Newport 12 #20 build - Page 10 - RC Groups
Jul 19, 2016, 07:07 AM
Looks pretty good! Yup, N12 starts are pretty exciting!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2016, 11:31 PM
Kevin Gault

Merry Christmas

Dec 21, 2016, 08:54 PM
W Kuhns
Merry Christmas to you. And an awesome New Year...
Feb 11, 2017, 04:32 PM
Kevin Gault
Mk-2 Sirius sails for my Newport 12. This set has a fuller shape and more luff curve in the mainsail. Hope to try them out at the next HMYC points races next weekend.

Kevin
Jun 22, 2017, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist
Mk-2 Sirius sails for my Newport 12. This set has a fuller shape and more luff curve in the mainsail. Hope to try them out at the next HMYC points races next weekend.

Kevin
Where do you sail? Would like to stop by and look.

HMYC?
Jun 22, 2017, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist
File this under "Oh my god...what have I done!"

Yesterday I purchased a McClung's Enterprises Newport 12 #20. I've got the hull, a fiberglass deck, the ballast & rudder, along with a blank mast and booms AND a supply of purple heart planking material for the deck.

My intention is to get this boat together to race in the local fleet, and with that in mind, at first I figured I'd just use the f/g deck to speed the build. The more I think about it though, I'm leaning toward doing a nice planked deck, as long as I can keep it light enough to not detract from the boat's performance.

So my first "need to source" are templates for the main bulkheads that support the mast and chainplates. I gather McClung's had a instruction book available. So far I haven't had any luck contacting him, but does anyone have a copy? I'd appreciate any help you experienced Newport 12 guys can pass along.

Thanks,

Kevin
McClung's still around, tried their #, Disconnected.
Jun 22, 2017, 11:38 PM
Kevin Gault
We race Newport 12s (along with Micro Magics and Soling 50's) on the 3rd Sunday of the month at El Dorado Park in Long Beach. 1 st Sunday of the month is S/B/US1M and Soling 1M. It's the Helmsmen Model Yacht Club.

I spoke with Bob McClung several times when I first started building #20. His number in Idaho worked at that time. He has/had lots of Newport "stuff" in his garage, but not much interest in going through it.

Kevin
Jun 23, 2017, 04:37 PM
Thanks Kevin,

When I stop by I'll let you know.
Oct 07, 2017, 11:57 PM
Kevin Gault
The members of the AMYA Newport 12 Class recently voted in some changes to the N-12 Class rules. Most notably it is now legal to use a topping lift on the jib, as well as a counterweight on the jib boom. I decided to jump in and update my setup. I lashed a SS rod to the top pf the boom with cord and CA, and epoxied a 1oz lead sinker to the end, just short of overhanging the bow. The boom is not quite "balanced" but I suspect it will still encourage the jib to wing out easier downwind. It may need a heavier sinker!

Now that a topping lift is allowed, I decided to move the jib pivot "attachment" on the boom aft a bit, which should also encourage it to wing out, as well as provide better jib twist control. The original pivot was quite far forward on the boom to get as much twist as possible in light air (with no topping lift), but in puffs the jib would twist too much.

For the topping lift, I simply lashed a small spectra loop to the end of the jib boom, with the topping lift line run from the jib stay tang on the front of the mast down through the loop on the boom and back to a bowsie. I tied a loop near the top of the topping lift line with an elastic "take-up" at the top to keep tension on the lift so that it (hopefully) won't catch on the spreader tips when it goes slack.

I've just done some rough tuning on the stand. It sure is nice to set a consistent twist in the jib for a change. Should make the boat sail much better in light air.

Kevin
McClung Newport 12 #20
Oct 10, 2017, 04:11 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I love the Newport 12's nice big boats! Kevin, did you make your mast or source it somewhere?
Oct 10, 2017, 11:53 PM
Kevin Gault
Stephen,
The mast and booms came with the hull and deck from the guy I bought them from. I think they were sourced from the pondboats.com guys in Ventura, CA.

Kevin
Oct 11, 2017, 06:15 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks Kevin. I'll give them a go. I'm thinking of changing the masts on my schooner to spruce yours look great.
Oct 11, 2017, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Vick
Thanks Kevin. I'll give them a go. I'm thinking of changing the masts on my schooner to spruce yours look great.
Stephen,

This is what I used to build a mast for my Newport 12:
http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/...clickkey=30450

Rich
Last edited by rsgault; Oct 11, 2017 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Updated link