How to Display Vector telemetry on your Taranis radio
If you use a Taranis radio and an X8R or compatible “Smart Port” telemetry enabled receiver, you can now see lots of Vector telemetry and log data on your radio!
To utilize this feature, you will need to install version 11.68 or later Vector software, from here.
You will also need to build a simple cable that connects between the Vector’s "UART" port and the receiver’s “S.Port” input. See the photo of the cable below. ET may later offer the cable pre-made if there’s enough demand – let us know!
IMPORTANT: don’t connect the cable to any Vector port other than "UART," or to any receiver port other than “S.Port”. Doing so could damage your equipment! Also, you CANNOT have additional Smart Port compatible telemetry modules connected at the same time as the Vector is connected.
Note: only the X8R receiver has been tested, but other "X Series" Smart Port enabled receivers may work. Non Smart Port telemetry receivers will NOT work.
Here is information on the readouts that you can display on the Taranis. Please consult your Taranis manual or forum threads if you have questions about how to use and configure telemetry readouts on your radio, or how to log data to your radio.
* Barometric Altitude – Choose “Alt” numeric telemetry screen readout on the Taranis Telemetry Setup page
* Pack Voltage – Choose “A2” readout, and set A2 Range to 25.6V
* Pack Current – Choose “Curr” readout
* GPS Position– Automatically displayed on one of the Taranis telemetry screens, after GPS fix is achieved
* Variometer/Climbrate – Choose “VSpd” readout
* Temperature – Choose “T1” readout (requires temperature sensor – see Vector manual)
* RPM – Choose “RPM” readout, and set “Blades” to 2 in your radio (requires ET brushless RPM sensor, configured as described in the Vector manual)
* milliamp-Hours used – Choose “Cnsp” readout
* Gforce/Acceleration X, Y, Z – Choose “AccX,” etc., readouts
* Airspeed – Choose “ASpd” readout (requires ET airspeed sensor, and requires 2.XXX Taranis firmware)
* GPS Altitude – Choose “GAlt” readout
“Smart Port”, “S.Port”, "X8R" and “Taranis” are FrSky trade names, and ET is not affiliated with FrSky.
I tried to do this on the weekend.
I made up the cable, installed the beta. The vector is plugged in UART to SPort on the X8R, and I confirmed that the X8R is set up correctly as I'm getting data on my Taranis through my voltage sensor but when I plug the Vector back into the SPort I get only zeros on my telem. Even after reboot.
(This is on a quad but I have another Vector on a fixed wing, haven't tried that yet)
Anyone else got this to work?
Installed the beta, and the Tarnis Telemetry appears to work well with the X4R receiver, though the voltage reading seemed to jump a bit. Also, you should note that the current source should be set to FAS (or at least it did with my version of the Taranis OpenTX software).
Last edited by TexasFPV; Feb 22, 2015 at 01:06 PM.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Mini-HowTo||APM telemetry on Turnigy 9X display without 3DR Radio or XBee||4refr0nt||Multirotor Drone Electronics||148||Mar 23, 2016 12:37 PM|
|Mini-HowTo||How To: Set Throttle range calibration on your Devo Radio to Hobbywing Skywalker||mattjk||Multirotor Drone Electronics||1||Mar 03, 2015 07:58 AM|
|Discussion||Can this be ported to taranis?? APM telemetry on T9X display without 3DR Radio||jaas75||Radios||5||Dec 12, 2014 08:30 PM|
|Discussion||FrSky Taranis telemetry display issue||edpare||Radios||5||Aug 08, 2013 07:24 PM|