Mar 17, 2017, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
It's not that easy... 7x6.5 and it can't be a slow flyer or light wide blade electric type. A couple mfr's make 7x7 but they are hard to find.
I did the 6 cell upgrade so i just use 5.5x5.5 :P
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2017, 10:01 AM
If your casing was split lengthwise and the nozzle was gone, that indicates an overpressure during the burn, most likely due to a temperature cycled motor or crack in the propellent, not simply due to the epoxy at the front. Estes motors do have failures, it's hard to know if they are temperature cycled or not, you take a certain risk when using them. I prefer the composite aerotech motors because they are not prone to this temp cycling behavior, especially in an expensive RC model. This happens more often with E-9 and E-12 24mm motors but is known to happen in 18mm motors as well. Estes has a good customer service policy if you are flying their rockets and they send replacements for motors/kits, but not for an RC model. Based on their volume of motor production, their failure rate is acceptable to them, they make a lot of motors. I'd try a different pack of motors and not try to use the other two.
The epoxy plug probably saved the forward end of the model as when these fail they can shoot the burning propellent slug forward as well.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulgaman
My epoxy job was good
We recovered the spent rocket off the strip, epoxy plug was intact, the cardboard shell had split lengthwise, the clay nozzle was gone.
Hence the destruction
Will get some pics tomorrow

Next question would be what do I use the other two similarly plugged rocket motors for
Scale AMRAAMS?
Mar 17, 2017, 08:45 PM
I built my Komet and I am CG is from 205mm to 213mm. I have tried a 2200mAh 3S battery and is very nose heavy. I have also tried a 1800mAh 3S battery as well I put so far behind the CG it no longer visible. Still very nose heavy.

Also had to make some extensions for the throttle and dolly drop servo since the were too short.

I will try a 1300mAh 3S next.
Last edited by Tony617; Mar 17, 2017 at 09:54 PM.
Mar 17, 2017, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony617
I built my Komet and I am CG is from 205mm to 213mm. I have tried a 2200mAh 3S battery and is very nose heavy. I have also tried a 1800mAh 3S battery as well I put so far behind the CG it no longer visible. Still very nose heavy.

Also had to make some extensions for the throttle and dolly drop servo since the were too short.

I will try a 1300mAh 3S next.
Update: I was holding the edge of the wings rather than holding the model closer to the fuselage instead. It balances just fine if I hold the wings at the the CG of 205mm close to the fuselage. It that correct? The ME163 is 2nd smallest airplane I have. The smallest airplane I have is HobbyZone Champ S+. I don't fly that often except on a wind free day with my family members.

Tony
Mar 18, 2017, 04:29 AM
Pic's as promised
Mar 18, 2017, 04:36 AM
Former Durafly Brand Manager
Xplaneguy, glad you like it, nice blog too.

S
Mar 18, 2017, 08:29 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thank you Stuart! Kudos to you for an outstanding job with everything you've done for the hobby over the years. My daughter and I wish you continued success and look forward to your next chapter.

All the best,
Tony & Evelyn
Mar 18, 2017, 09:15 AM
Former Durafly Brand Manager
Your are very welcome and thanks to you and your daughter.

S.
Mar 18, 2017, 10:11 AM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulgaman
Pic's as promised
oh wow! It looks more like the engine it self exploded. Im sorry for your loss but at least now Im less worried about the engine firing forward as I did the same as you and have plugged the engines.
Mar 18, 2017, 10:13 AM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony617
Update: I was holding the edge of the wings rather than holding the model closer to the fuselage instead. It balances just fine if I hold the wings at the the CG of 205mm close to the fuselage. It that correct? The ME163 is 2nd smallest airplane I have. The smallest airplane I have is HobbyZone Champ S+. I don't fly that often except on a wind free day with my family members.

Tony
Yes you want to hold it closer to the fuse for CG testing
Mar 18, 2017, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster
Yes you want to hold it closer to the fuse for CG testing
Thanks you for your help. Here is my completed me163 Komet I dropped the fuselage when I was taking it out of the box so I had to buy some touch up paint. I took the end portion of the wing stickers in for color matching. Not the stickers themselves since they were darker compared to the red color of the rest of the Komet. I am planning on flying the Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 30-40C LiPOs. I have 8 of them.

Tony
Last edited by Tony617; Mar 18, 2017 at 02:26 PM.
Mar 19, 2017, 02:52 PM
Yup, that's just a motor failure, the risk of Bp motors, not typical in 18mm motors but they do fail occasionally.

Frank
Mar 19, 2017, 09:59 PM
I still need to put mine back together
Mar 20, 2017, 10:16 AM
Man I don't know how I have never noticed this plane. Just saw the video on HK.. Awesome.. So is it a solid flier/any weak spots? Got to run off to work, will start reading up on it later...