Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 04, 2015, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaya View Post
We have some stuff to do this morning, but I was able to do some quick testing.

It looks like I had to both re-do the compass calibration AND the power-off-on and re-bind and then I think that headless mode was working. I only had a few seconds to to try but I'll do more later.

The other I noted is that because the quad is so low, it doesn't do well taking off in grass, even in low grass ...
When you have time I'm anxious to find out what you think about the camera ? Since this quad seems well designed and well built, from a distance anyway, I'm wondering if their camera is also a cut above, or if it's just average.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2015, 11:31 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
I just ordered one from EVERBUYING.... $12 cheaper with shipping.
Apr 04, 2015, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post
I just ordered one from EVERBUYING.... $12 cheaper with shipping.
Did you get a free shipping with them or do they add extra at the checkout even though it says free shipping in the description?
Apr 04, 2015, 01:10 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Yep same game....say free shipping all the way thru... showed $26 shipping to USA.... ended up being $18. $4 cheaper price and $8 cheaper shipping than GB for this qusd.
Apr 04, 2015, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by semifast View Post
When you have time I'm anxious to find out what you think about the camera ? Since this quad seems well designed and well built, from a distance anyway, I'm wondering if their camera is also a cut above, or if it's just average.

I'm not a good judge of the video quality, but here's a couple I just did for you.

EDIT: Replace with Youtube link:

MOVI0000 (0 min 49 sec)

MOVI0002 (0 min 36 sec)
Last edited by ohaya; Apr 04, 2015 at 01:57 PM.
Apr 04, 2015, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by t00nz843z View Post
I have a sheet of cardboard that I take with me sometime as an impromptu landing strip when needed. You really don't want to get grass caught up in your gears if you can avoid it.

Hi,

I don't know. I tried again, several times out, and even re-re-calibrated the compass, etc., but the headless mode just doesn't seem to be working.

It's VERY windy here, so maybe it's just not a good day to be trying this here though ...

After you've done all the calibrations, you power off both the quad and the transmitter right?

And then you plug the battery into the quad, and place the quad pointing towards your reference point, right?

Then, you turn on the transmitter.

When you turn on the transmitter, does it matter where it is pointing (which direction it's pointing and also does it need to be pointing directly to the rear of the quad where that green light is)?

I just have a feeling that I'm missing some step or something!!
Apr 04, 2015, 01:37 PM
A couple of things I forgot to mention in my previous comments:

- It looks like the motors' connections to the FC are connectorized.

- At least on mine, when you put an SD card into the camera, I'm not sure if it's "clicking". I can literally just pull the SD card in without pushing it in to pop it out.
Apr 04, 2015, 02:13 PM
Quote:
I'm not a good judge of the video quality, but here's a couple I just did for you.
Thank you for the quick reply ! I think the video looks quite good as far clarity and color. There's some jello but that's probably the way the camera is mounted.

Sometimes that can be fixed by small pieces of foam and/or balancing props.
Apr 04, 2015, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by semifast View Post
Thank you for the quick reply ! I think the video looks quite good as far clarity and color. There's some jello but that's probably the way the camera is mounted.

Sometimes that can be fixed by small pieces of foam and/or balancing props.
You're welcome ...

BTW, I noticed that the camera connection to the quad has and apparently uses 4 wires, whereas on other quads, it seems like they only use 3 wires. Any idea why this one would need a 4-wire connection?
Apr 04, 2015, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Hi,

I don't know. I tried again, several times out, and even re-re-calibrated the compass, etc., but the headless mode just doesn't seem to be working.

It's VERY windy here, so maybe it's just not a good day to be trying this here though ...

After you've done all the calibrations, you power off both the quad and the transmitter right?

And then you plug the battery into the quad, and place the quad pointing towards your reference point, right?

Then, you turn on the transmitter.

When you turn on the transmitter, does it matter where it is pointing (which direction it's pointing and also does it need to be pointing directly to the rear of the quad where that green light is)?

I just have a feeling that I'm missing some step or something!!
Wind adds another vector to the quadcopter's motion. Recommend trying again on a less windy day. And it doesn't matter which direction the transmitter is pointing. Only which direction the quadcopter is pointed, as that becomes the reference heading.
Apr 04, 2015, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Wind adds another vector to the quadcopter's motion. Recommend trying again on a less windy day. And it doesn't matter which direction the transmitter is pointing. Only which direction the quadcopter is pointed, as that becomes the reference heading.

Will do, but, dang! First we had snow, then rain, and now a beautiful, sunny day, but windy as XXXX !!
Apr 04, 2015, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Hi,

If you're a new flier, wait for a less windy day. Many a quadcopter has been lost due to the wind.

But if you have some flight time under your belt, you could also try flying headless into the wind. Set the wind as the base direction by pointing the quadcopter into the wind while on the ground, then binding the transmitter. That way when you activate headless mode, pushing forward on the pitch should fly the quadcopter directly into the wind. But note that you may need to use expert setting, and with expert setting comes that twisty spin acrobatic move (don't be alarmed by it).
Apr 04, 2015, 03:11 PM
Quote:
If you're a new flier, wait for a less windy day. Many a quadcopter has been lost due to the wind.

But if you have some flight time under your belt, you could also try flying headless into the wind. Set the wind as the base direction by pointing the quadcopter into the wind while on the ground, then binding the transmitter. That way when you activate headless mode, pushing forward on the pitch should fly the quadcopter directly into the wind. But note that you may need to use expert setting, and with expert setting comes that twisty spin acrobatic move (don't be alarmed by it).

I "fly headless into the wind" all the time....

Sorry, I just couldn't help that. It just sounded so cool !!

I'll give that a try... but carefully, as I would really hate to lose the U807 after the long wait...

Thanks,
Jim
Apr 04, 2015, 03:39 PM
Have you checked what happens if you turn the transmitter off ?
Apr 04, 2015, 03:54 PM
Quote:
I "fly headless into the wind" all the time....

Sorry, I just couldn't help that. It just sounded so cool !!

I'll give that a try... but carefully, as I would really hate to lose the U807 after the long wait...

Thanks,
Jim
FYI, this didn't work very well. It was so windy it kept getting blown back, in both headless and non-headless mode and with high setting.

That "stumbling" behavior in high mode didn't help... and maybe made things worse trying to fly upwind (I don't know, not enough experience). Why would they incorporate something like that and not provide a way to disable that behavior?

EDIT: Forgot to mention... I think that it's more windy now than it was earlier...