This thread is privately moderated by dmrcflyr2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 12, 2015, 07:47 PM
Cat Man
Thread OP
Discussion

Another 2 stroke that excites me!

Huh? What? Me like, I mean love another 2 stroke engine? You bet your butt. I scored an engine that I had flown extensively back in the late 90's, that is a real butt kicking engine. The Tower Hobbies Pro 46. You read correctly, Tower Hobbies engine.

I really don't think the line of Pro engines was too popular and I am unsure how long they were made. But I can tell you they were/are fantastic engines! Easy start and tune, and incredibly powerful. Those with a keen eye will discover that this engine bears a striking resemblance to the GMS 47. Well it is because they were made in the same factory just as many engines were. I owned several of the GMS 47 engines too.

Anyway I found this pristine speciman at Ronwc's house. This engine has never been touched by humans since it was packaged at the factory. All bags were still stapled shut. I could not resist this. The box and contents have the distinct aroma of an attic, musty smell. It must have been purchased and stored away for years. Now it will get a chance to take flight.

I had flown this engine in my SIG Somethin Extra's. In fact those planes were used as test beds for numerous engines, both 2 and 4 stroke. I might actually run this engine this weekend and begin the break-in. I don't have a plane for it yet but it would be ideal on a pattern plane like a Kaos or Ultra Sport.

They came with mufflers very similar in design to the Jett Engineering Jett Stream. This aids in producing its incredible power. They are not designed for quiet, they are designed for power. Basically much like a tuned pipe. This engine isn't for those who have tight noise restrictions, because it is loud as hell. I had the Tower 61 last year too. I sold it because I just could not see flying it anywhere in an urban area; it was that loud. When I run it I will take RPM numbers and video. The instruction manual shows this on a Tower Uproar 40. Well I just so happen to have one of those hanging on the wall. The poor airframe, this thing would tax it. Plus the plane would be so lightening fast with it.
Last edited by dmrcflyr2; Feb 12, 2015 at 07:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2016, 06:46 PM

Instruction manual for Sig Somethin Extra

On a slighly different note, would you know of where I could find or get the instruction manual (builders manual) for the Sig Somethin Extra?

Thanks very much

Quick Reply