Apr 03, 2015, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaya View Post
Does it have a physical mag compass? How does the headless mode and RTH work?

Mine is still in IB's hands ...

Thanks!

Jim
Yes it has a magnetic compass referenced headless mode. And it is relatively accurate after you've calibrated it (should need to only do this maybe once for its first flight, or after a hard crash).

The instructions were almost indecipherable (well, is anyone really surprised ;-). But with much perseverance, here's how to calibrate and use the headless mode, especially as a return to home feature.

Nihui U807 Drone RTH Compass Headless Mode (15 min 58 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2015, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by t00nz843z View Post
Yes it has a magnetic compass referenced headless mode. And it is relatively accurate after you've calibrated it (should need to only do this maybe once for its first flight, or after a hard crash).

The instructions were almost indecipherable (well, is anyone really surprised ;-). But with much perseverance, here's how to calibrate and use the headless mode, especially as a return to home feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMOJxoD9xxU
t00nz843z,

Your timing is IMPECCABLE !! It looks like my U807 should be getting here later today!!
Apr 03, 2015, 04:12 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Y View Post
Banggood will repack larger item and offer free shipping, may be this is something that Gearbest can consider.

Edmond
Yep this is a transparent profit move to charge shipping for popular quads ... you can see many on their site that are large box low cost quads that still ship for free.

Sorry gearbest you are losing business.
Last edited by kydawg1; Apr 03, 2015 at 05:00 PM.
Apr 03, 2015, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post
Yep this is a transparent profit move to charge shipping for popular quads ... you can see many on their site that are large box low cost quads that still ship for free
Really...
The cost of shipping is added to the price. Thats why quads sometimes have a cheaper price from companies that dont have 'free' shipping

Then go and look at all the bitching & complaints , caused by the cheap & nasty couriers that some sellers use for the 'free' shipping .

Although for the Tarantula X6, BG are doing free shipping for less than GB no free ship price.
:-)
Last edited by 1101; Apr 03, 2015 at 05:35 PM.
Apr 03, 2015, 05:41 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Funny also - do a search on Gearbest where they all show up on one page... this quad shows FREE SHIPPING... until you pull this one up specifically.... whoops all gone.

Sorry...add $25 to your price. This game is business 101 especially for these Chinese companies that start gaining some traction. We will continue to see the changes. Dime a dozen and has been happening in this hobby for years.
Apr 03, 2015, 05:45 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
Really...
The cost of shipping is added to the price. Thats why quads sometimes have a cheaper price from companies that dont have 'free' shipping

Then go and look at all the bitching & complaints , caused by the cheap & nasty couriers that some sellers use for the 'free' shipping .

Although for the Tarantula X6, BG are doing free shipping for less than GB no free ship price.
:-)
Yes I did use BG for my X6. I just shop around.
Apr 03, 2015, 07:51 PM
Mine arrived today (from GB). It took awhile for them to ship, via International Bridge then USPS Priority Mail once it hit the U.S. IB tracking showed order received on 3/26/2015. Arrival east coast U.S. on 4/3/2015 (no signature was required).

Box was in brownish wrapper and arrived in good shape.

It comes with:

- 4 props
- 4 prop guards
- 10 screws (apparently 2 extra?)
- 1S 650mAh battery
- Set of 6 spare pinions/gears on a tree
- Camera + USB reader
- Screwdriver

I haven't attached/tried the camera yet, but the lens can rotate.

The battery arrangement is a little unusual, with the connection on the front end of the quad. There's also a kind of retaining clip for holding the JST connector, but there is no power switch (which I wish they had).

The prop guards screw in (2 screws per guard) from the bottom side.

I only had a short time to fly it outside, and it seemed to accelerate pretty well but there wasn't much wind and also I had the feeling that it wasn't super powerful (that (fast acceleration vs. power) seems like a contradiction, but that's what it felt like).

I'm still new but the turning/yaw seemed pretty quick.
Apr 03, 2015, 10:12 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Quote:
Mine arrived today (from GB). It took awhile for them to ship, via International Bridge then USPS Priority Mail once it hit the U.S. IB tracking showed order received on 3/26/2015. Arrival east coast U.S. on 4/3/2015 (no signature was required).

Box was in brownish wrapper and arrived in good shape.

It comes with:

- 4 props
- 4 prop guards
- 10 screws (apparently 2 extra?)
- 1S 650mAh battery
- Set of 6 spare pinions/gears on a tree
- Camera + USB reader
- Screwdriver

I haven't attached/tried the camera yet, but the lens can rotate.

The battery arrangement is a little unusual, with the connection on the front end of the quad. There's also a kind of retaining clip for holding the JST connector, but there is no power switch (which I wish they had).

The prop guards screw in (2 screws per guard) from the bottom side.

I only had a short time to fly it outside, and it seemed to accelerate pretty well but there wasn't much wind and also I had the feeling that it wasn't super powerful (that (fast acceleration vs. power) seems like a contradiction, but that's what it felt like).

I'm still new but the turning/yaw seemed pretty quick.
Keep us posted when you get a chance to burn some batteries....
Apr 03, 2015, 11:05 PM
Quote:
t00nz843z,

Your timing is IMPECCABLE !! It looks like my U807 should be getting here later today!!

t00nz843z,

I've done the accelleramotor and the compass calibrations, and I point the quad at a direction then power on the transmitter, but if I click the right stick down and it starts beeping, it doesn't seem to go into headless mode.

What I mean is that even with it beeping like that, when I push the right stick forward, the quad goes in the direction of the front of the quad, rather than towards the reference point that I pointed the quad towards when I powered it on and then bound the transmitter.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Jim

EDIT: BTW, if I don't click the right stick, i.e., if I don't try to put it into headless mode the green light is on constantly if I don't give throttle, then blinks if I give throttle.

If I click the right stick and it starts beeping, that green light goes off completely.

Is that what the U807 that you have does? In other words, is that difference in the behavior of the green light show that I am SUPPOSED to be in headless mode?
Apr 03, 2015, 11:43 PM
Quote:
t00nz843z,

I've done the accelleramotor and the compass calibrations, and I point the quad at a direction then power on the transmitter, but if I click the right stick down and it starts beeping, it doesn't seem to go into headless mode.

What I mean is that even with it beeping like that, when I push the right stick forward, the quad goes in the direction of the front of the quad, rather than towards the reference point that I pointed the quad towards when I powered it on and then bound the transmitter.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Jim

EDIT: BTW, if I don't click the right stick, i.e., if I don't try to put it into headless mode the green light is on constantly if I don't give throttle, then blinks if I give throttle.

If I click the right stick and it starts beeping, that green light goes off completely.

Is that what the U807 that you have does? In other words, is that difference in the behavior of the green light show that I am SUPPOSED to be in headless mode?
Everything sounds normal. Are you certain that you calibrated the compass properly?
1) Bind transmitter to the quadcopter and move both sticks to lower inboard position. Hold them there until the green light starts blinking.
2) Hold the quadcopter level at arms length with the blinking green light pointed towards you.
3) Slowly rotate yourself in a circle until the light goes back to solid green.
Apr 04, 2015, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Everything sounds normal. Are you certain that you calibrated the compass properly?
1) Bind transmitter to the quadcopter and move both sticks to lower inboard position. Hold them there until the green light starts blinking.
2) Hold the quadcopter level at arms length with the blinking green light pointed towards you.
3) Slowly rotate yourself in a circle until the light goes back to solid green.
I did that exactly.

I've only done the calibrations and the testing indoors so far. Do you think that that might be the problem?

Jim
Apr 04, 2015, 07:52 AM
Quote:
I did that exactly.

I've only done the calibrations and the testing indoors so far. Do you think that that might be the problem?

Jim
Possibly. Recommend going outdoors to try the calibration and headless mode. Their could magnetic interference nearby where you're calibrating.
Apr 04, 2015, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Possibly. Recommend going outdoors to try the calibration and headless mode. Their could magnetic interference nearby where you're calibrating.
We have some stuff to do this morning, but I was able to do some quick testing.

It looks like I had to both re-do the compass calibration AND the power-off-on and re-bind and then I think that headless mode was working. I only had a few seconds to to try but I'll do more later.

The other I noted is that because the quad is so low, it doesn't do well taking off in grass, even in low grass ...
Apr 04, 2015, 07:55 AM

U807, the great Alias clone

The U807 is one of the better LaTrax Alias clones. Extremely maneuverable, 150m range, and magnetic compass headless mode.

Nihui U807 drone, great Latrax Alias clone! (8 min 17 sec)
Apr 04, 2015, 07:59 AM
Quote:
We have some stuff to do this morning, but I was able to do some quick testing.

It looks like I had to both re-do the compass calibration AND the power-off-on and re-bind and then I think that headless mode was working. I only had a few seconds to to try but I'll do more later.

The other I noted is that because the quad is so low, it doesn't do well taking off in grass, even in low grass ...
I have a sheet of cardboard that I take with me sometime as an impromptu landing strip when needed. You really don't want to get grass caught up in your gears if you can avoid it.