Jun 05, 2016, 01:36 PM
Champ Fan
Isnt this the quad that Casey had before it flied away after spinning in power line?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 05, 2016, 01:38 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beppe68
8.5mm or 7mm engines?
The seller can't provide information which version his supplier ships.
Quote:
Dear friend, we are sorry about we don't know that since the supplier does not supply us the info.
Most likely the 7mm though.
Jun 05, 2016, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olefolks
Would appreciate some advice. I have a u807, Nano QX, 180qx, and a couple of Armattan quads. I am leaning more to the toys until I become half decent in flying. I would probably get a X5 and maybe a couple of more inexpensive toys.
I am thinking of getting a Devo 7e modified to fly all of the above. I would like to know the opinion of others that have the 7e modified. Is it worth getting the 7e?
I recently purchased a Devo 7e and a couple of BNF quads, a Nuhui U807 and a Syma X5C. I modified the internal RF module to increase output power from 7mW to 150mW, installed two additional RF modules, and added two three position toggle switches. The 7e will now control the two new BNF models, and my old Syma X1, Tarantula X6, and Walkera Ladybird.

Difficulty of the modifications will depend on your skill level. If you are reasonably proficient with a soldering iron then most of the mods arenít too difficult. The hardest modification is done to the onboard RF module, which requires removing a metal shield and bridging a very tiny surface mount component. It was too small for me to solder bridge, so I painted the component with conductive ink using a toothpick.

I became interested in the Devo 7e for two reasons. I wanted to reduce the number of transmitters I had laying around, and I wanted the ability to buy the less expensive BNF versions of quads. So was it worth it? For me, yes. If my 7e caught on fire and burned to a crisp would I buy another one? Maybe.

I chose the Devo 7e over the Devo 10 based on size and price. I like the smaller size of the 7e, and itís significantly cheaper than the 10, but the 7e has limited memory and there has been talk of it not being supported by DeviationTX in the future. For now support is continuing in nightly builds with part of the menu system stripped out to reduce memory usage. The Devo 10 has more memory so thatís not an issue, has more switches and the built-in RF module is full power from the factory. So you donít have to do the switch mod or the power mod on the Devo 10. The 7e is a smaller radio than the 10, which I prefer for toy quads that I fly in my yard, but Iím also comfortable with a full size Taranis which I use with my larger brushless quads.

Buying a Devo transmitter, loading DeviationTX, and doing the mods isnít the end of tinkering. Each craft that you want to fly needs its own .ini configuration file. You need to either get a copy of a file from someone else, or write your own. Getting files from others is the easiest way, but those files might not do exactly what you want. If not, then you will need to learn how to modify the files. This is the point Iím at now. Iíve only had my 7e up and running for a week, I have model files for all my quads, but I want to make changes such as which switch handles which function, and whatís displayed on screen. I can see that getting my model files right is going to take longer than the hardware mods.

One of the things I enjoy most about my 7e is the timer. I no longer have to fly with a kitchen timer in my pocket that I need to stop and stat every time I crash. The Devo timer only runs when the throttle is up. This is an especially good feature for my wife thatís just learning to fly since she crashes a lot. I always fly by time and never trust the LVC warning of toy quads. For my big quads I use voltage telemetry and the Taranis tells me when to land.
Jun 05, 2016, 02:40 PM
Flight for life
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey62
sounds like a bad motor to me, too
Maybe. I did change the right rear motor. It did not spin anymore. Now Thanks to Casey that had given me some new motors extra, it took about 5 minutes to switch. She fly superbly right after. I am so surprised of her smoothness and power. Mine is also precise in the controls . I also yesterday flew the G's. about 11 packs of 5 minutes and 4 packs for the U 807 k. A fine but windy day again. More wind means a small battle to stay up wind but it was fun. Today heavy rain and 68 F . 20 C. Maybe flying later the U with the 180 CFX.
Jun 05, 2016, 03:44 PM
Thread OP
I have just found out that Bangood stocks Chaoli 8.5mm motors now. They are $13.28 for a set of four delivered.

They most likely not as powerful as MicroMotorWarehouse ones especially their dark edition but hopefully they will perform similarly to the standard edition. I don't think there are any thrust tests available for them yet.

(Also if someone's after 7mm motors they also stock Chaoli 7mm and they are $10.92 for a set of four delivered).
Jun 05, 2016, 04:40 PM
I want to get into fpv. I am going to build myself a cheap 250 racing quad and don't know what fpv to use. I think the cheapest and that works well is the syma ones, but I am not sure if it will be suitable and good for a 250 racer.
Jun 05, 2016, 05:13 PM
new2rc15
Quote:
Originally Posted by haikss
Need new quad since my old nihui flied away. Cant decide between U807 and Inspire1
either get the Inspire 1, or 100 BNFs
Jun 05, 2016, 05:23 PM
new2rc15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlegy
I want to get into fpv. I am going to build myself a cheap 250 racing quad and don't know what fpv to use. I think the cheapest and that works well is the syma ones, but I am not sure if it will be suitable and good for a 250 racer.
This is all at BG, and all matched
Jun 05, 2016, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by czajunia
I have just found out that Bangood stocks Chaoli 8.5mm motors now. They are $13.28 for a set of four delivered.

They most likely not as powerful as MicroMotorWarehouse ones especially their dark edition but hopefully they will perform similarly to the standard edition. I don't think there are any thrust tests available for them yet.

(Also if someone's after 7mm motors they also stock Chaoli 7mm and they are $10.92 for a set of four delivered).
Good to know that these are available. I have used FastTechas a source for 7mm chaoli motors, postage is incredibly slow though.
Jun 05, 2016, 07:41 PM
new2rc15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlegy
Hey rd, I found a good video source for you and me. there's also a link to download a nice FPV simulator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Y...TZLNv-loRCe4pA
Jun 05, 2016, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by haikss
Need new quad since my old nihui flied away. Cant decide between U807 and Inspire1
Do you realize how illogical this sounds?
Jun 05, 2016, 08:08 PM
new2rc15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickfog
Do you realize how illogical this sounds?
I was thinking the same thing, because if you can afford to buy an Inspire, a bnf is pocket lint.
Jun 05, 2016, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robpur

I chose the Devo 7e over the Devo 10 based on size and price. I like the smaller size of the 7e, and it’s significantly cheaper than the 10, but the 7e has limited memory and there has been talk of it not being supported by DeviationTX in the future.
I started with the Devo7, but ran into issues with the lack of switches (for helis). I know it can be hacked to add more switches but I couldnt be bothered.
So I bought the Devo 10. Gimbals much nicer, but its ridiculously heavy ( even other flyers commented on the weight) . The Devo10 is way overpriced for what it is (the 9x is better & cheaper).

As you noted, when flying toy quads outside I just cant be bothered lugging the 10 around so just fly with the 807 & v636 with the original transmitters. The JJRC1000 and similar, flying indoor, I use the Devo10 .

BG is now selling a single 3in1 module, so Devo hacking is now even easier . Just 1 module to solder in , instead of 3 .
I bought one & its on my very long list of things to do

http://www.banggood.com/CC2500-NRF24...p-1046304.html

3in1 module Install vids here : not my channel, but its an excellent youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGE...iai1HaA/videos
The 120mm & 90mm frames he flies seem perfect for a JJRC1000 conversion to fpv.
$10 for a carbon fame, I cant decide between the 120mm & 90mm. 90mm might be better indoors, being smaller ?

http://www.banggood.com/90mm-Carbon-...p-1055212.html

http://www.banggood.com/120mm-Carbon...p-1055214.html

shill
Last edited by 1101; Jun 05, 2016 at 08:24 PM.
Jun 05, 2016, 10:35 PM
Explain 3in1 it has more than one potacol? What can u operate with it "
Jun 05, 2016, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Luciano
Explain 3in1 it has more than one potacol? What can u operate with it "
A Devo transmitter has one built-in module, a CYRF6936, and you can easily add two more modules which will allow the transmitter to control more crafts. Here's a list of which module is required for various crafts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...M84/edit#gid=0

Traditionally you would purchase and install each module individually, but recently a new module has become available which is three modules in one. Makes it easier to upgrade, but using all three modules within the multi-module isn't always easy. In the case of the 7e you have to solder to a very small pin on the processor. I think it's easier to do with a Devo 10. The module is very new and early versions had some issues. Word is that the next batch, or maybe the current batch, have the issues fixed.

For more info see the DeviationTX website.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=deviationtx

Quick Reply