Mar 31, 2015, 10:47 AM
Flyin' Ryan
Only one flight so far, but I think I'm ready to call this the best Alias clone so far! Yaw rate is very respectable. Not quite as fast as the Alias, but definitely faster than the other clones, and fast enough to do tight funnels and aggressive sport flying.

Flight time was about 9min, without camera or prop guards attached. And the camera is very easy to put on and take off, which I really like.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2015, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimacman
Only one flight so far, but I think I'm ready to call this the best Alias clone so far! Yaw rate is very respectable. Not quite as fast as the Alias, but definitely faster than the other clones, and fast enough to do tight funnels and aggressive sport flying.

Flight time was about 9min, without camera or prop guards attached. And the camera is very easy to put on and take off, which I really like.

Does it have a physical mag compass? How does the headless mode and RTH work?

Mine is still in IB's hands ...

Thanks!

Jim
Mar 31, 2015, 12:48 PM
Flyin' Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaya
Does it have a physical mag compass? How does the headless mode and RTH work?
Does it have RTH?

I find those modes to be worthless, unreliable, and utterly unnecessary. So, it will be the very last thing I test.
Mar 31, 2015, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Does it have RTH?

I find those modes to be worthless, unreliable, and utterly unnecessary. So, it will be the very last thing I test.

If it has a mag compass, which I hope it does since it says it on the box, I'm also hoping that headless and RTH will be more reliable, similar to the YZ X6.

Jim
Mar 31, 2015, 03:07 PM
Flyin' Ryan
I don't believe it has RTH... I don't believe I've seen any mention of that, and I don't see any buttons on the transmitter that could be used for that.

The manual is one of the most poorly-translated I've seen so far, so I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding what the different stick placements do. There is one for accelerometer calibration, and for magnetometer calibration, I believe. But, I don't know if I'm supposed to rotate the quad during the magnetometer calibration or not.

I will try to experiment with it soon.

And, headless mode stuff is far from my area of expertise... is "mag compass" different than "magnetometer"? How is this quad's headless mode possibly any more reliable than any other non-GPS quad's headless mode? Don't they all use Earth's magnetic fields in that case?
Mar 31, 2015, 03:12 PM
Quote:

Compared to v636 ?

Two other things..the transmitter looks a bit unusual, do you like it ok ? And the camera, you probably haven't tried it yet but I'm trying to decide if I should spend the $15 to get one with the camera.

Thanks for all your reviews !
Mar 31, 2015, 03:46 PM
Quote:
I don't believe it has RTH... I don't believe I've seen any mention of that, and I don't see any buttons on the transmitter that could be used for that.

The manual is one of the most poorly-translated I've seen so far, so I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding what the different stick placements do. There is one for accelerometer calibration, and for magnetometer calibration, I believe. But, I don't know if I'm supposed to rotate the quad during the magnetometer calibration or not.

I will try to experiment with it soon.

And, headless mode stuff is far from my area of expertise... is "mag compass" different than "magnetometer"? How is this quad's headless mode possibly any more reliable than any other non-GPS quad's headless mode? Don't they all use Earth's magnetic fields in that case?

I'd be very interested in whatever you find. This video:

Tarantula X6 Drone RTH Hyper IOC Test (13 min 4 sec)

talks about how headless mode in the X6, which also supposedly has a mag compass, can be used to provide an RTH type operation.
Mar 31, 2015, 04:45 PM

Nihui Toys U807 Flight Test

Nice video above But unfortunately, the Tarantula's headless mode seems to perform much better than the U807.

Did a flight test today of the U807. It's a very maneuverable quadcopter. And they're not kidding about its 150m range! But its headless mode had some difficulties. This could have been my fault, not understanding the cryptic instruction manual. But I'll be doing another test very soon taking a closer look at this feature.

What I could decipher, the quadcopter defaults on to use magnetic north as the headless mode reference heading. This default heading can be changed by placing the quadcopter on the ground, pointing it in the desired default direction (maybe True North?). After binding the quadcopter, move and hold both sticks down and inward until the quadcopter's lights blink.

You can also set a temporary flight reference heading. Do the same of pointing the quadcopter while its on the ground in the desired direction. Then move and hold both control sticks to their lower left corners (similar to a gyro calibration). Hold them there until the quadcopters lights turn steady.

To activate headless mode in flight, push down into the pitch roll stick (like it's a button).

You can get it here
http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_147483.html

And here's a test flight of the Nihui Toys U807

Nihui Toys U807 Drone Test Flight (13 min 43 sec)
Last edited by t00nz843z; Mar 31, 2015 at 04:50 PM.
Mar 31, 2015, 07:23 PM

The "Twist Stumbling"

One of my viewers pointed out something that I missed regarding headless mode. It turn out the wobbling in headless mode seen in the above video is an intentional acrobatic feature. As per the GearBest listing "twists stumbling drone with magnetic compass". Well, guess that is an interesting feature, as this stumbling twist would be difficult to do manually.
Apr 01, 2015, 05:22 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Has anyone found a Gearbest code for this quad?
Apr 01, 2015, 05:26 AM
Thread OP
Apparently there isn't one available yet. Just for the camera version - see the first post.
Apr 01, 2015, 10:34 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Quote:
Originally Posted by czajunia
Apparently there isn't one available yet. Just for the camera version - see the first post.
Roger that... Thanks.
Apr 01, 2015, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaya
Has anyone ordered this on the pre-order? Are they charging like $12.96 for shipping?

The website says "Free shipping" but then when you check out it looks like it only offers paid shipping?

Jim
Hello,

Because this one is too large that we can not ship it out by "Netherlands Post Registered" so it is not free shipping now.
Thanks for your understand.

Best regards.
Apr 01, 2015, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1
Has anyone found a Gearbest code for this quad?
Hello

We only have a coupon code for U807 with camera, please try "NYU807"
For U807 without camera, we do not have a coupon code now. Sorry for this

Best regards.
Apr 01, 2015, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbest
Hello,

Because this one is too large that we can not ship it out by "Netherlands Post Registered" so it is not free shipping now.
Thanks for your understand.

Best regards.
Banggood will repack larger item and offer free shipping, may be this is something that Gearbest can consider.

Edmond

Quick Reply