Newport 12 #20 build - Page 3 - RC Groups
Jun 26, 2015, 11:39 AM
Nice repair job. Looks like you and Rich are busy working on your boats. Art has not started his "CJ" yet. He sent me an email and it looks like he and I will get together soon to work on the "CJ".

Ed
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2015, 11:46 AM
Brighto?
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist

I also did a test/mockup of how I might do a planked deck.

Kevin
Kevin,
Take a look at my vintage International A boat. The deck planks alternate between pine and mahogany strips. I hope you like my boat stand.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=192
Jun 26, 2015, 11:46 PM
Kevin Gault
Ed,

It'll be great to get Art motivated on his C-J. Can't wait to see how it comes together.

Mike,

Your deck looks really nice. I'm leaning toward doing my entire deck with the "Purple Heart" that came with my boat, maybe with black construction paper between the planks for a little contrast. That's the loose plan for now....subject to change on a whim!!!

Kevin
Aug 23, 2015, 11:45 PM
Kevin Gault

Update

Got the 1/32" ply subdeck glued down over the last few weeks. I did it in sections as the ply I had wasn't big enough to cover the entire deck in one piece. After the subdeck was cured, I trimmed/sanded and shaped the sheers.

Today I laid down the purple heart planks along the sheers and two planks on either side down the centerline. The brass stock in the picture is a stand-in for a veneer inlay I plan to install down the centerline, after the deck is all sanded smooth and even. I'm using black construction paper between the planks and am gluing them down with thin CA wicked under them while I hold them in place. Had to stop because I ran out of thin CA!!! Once it's all done and sanded, I'll probably laminate a layer of thin glass cloth/epoxy over the deck to seal it up.

I have a feeling I will be in for a LOT of sanding, as the planking I have is not very consistent thickness. Oh well, the more I sand off, the lighter it will be!!!

Kevin
Aug 25, 2015, 10:56 PM
Very nice! I can't wait to see her under sail. I love my N12 and you will too.
Aug 26, 2015, 07:41 AM
Kevin,

Nice looking deck.

Ed
Aug 31, 2015, 12:14 AM
Kevin Gault
Got some more planking done. Still quite a ways to go. It's surprisingly tedious, not helped by the 100degree temps in my backyard today and not much shade. She's pretty ugly now, hopefully lots of sanding will make her look better!

Kevin
Aug 31, 2015, 03:42 PM
Looking good!
Aug 31, 2015, 10:44 PM
Kevin,

I always wanted to do a deck like that. Very striking. Are you going to leave the hull black?

Ed
Aug 31, 2015, 11:46 PM
Kevin Gault
Good question Ed.

I've been going back and forth on that. The paint job on the hull leaves a lot to be desired, and I had to sand into it to blend my subdeck into the sheers. Not to mention the fact that the hull has some unfair areas that bug me, so one way or the other I'll likely sand off this paintjob and do my own. So I have to decide whether to keep her black. The Purple Heart deck is going to be rather dark, so I was kinda thinking a lighter color hull might contrast better, but what goes with the "purple" deck without clashing???

I'm open to suggestions......the winner gets a free ziplock bag of sawdust!!!

Kevin
Sep 01, 2015, 10:51 AM
Kevin,

Richard in Visalia has a purple heart deck and it seamed to tone down to a warmer color after he sealed it. He left the hull white with the bottom blue.

Ed
Sep 24, 2015, 04:22 PM

deck planking

Too late for kevin's project, but John Hanks who is the class secretary for the J boat class, has a DVD on decking that he makes available for the cost of shipping the DVD...the video is not just for J boats, but any boat doing the deck planking...
I have two Newport 12's up here in MInnesota but no one else up here has any...they are lovely boats and I have a friend often sail one while I sail the other...Toyed with getting a J boat but there would not be a single one of those short of Chicago..
Have fun guys..
Kevin
Sep 25, 2015, 12:35 AM
Kevin Gault
Hi Kevin.

I met John Hanks at last year's Canterbury J NCR. Nice, helpful guy. I've watched his video and incorporated some of his techniques, although I prefered to plank over a plywood subdeck, instead of over individual deck frames as John recommends. Any photos of your Newports?

I guess if you learn something from every build, that's a good thing. On this boat, I'm learning that Purple Heart is a PAIN to deal with. I guess I should've suspected when I burned through a couple of hand hobby knife blades just cutting and shaping planks that this stuff is HARD!!! They planks I have are all pretty equal as far as their width, but the thickness varies quite a bit. I wasn't particularly careful about selecting planks that were of even thickness as I planked, figuring I'd just sand them all down to a consistant thickness....WRONG.... I tried hand sanding, then moved on to using various sanders, with up to 60 grit. The P/H pretty much wipes out the sandpaper within a few passes. After researching online, I finally found a suggestion to scrape, so with a nice sharp single-edge utility blade, and A LOT of elbow grease (and sore fingers) I've finally got the deck down to a reasonably smooth, consistant surface. Not perfect, but it may have to be good enough. I plan to put a layer of thin glass cloth/West System over the deck, so it should help smooth out minor imperfections. A wise man (my parent's long time neighbor who recently passed-on) had a saying, "A guy riding by on horseback will never notice." I think I'll take Jim's saying to heart.

I have built the hatch covers, but need to plank them to match the deck. Needless to say, I'm going to be much more selective of the thickness of the planks with these to save my arms and fingers.

Kevin
Last edited by poltergeist; Sep 25, 2015 at 04:37 PM.
Sep 25, 2015, 08:58 AM
It does look nice. Good job!
Sep 25, 2015, 02:26 PM
Kevin that sure looks nice. Not sure if you know about cabinet scrapers, they will cut the wood so smooth you don't need to finish sand it. They have them at Rockler woodworking.

http://www.rockler.com/bahco-cabinet-scrapers

Ed