Jun 20, 2016, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canino View Post
And what camera are you planning to use. The quanum type or the diy BG camera?
The Walkera Rodeo 150 FPV camera. I'm thinking of it as a pleasure cruise ship, not a racer. Long distance 200 'altitude with bigger battery, FPV from my highrise balcony, no sharp turns or obstacles expected
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2016, 07:24 PM
Flight for life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
There may be latency with the phone, but there's DEFINITELY latency running FPV through an 808 (or Mobius, or GoPro, or Syma kit, any other recording camera). If you want to record without significantly high latency, you either need a dedicated 808/Mobius/GoPro in addition to the FPV cam (will give you 720+ video) or a DVR on the headset (NTSC/PAL recording, and records any signal interference, but no extra weight on the quad).
This video was recorded with a $25 HMDVR on my Headplays, sent from a Quanum cam. Not as good image quality as what I see in the headset, but not terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IoXyzkJ-ek
Super cool video. Thanks for sharing.
Also you are quite right with your inputs on FPV.
Jun 20, 2016, 07:27 PM
And for up close, Canino, no FPV - just the usual close-shave fly-bys. Nobody seems to do brushless close shave fly-by videos any more. Know what I mean?
Jun 20, 2016, 07:34 PM
Quote:
There may be latency with the phone, but there's DEFINITELY latency running FPV through an 808 (or Mobius, or GoPro, or Syma kit, any other recording camera). If you want to record without significantly high latency, you either need a dedicated 808/Mobius/GoPro in addition to the FPV cam (will give you 720+ video) or a DVR on the headset (NTSC/PAL recording, and records any signal interference, but no extra weight on the quad).
This video was recorded with a $25 HMDVR on my Headplays, sent from a Quanum cam. Not as good image quality as what I see in the headset, but not terrible.
Have you seen the video where it shows that if you record from the camera same time, the FPV latency from the Mobius is reduced by more than a third? That's what it showed. No explanation given yet that I know of.
Jun 20, 2016, 07:52 PM
Flight for life
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFish View Post
Have you seen the video where it shows that if you record from the camera same time, the FPV latency from the Mobius is reduced by more than a third? That's what it showed. No explanation given yet that I know of.
I think what you are saying is that the Mobius like the GoPro when using them for FPV there is little latency . But when recording at the same time,yes a bigger latency. It is like that with my Mobius.
Jun 20, 2016, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotric View Post
I think what you are saying is that the Mobius like the GoPro when using them for FPV there is little latency . But when recording at the same time,yes a bigger latency. It is like that with my Mobius.
Geo, you think wrongly, not rightly, as you usually do! (heh)
Jun 20, 2016, 08:13 PM
Yes, I'm saying that when the Mobius or Runcam is being used for FPV, the latency is, say, 130 units. Turn on the in-camera recording to SD card, and the latency becomes reduced to 90 units. Counter-intuitive. Or counter to beliefs about what should happen.
Jun 20, 2016, 08:40 PM
Flight for life
Quote:
Yes, I'm saying that when the Mobius or Runcam is being used for FPV, the latency is, say, 130 units. Turn on the in-camera recording to SD card, and the latency becomes reduced to 90 units. Counter-intuitive. Or counter to beliefs about what should happen.
So go for it and try it out and let us know if you have reduce latency when recording. I have a Mobius with that set up . And I get latency when recording and getting the live feed at the same time.
Jun 20, 2016, 09:26 PM
this is the evidence I'm basing it on:
RunCam HD vs. Mobius: Latency Tests (14 min 25 sec)
Jun 20, 2016, 09:28 PM
Upstanding Member
Quote:
No I hadn't heard of this!

I shouldn't try to come across as any kind of authority on all things FPV.
The only equipment I can speak of with first-hand knowledge is the Headplay HD headset I own (briefly tried a few different Fatshark goggles of friends), Syma FPV kit (swapped in 808 wide angle Lens D) Quanum Elite 25mW cam&VTX, and a 1200TVL 16:9 widescreen cam w/ 600mW VTX mounted on a WingWing that I need to get out and fly more.
I've had 808#16 Lens D cams for over 5 years, and they take very nice aerial video especially considering the small sizeIMO, and a heavier wide-angle Mobius that I use for hat-cam and other general videoing but haven't FPVed with either 808 or Mobius.

Anything else FPV I blather on about is regurgitated from other threads, so take it with a big grain of salt

I don't what the exact latency is with my most frequently used set-up (Quanum cam & Headplay), but for the semi-quick proximity flying I'm into now it's fast enough.
Jun 20, 2016, 09:31 PM

Transmitter problem

Hi all, sorry to come with the same question...

I have this Nihui U807 and for about 6 months it has been working great

I left the transmitter with four AA batteries inside switched off for about 24 hours

Then I tried to use it and the transmitter just cant bind with the drone,,...

The little screen on the transmitter shows crazy stuff

I tried with new fresh batteries and its the same

Do you know if there is a way to "reset" the transmitter?

(there was no battery leaking at all, I always use NiMH rechargeables but now Im trying with Alkaline batteries)

I attach a photo

Thanks in advance!!!

ps: if I get a new Nihui U807 with its own transmitter, can I bind that new transmitter to my current Nohui U807?
Jun 20, 2016, 09:34 PM
Quote:
I really enjoyed your video. Excellent flying. You are inspiring a lot of us to look at FPV flying as a way to enhance our experience.
Jun 20, 2016, 09:41 PM
Upstanding Member
Quote:
this is the evidence I'm basing it on:
Cool video!

I wasn't able to find a video testing the latency of my set up (guess I have to make one ) but this guy tests the Headplay HD's with a 600TVL cam and OSC and gets 50-67ms latency.
A presumeably high-end monitor instead of the headplays only has ~33ms latency!
FWIW he also says some successful FPV racers (to whom low latency should matter the most) race with ~100ms latency, so by that measure a Mobius, when recording at least, could be very usable even in flying that requires very fast reactions.
http://grouchofpv.com/headplay-hd-fp...-latency-test/
Of course a Mobius plus VTX gear is relatively heavy, so that needs to be considered as well if you're not flying a powerful, brushless quad.
Fun stuff!
Jun 20, 2016, 09:54 PM
Quote:
No I hadn't heard of this!

I shouldn't try to come across as any kind of authority on all things FPV.
The only equipment I can speak of with first-hand knowledge is the Headplay HD headset I own (briefly tried a few different Fatshark goggles of friends), Syma FPV kit (swapped in 808 wide angle Lens D) Quanum Elite 25mW cam&VTX, and a 1200TVL 16:9 widescreen cam w/ 600mW VTX mounted on a WingWing that I need to get out and fly more.
I've had 808#16 Lens D cams for over 5 years, and they take very nice aerial video especially considering the small sizeIMO, and a heavier wide-angle Mobius that I use for hat-cam and other general videoing but haven't FPVed with either 808 or Mobius.

Anything else FPV I blather on about is regurgitated from other threads, so take it with a big grain of salt

I don't what the exact latency is with my most frequently used set-up (Quanum cam & Headplay), but for the semi-quick proximity flying I'm into now it's fast enough.
Curious what the FOV on your quanum camera is. Stock is 120 degrees, but most experienced FPV flyers use a 2.8mm lens with 90 degree FOV. Only a $2 upgrade (screws on). Smaller FOV but larger image for more detail flying through the trees (or legs!). You were moving pretty quick thru some obstacles so wondering if you kept it stock?
Jun 20, 2016, 10:10 PM
Upstanding Member
Glad you guys enjoyed the video. A relatively crash-free run like that is nice to capture for posterity!

Shark - That was a bone stock Quanum cam, only thing I did to it was squirt some hot glue around the base of the antenna on both of mine to beef them up for crash protection.

I wish there was some universal standard for speccing a camera's Field of View, but AFAIK some manufacturers quote horizontal, some diagonal (looking at your goggle FOV specs, Fatshark....) and some probably just fudge a number that sounds good

The Quanums do have a minor (IMO) amount of barrel distortion out towards the edges, but I wouldn't call it a fish eye lens at all. My personal preference is to have a BIG, sharp picture in front of my face, and to see as much as I can from the camera lens. The Quanums and Headplay do that for me.
Racers that are focusing on small gates while screaming around a course may prefer a smaller image so as not to be distracted by other scenery or have to move their eyes much, and they want a setup with as little latency as possible.

Bo Lorentzen (who created the awesome "Brad Cam" to show exactly what your eyes will see with various headsets; the screen grab below is from his Headplay review vid) made a neat angle-gauge to quantify a headset/goggle's field of view. I begged him to do something similar to test the FOV of various cameras but he gets so many free quads to play with he hasn't gotten around to it yet!

https://youtu.be/jWSJ2gNLasE?t=10m51s
Last edited by Kurt; Jun 20, 2016 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply