Jan 09, 2002, 06:45 PM
Thread OP

Making the Big MONGO electric??????????

The local hobby shop has a couple different size mongo kits. I was looking at them and want one. I want the big one. But I want to make them electric. I really really would like to covert the 16 foot Mongo16 to electric. Would it make a good electric coversion. What motor(s) battery packs, etc would I need to make it fly as good and perform as good as a Zagi with a 450Turbo. They also have the Mongo SR to. But I want the monster 16 foot one!!!!!! What setup would I need to make it perform like a well powered Zagi. How much do you think it would weigh? Could you hand launch it or need a cadapult? Sure would take a lot of Zagi packaging tape to cover it!!!!!!
Thanks
Rob
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2002, 07:38 PM
Awesome. The Mongo16 electrified. Wayyyy cool. I definately want to see that finished. I didn't think they made them Mongos anymore. If you do a search for Mongo I "think" you will find someone that has already electrified one. Maybe it wasn't the 16 foot one though. I really want the Mongo SR.???, "one or two sizes below the 16", for sloping but have to wait till spring to see if the new slope spot is going to work. And if so then.....

Josh

I'm not much help but I just wanted to say COOL.

Ohhh, hey also here is a link to a site with pics. of the Mongo just incase someone doesn't know what it is and wants to see what's going to be converted. http://www.fatlion.com/bash/pictures.html Last pic.
Last edited by JayParke; Jan 09, 2002 at 07:42 PM.
Jan 09, 2002, 07:49 PM
Thread OP
I don't think they do make Mongo's anymore. The local hobby shop has a couple kits of them! The 16 foot mongo should be awesome if I can get the right setup in it to make it perform. I saw greg's review on when he made his Mongo Jr. Electric. Seems neat. I'll keep you posted
Rob!
Jan 09, 2002, 08:04 PM
Always looking UP

Re: Making the Big MONGO electric??????????

You could try about 3 to 4, 1 amp hour sealed batteries for the pack, about 4 to 6 Mongo motors with mongo props

Or, strap a weedwacker motor on her! Just toying of course, GL
Jan 09, 2002, 10:40 PM

Re: Making the Big MONGO electric??????????

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob R
What motor(s) battery packs, etc would I need to make it fly as good and perform as good as a Zagi with a 450Turbo. [snip] How much do you think it would weigh? Could you hand launch it or need a cadapult?
Rob
Motors?...let's see...Briggs & Stratton, Lawn-Boy, Kirby Vacuum....
How much would it weigh-- Is that with pilot or without?
Need a catapult? Heck, it is the goshdarn catapult! Woohoo!!
Jan 10, 2002, 09:27 AM
AMA 697691 / FAA 13675
Rob,

Unless you can fly out of your backyard, I would not recommend "electrifying" the Mongo-16. The 8' Mongo would be enough of a handful to convert.

For a rule of thumb, consider this in your design. For the 6' Mongo Jr., using 2 Magnetic Mayhem Reverse (MMR) direct drive motors powered by 7 or 8 cells of CP2400SCR provides excellent power and duration. The trick was to obtain proper CG.

For the 8' Mongo, 3 or 4 MMRs are required. Since you'll be fighting to obtain proper CG, you may wish to start with 3 motors but design the second system for 4 motors...just in case.

Each system might include:
  • 2 MMRs
  • GP C-50 ESC
  • 8-cells of CP2400SCR
  • AeroNaut or APC 7x4 prop

Regards and have fun!
Jan 10, 2002, 05:40 PM
Thread OP
How about two of the Jeti 45/3 motors as a Twin and about 16 to 18 cells? Would that work????
Yeah I have a huge field in the back of my yard where I can fly it.
Jan 10, 2002, 06:43 PM

What a fundamentaly insane idea!

Ok, what about a GROSS (144) of GWS DX-A's swinging Gunther props! All them lil' buggers poking out of the LE, screaming away and yanking that 16 footer into the blue!
Hey Bleriot, this would be your big chance to smolderize 12 dozen GWS mot's at once!

Steve
"That is one hefty Mongo, Jerry!"
Last edited by Steve Wrona; Jan 11, 2002 at 03:03 PM.
Jan 10, 2002, 06:56 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
A guy here has the 8 ft Mongo with a MMR and geardrive. It fly's great!

So for the 16 look at 2 MM (one reverse, one normal) and run CR props. 8xCP1700's for each would do just fine!
Jan 11, 2002, 08:57 AM
AMA 697691 / FAA 13675
Quote:
What setup would I need to make it perform like a well powered Zagi?

Rob,

Since the above quote was one of your goals. Be carefull between selecting a power system that will simply make it fly and one that achieves your goal.

If you have the resources to stick 2 brushless motors on a chunk or foam...by all means, go for it!

Also, in Fred's suggestion above, remember that whether you use a MM or MMR is determined by the type of gearbox, offset or planetary, and that it switches again since you are running the prop in reverse for a pusher configuration.
Last edited by Greg Covey; Jan 12, 2002 at 08:01 AM.

Quick Reply