Mar 11, 2015, 11:04 AM
Hi there! Your printer looks awesome! I currently also have a folger prusa i3, and I am getting slightly slanted prints (Which is driving me up a wall). Can you please tell me what voltages did you use for adjusting the potentiometers on the ramps board for these motors? Or, did you just use the voltages from the build guide? Thank you!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2015, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLost
I haven't replaced any of the electronics yet.. i have added to them though: LCD screen, Z sensor, print fan & raspberry pi w/camera (running octoprint).

The included PSU has suprized me the most.. I moved the hot-end fan to the 12v ports so its always on and the print fan to the Ramps 1.4 D9 location so i can control it with the slicer. My Z sensor & Raspberry PI are also wired directly to the 12v power supply (with a 5v converter between). The PSU has handled all the add-ons without any issues

As for the acrylic..

I replaced the acrylic Y carriage due to a small amount of warping. I did a few long hours of APS printing with the print bed @ 100c and inadequate heat shielding between the hot bed and the acrylic carrage If you use cork or insulation you shouldn't have a problem.. but replacing it with an aluminum carrage cost under $20 on ebay

I've attached my spool holder to the top of the acrylic frame and so far its handling the weight/stress fine. I think the biggest thing you need to worry about is over tightening the screws when you put it together.
awesome man, looking forward to this printer for sure then. I have been looking for a hood cover set to upgrade the looks and sturdiness of it. But that will be something for later.

James
Last edited by lwizardl; Mar 11, 2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: typo
Mar 12, 2015, 12:51 PM
My Bulldog is my copilot ..
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaptrick2
Hi there! Your printer looks awesome! I currently also have a folger prusa i3, and I am getting slightly slanted prints (Which is driving me up a wall). Can you please tell me what voltages did you use for adjusting the potentiometers on the ramps board for these motors? Or, did you just use the voltages from the build guide? Thank you!
I followed a guide on Youtube when setting my voltages.. basically i set the voltage low until the motor wouldn't turn, then bumped up the voltage until the motor didn't skip. I have the actual voltages written down at home i'll post tonight but they are very close to what folger said:

0.55V = Y
0.35V = Z
0.35V = X
0.35V = Extruder.

Make sure you turn off power each time you adjust the voltage.. its a pain, but you don't want to short anything out.

Also make sure your X-belt isn't slipping.. The X pulley in the kit isn't the best, i had to do some sanding to make sure it even spun.
Mar 12, 2015, 10:02 PM

Ok

Okay, thank you! I have not thought of trying that before. (And I know what you mean about the pully. Geez, I was surprised on how much I had to sand that part before I could actually get the wheel in.)
Mar 23, 2015, 11:30 PM
this is pretty sweet, very cheap for a 3d printer

I've been considering picking up one as well.
Mar 25, 2015, 08:01 AM
Registered Loser
Is anyone else's X axis stepper motor getting really hot? I had to add a fan for mine.
Mar 25, 2015, 09:48 PM
Prying Open My Third Eye
Just received mine today... Looking forward to getting her built
Mar 26, 2015, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeMax
Is anyone else's X axis stepper motor getting really hot? I had to add a fan for mine.
You have probably set the current too high then.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:40 AM
Thread OP
Another Folger tip... I've tried a lot of mods to my Folger Prusa, but one that improved quality most (YMMV) was adding these:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:694575

If you don't think it will help try this... Grab the M5 nut on the Z threaded rod and give it a wiggle. You'll notice it rocks back/forth a bit in your fingers. This will show up as slightly offset lines on your print.

Using 2 M5 nuts under pressure from a spring will eliminate this 'Z axis backlash'.
Mar 30, 2015, 09:28 PM
180CFX - Nano CPX - DX6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeMax
Mine gets to around 50 degrees Celsius without a fan, 35 degrees Celsius with a 40mm fan. The rest of my motors stay relatively cool to the touch.
Mar 30, 2015, 09:28 PM
180CFX - Nano CPX - DX6
Quote:
Another Folger tip... I've tried a lot of mods to my Folger Prusa, but one that improved quality most (YMMV) was adding these:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:694575

If you don't think it will help try this... Grab the M5 nut on the Z threaded rod and give it a wiggle. You'll notice it rocks back/forth a bit in your fingers. This will show up as slightly offset lines on your print.

Using 2 M5 nuts under pressure from a spring will eliminate this 'Z axis backlash'.
What size spring did you use for this?
Mar 31, 2015, 03:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchking
What size spring did you use for this?
I'll measure it tonight.

It came from this pack: (the box didn't list actual sizes)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...5642/202045461
Apr 01, 2015, 12:11 AM
180CFX - Nano CPX - DX6
Quote:
I'll measure it tonight.

It came from this pack: (the box didn't list actual sizes)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...5642/202045461
Thanks! I picked up the same pack today
Apr 04, 2015, 03:53 PM
Ok, my Folger I3 printer is built. Everything work good, except a few things.... When I test my motors, x,y and z they move only one way, the other way it tell me that I'm at the stop but I'm not.

For example, I move x axix (-x) and it move left and if I move left(+x) it give me code:
''echo:endstops hit: Y:-1.40
echo:endstops hit: X:-1.56
echo:endstops hit: X:-1.55''

but I'm not at the endstop...

It's the same on the Y and Z
Any idea what is wrong?
Apr 04, 2015, 11:49 PM
Ok, now my x and z are working good! Now my new snag! My Y only move one way... If I move y+ it goes towards the front and if I hit the -y it goes towards the front also.

Quick Reply