can't possibly arm and take off without turning on my logging switch. And if I accidentally bump the switch while I'm flying, it'll engage RTL without killing my motors and dropping me out of the sky.)

Thanks again, Eagle Tree, for enabling this great feature!
Nice approach! I had set my logs to a switch as well, and was forgetting to activate the log on occasion too. My fix to realize I hadn't turned on the log was to setup some logical switches to only turn on the voice indicators I assigned to my mode switches if the log wasn't on, but I still had the ability to take off despite this. I hadn't programmed it to cut the throttle to -100 because of the fear of falling from the sky. It hadn't occurred to me to override the mode switches to RTL! Great fix.