Newport 12 #20 build - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 30, 2015, 01:11 PM
A mist of alcohol from a misting pump sprayer applied to the surface will also pop bubbles.

Cheers,

Earl
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2015, 12:05 AM
Kevin Gault

No more black

My plan was to sand off most/all the black paint because there were a few areas where the paint was in pretty bad shape (mostly the port side of the keel, which had checked/wrinkled). I ended up sanding off the bad areas and feathering them in, and just scuffing down the rest of the boat with a block to get the hull as fair as possible. Hopefully I won't be sorry in the future, but I suppose I can always go back and do a full strip/repaint down the road.

Got a light coat of white primer on the hull. Have plenty of areas that need some spot filling and sanding, but all in all she's pretty fair!!!

Pretty soon I'm going to have to decide what color to paint her...

Kevin
Oct 09, 2015, 08:47 AM
Impressive looking Newport!

Ed
Oct 09, 2015, 11:52 PM
Kevin Gault
Thanks Ed!!! Any news on Art's C-J?

Kevin
Last edited by poltergeist; Oct 10, 2015 at 07:25 PM.
Oct 10, 2015, 06:37 PM
Kevin,

We are still waiting to get together, we have both been busy. Maybe next Sunday.

Ed
Oct 17, 2015, 03:29 PM
Kevin Gault

Yellow it is!!!

Made my decision on color...what can I say, I like yellow!!! Sprayed on a few coats of Rustoleum "Gloss Warm Yellow" this morning. Stupid brand new can worked great for the first few passes, then started blowing rough/dry paint. Between that and a tiny sag, it's not my greatest work, but I think with a good colorsand and buff it will come out OK. Need to do some minor finish sanding/fairing on the bottom, and hope to get it painted white ASAP!!!
Oct 18, 2015, 01:37 PM
Kevin,

I had a feeling you would paint yellow. It looks very nice. Let me know when you plan to launch it I would like to be there.

Ed
Oct 19, 2015, 12:05 AM
Kevin Gault
Ed,

Guess I'm pretty transparent!!! It'll be a ways off before she's sailing. Still need to build a rig for this monster (not to mention all the finish work yet to be done). Maybe we'll get this, along with Rich's and Art's C-J's all launched at the same time!!!

I painted the bottom today. Guess I'll have to rethink my use of Rustoleum paint. The brand new can of gloss white did exactly what the can of yellow did. Sprayed fine for a few passes, then intermittently would blow out poorly atomized paint in a "splatter paint" texture. These were both new cans, and I shook each of them for about 2 minutes before using, and after every few passes. I think it's a problem with Rustoleum's "Painters Touch" sub brand (the only way to get the color yellow I prefer). I've never had this issue with the standard issue Rustoleum paint. I did an internet search and found there are a bunch of people complaining of the same thing with this "sub-brand" of paint. I think it'll come out OK in the end, it'll just take A LOT more color sanding to get a nice flat/smooth finish. Didn't get any photos today, but I'll try and get some up ASAP.

Kevin
Oct 19, 2015, 09:06 AM
Kevin,

Try setting the spray can in the sun until it is nice and warm. Or in some warm water. I found that it helps.

Ed
Oct 19, 2015, 03:57 PM
Kevin Gault
Thanks Ed,

You know, I've let the can sit in a sink full of warm water in the past, but I didn't think to do it this time. Maybe that would've helped, but this paint just seems "different" than what I've used in the past.

Went over the whole boat with 1500 grit wet. It looks a lot better, and I haven't sanded through yet!!! I think a final finish colorsand with 2000 and a buff/polish and she'll come out "good enough".

Kevin
Oct 20, 2015, 12:00 AM
Looks good.
Oct 20, 2015, 12:32 PM
Kevin Gault
Well....she floats!!! Nothing but the ballast aboard, so she should sink down to her lines when ready to sail.

Kevin
Oct 20, 2015, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist
Well....she floats!!! Nothing but the ballast aboard, so she should sink down to her lines when ready to sail.

Kevin
Apparently I am going to have to look this boat over very carefully for "Violations." Looks like she floats pretty high in the water! May have to get that scale calibrated!
Oct 20, 2015, 05:12 PM
Kevin Gault
Well....you are "the big cheese" now ...so bring it on!!! All of my "violations" are well hidden. I challenge you to find them!!!

Got the starboard bow pretty well done. Coming out pretty good! The magic of colorsanding and polish (and elbow grease!).

Kevin
Oct 21, 2015, 04:39 PM
Kevin,

It shines like a mirror.

Ed