Newport 12 #20 build - RC Groups
Feb 09, 2015, 05:22 PM
Kevin Gault
Build Log

Newport 12 #20 build

File this under "Oh my god...what have I done!"

Yesterday I purchased a McClung's Enterprises Newport 12 #20. I've got the hull, a fiberglass deck, the ballast & rudder, along with a blank mast and booms AND a supply of purple heart planking material for the deck.

My intention is to get this boat together to race in the local fleet, and with that in mind, at first I figured I'd just use the f/g deck to speed the build. The more I think about it though, I'm leaning toward doing a nice planked deck, as long as I can keep it light enough to not detract from the boat's performance.

So my first "need to source" are templates for the main bulkheads that support the mast and chainplates. I gather McClung's had a instruction book available. So far I haven't had any luck contacting him, but does anyone have a copy? I'd appreciate any help you experienced Newport 12 guys can pass along.

Thanks,

Kevin
Last edited by poltergeist; Feb 15, 2015 at 03:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2015, 06:31 PM
Hi Kevin,

Nice looking hull. This should be a fun build.

Ed
Feb 09, 2015, 08:47 PM
I've got original (1978 era) plans with the bulkhead patterns... let me dig them out of the attic. I'll need to take them to my office to scan them on the large format scanner, so it may be a couple of days before I get them posted for you to download.

Have you tried to contact Pat Tilman <sp> ? He's making the hulls these days and I'm sure he would be happy to help.
Feb 09, 2015, 09:33 PM
Kevin Gault
Hi Vince,

Thank you. I have two pages of plans that I think you posted on here previously, so I don't think you need to go to the trouble again. They seem to be for early 70's hulls, and they're a huge help. The only issue is I think my boat has somewhat different deck flanges, as the different manufacturers seem to have different molds. I plan to have your plans printed out full size, and worst case I'll tweak the bulkhead patterns to work in my boat.

I was hoping someone might have a contact for McClung, or a copy of his build book, otherwise I'll see what Kay Tillman might have available (his molds are the old Hanna molds from what I gather.

Thanks again Vince.

Kevin
Feb 09, 2015, 10:05 PM
Oh good, I'm glad you still have them, but I'm sorry they aren't entirely useful, but it sounds like you are on the right track to solving your problem. Mine is a Sybarite model, which pre-dates Hanna.
Feb 11, 2015, 03:05 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Nice acquisition. The old "AMYA" rules was the rudder servo was to be mounted to servo / radio board. The rules where changed to "can be permanently mounted off board". My N12 has the rudder servo was mounted on board but the linkage was always a little bit on the "week" side so I installed a push pull air craft cable. Now when sailing I don't get rudder push back bending the link.
Feb 11, 2015, 06:43 PM
Kevin Gault
liljimmy,

Thanks for the info. I was aware of the rule change, and plan to mount my rudder servo aft close to the rudder post and hopefully in the same plane for the smoothest possible action. One thing to note, the rules that come up on the AMYA Newport 12 page, are different than the one's you can download from the link on the page. I'm assuming the PDF "downloadable" copy is the most current.

Kevin
Feb 11, 2015, 07:35 PM
The rudder size/shape is also confusing in the rules. It says that the rudder cannot extend more than 1/8" past the leading edge of the keel, but it's widely interpreted as meaning no more than 1/8" aft of the rudder post. I'm sure someone here will debate this

Here's how I have my rudder servo set up (thanks to the rules change)
Last edited by Vince Hoffmann; Feb 11, 2015 at 07:40 PM.
Feb 11, 2015, 11:33 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
The other part of building this large of a boat is getting the lead for the keel . Try the local scrap metal yards ..if not go to the local tiers stores. Truck tier weights are the best do to the size. The one thing about tier weights is they have a steal back bone . To get them out,mount a vicegrip in a vice holding the steal part. Put a 5 gal pail of water on the floor under it with thick card board in the bottom of it. Put on your PPE (safety thing) .fire up the torch and melt the lead it will drip into the bucket. The larger drips of lead will be very hot all the way to the bottom. This is what the cardboard is for on the in side.( prevents holes in a good bucket) drain then let the lead dry for a few days. Now you have "clean" lead to melt for your keel. Don't worry if you have some cardboard stuck to some of the drippings. That will float to the top as slag with the othe impuritys when you melt down for your casting ..DO NOT add wet lead to your melting pot it will pop and splash the melted lead all over.
Vince Hoffmann has a good "how to"in one of build threads of a N12 keel casting
Feb 12, 2015, 02:17 AM
You can also buy lead ingots on ebay fairly cheap. Use a propane torch to melt and a tin can to hold the liquid lead. The form is the tricky part. The weight has to go in the center of the hull, so an angled rear part is necessary. Somewhere in one of my other N12 posts I have a pic of my weight.
Feb 12, 2015, 10:03 AM
Or 5lb lead weights at any scuba dive supply store

Don't get the rubber encased weights, get the weights that are bare metal.
Feb 12, 2015, 07:19 PM
Kevin Gault
I'm fortunate that this boat came with a ballast. It's a nice piece, apparently CNC machined lead. It weighs around 24.5 lbs.

Kevin
Feb 15, 2015, 03:54 PM
Kevin Gault
Thanks to Vince Hoffmann and his helpful posting of his Newport 12 plans in this post https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...53&postcount=8 , I was able to print out the bulkhead templates full size. I transferred them to cardboard, and they seem to be a pretty close match to my hull. Will need some minor tweaking when I cut them out in ply.

I also did a test/mockup of how I might do a planked deck. This is alternating planks of 1/4" wide purple heart, with 1/8" basswood, then coated with a quick coat of epoxy to see how it might look. I think it may look nice over the complete deck. Just need to decide whether to use straight planks the run parallel to the centerline, or curved planks that follow the sheer. Any opinions on good/bad of either method?

Kevin
Feb 26, 2015, 09:30 AM
Kevin Gault
Beautiful....I could only dream to do a deck so nice.

Kevin