Feb 12, 2015, 09:10 PM
Thread OP
Cool

How to Display Vector telemetry on your Taranis radio

If you use a Taranis radio and an X8R or compatible “Smart Port” telemetry enabled receiver, you can now see lots of Vector telemetry and log data on your radio!

To utilize this feature, you will need to install version 11.68 or later Vector software, from here.

You will also need to build a simple cable that connects between the Vector’s "UART" port and the receiver’s “S.Port” input. See the photo of the cable below. ET may later offer the cable pre-made if there’s enough demand – let us know!

IMPORTANT: don’t connect the cable to any Vector port other than "UART," or to any receiver port other than “S.Port”. Doing so could damage your equipment! Also, you CANNOT have additional Smart Port compatible telemetry modules connected at the same time as the Vector is connected.

Note: only the X8R receiver has been tested, but other "X Series" Smart Port enabled receivers may work. Non Smart Port telemetry receivers will NOT work.

Here is information on the readouts that you can display on the Taranis. Please consult your Taranis manual or forum threads if you have questions about how to use and configure telemetry readouts on your radio, or how to log data to your radio.

* Barometric Altitude – Choose “Alt” numeric telemetry screen readout on the Taranis Telemetry Setup page
* Pack Voltage – Choose “A2” readout, and set A2 Range to 25.6V
* Pack Current – Choose “Curr” readout
* GPS Position– Automatically displayed on one of the Taranis telemetry screens, after GPS fix is achieved
* Variometer/Climbrate – Choose “VSpd” readout
* Temperature – Choose “T1” readout (requires temperature sensor – see Vector manual)
* RPM – Choose “RPM” readout, and set “Blades” to 2 in your radio (requires ET brushless RPM sensor, configured as described in the Vector manual)
* milliamp-Hours used – Choose “Cnsp” readout
* Gforce/Acceleration X, Y, Z – Choose “AccX,” etc., readouts
* Airspeed – Choose “ASpd” readout (requires ET airspeed sensor, and requires 2.XXX Taranis firmware)
* GPS Altitude – Choose “GAlt” readout

“Smart Port”, “S.Port”, "X8R" and “Taranis” are FrSky trade names, and ET is not affiliated with FrSky.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2015, 01:48 PM
Quads and FPV it's not a crime
nice love this
thanks
Feb 14, 2015, 03:50 AM

Excellent!

Looking to get a new radio, been doing research on the Taranis.

This is probably the bit I needed to be sure it was supported with the Vector.

Thank you!
Feb 14, 2015, 02:59 PM
FPV Pirate
No more lost aircraft with this!!!!!
Feb 14, 2015, 03:47 PM
will there be a connection to jeti receivers on day ?
Feb 14, 2015, 04:05 PM
FPV Pirate
what is the name and where can I get the white connector that plugs into the vector?
Feb 14, 2015, 04:37 PM
Works great, just used a spare GPS cable and male servo lead I had. This is great.
Feb 16, 2015, 09:34 AM
I tried to do this on the weekend.
I made up the cable, installed the beta. The vector is plugged in UART to SPort on the X8R, and I confirmed that the X8R is set up correctly as I'm getting data on my Taranis through my voltage sensor but when I plug the Vector back into the SPort I get only zeros on my telem. Even after reboot.
(This is on a quad but I have another Vector on a fixed wing, haven't tried that yet)

Any ideas???
Anyone else got this to work?
Feb 19, 2015, 12:08 PM
Installed the beta, and the Tarnis Telemetry appears to work well with the X4R receiver, though the voltage reading seemed to jump a bit. Also, you should note that the current source should be set to FAS (or at least it did with my version of the Taranis OpenTX software).
Last edited by TexasFPV; Feb 22, 2015 at 02:06 PM.
Feb 19, 2015, 12:13 PM
Just want to make sure on the cable I see the ground going on one side and the yellow and orange looks like it goes to the same servo pin is this right? Just want to make sure.
Thanks
Feb 21, 2015, 03:54 PM
Thanks for sharing this! Just made a cable and installed, all tested data seems to work perfectly with no problems at all; just want out get out and try a gps fix tomorrow!
Feb 21, 2015, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad2323
Just want to make sure on the cable I see the ground going on one side and the yellow and orange looks like it goes to the same servo pin is this right? Just want to make sure.
Thanks

Anyone?
Feb 22, 2015, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad2323
Anyone?
I made the cable that way yesterday and it worked for me. One pin fro ground and one pin with two wires connected; and the center pin on s port is unconnected.
Feb 22, 2015, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianW
I made the cable that way yesterday and it worked for me. One pin fro ground and one pin with two wires connected; and the center pin on s port is unconnected.

Thanks allot for the info it was much appreciated.
Feb 23, 2015, 01:59 AM
Anyone tried this with data modified 9XR's? Looking at what it's doing, I cant see why it would not....

Anyone?

Quick Reply