Hobbyking Van's RV-4, 1600mm - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Feb 06, 2015, 01:56 PM
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
Discussion

Hobbyking Van's RV-4, 1600mm


I haven't been able to find much information on this plane. The little I did find, was in the fuel section. Most if not all of the video's (not many anyway), that I've seen on YouTube were all fuel. So with that said, I ordered this plane yesterday and can't wait for it to arrive. I'll be going electric


Quote:
The RV-4 is one of the most succesful and best selling "home-builds" in the world, the RV-4 is an aerobatic aircraft that is quite capable in terms of cross-country, in fact this particlar model is based on the RV-4 used by Jon Johanson for his famous Millenium 2000 Round the World Solo flight.

This great looking ARF is built using a traditional semi sheeted light-ply/balsa construction for a combination of low weight and strength. The covering is printed to give a high detail finish which includes panel lines and rivets while the high gloss finish makes for easy cleaning and excellent durability. The RV-4 is supplied with a very comprehensive hardware kit that includes a unique engine/motor firewall mount system for either glow or EP power trains, an alloy spinner, fuel tank & engine mounts, heavy duty & anodised clevis and pushrods, etc. The RV-4 is also practical, the tail is removable and the wings are a plug in arrangement, the model also features robust main under-carriage and a steerable tail wheel.

The RV-4 features all those attibutes you would look for in a great sport model, a light flying weight combined with a generous wing area for predictable yet nimble flight characteristics, flaps for excellent slow speed handling and of course robustness & practicality, throw in the great scale looks, the high level of included hardware and the very attractive price, it's pretty clear the RV-4 is a steal!

Features:
Lightweight Construction
Printed Covering with High Level of Detail
Robust Under-Carriage
Comprehensive Hardware Kit Included
Glow or Electric Power
Fast Build
Plug In Wing

Specs:
Wingspan: 1600mm
Length: 1190mm
Weight: 3000g

Requires:
6 Channel Transmitter and Receiver
7 x Std Servo (6 x for EP version)
0.46 ~ 0.52 Two Stroke Glow Engine
42mm Motor 600kv ~ 650kv (EP Version)
3300mAh ~ 4000mAh 4s Lipo Battery (EP Version)
60A OPTO ESC (EP Version)
RX Battery
RX On/Off Switch
UBEC/Regulator if applicable (Lipo RX Battery)
Last edited by Diesel6401; Feb 06, 2015 at 02:12 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2015, 07:07 AM
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
Well I'll update.

Been working on this lately. Definitely not the greatest kit, but seems like a decent bang for the buck. A few things were wrong out of the box.

-broken stringers
-missing hardware
-incomplete instructions
-some parts are poor quality

You definitely can tell where they "cut cost" so to speak. The instructions (if you want to call them that) are more just a point in the general direction. If you've built a couple ARFs and don't mind figuring things out as you go than you shouldn't have an issue. Also having a decent spare hardware supply helps. For $100 for 1600mm balsa plane, this is pretty much what I expected.
Last edited by Diesel6401; Feb 25, 2015 at 07:18 AM.
Feb 27, 2015, 12:48 PM
Registered User
Scooch's Avatar
What are you using for the motor/esc?
Since I ordered the plane from HK, I went ahead and ordered the rest from there also. I'm using This motor.
And This ESC.

I agree with your assessment of the model. Not bad for the money but it does have some shortcomings and, as we all know, HK customer support is not the greatest.

I did away with the wheel pants all together. They were not drilled properly and would not clear the wheels. Not a big deal as the pants would not have been good for the grass field that I fly on anyway.

The majority of the build went very easy. Aside from some minor issues, I completed it quickly. The biggest problem that I had was that the flaps would not raise to level with the wings. It was worse on one side than the other. I have managed to get them ALMOST all the way up. I will just trim them so that they are even on both sides. Should not have a big impact on the flying. I could pull them and re-work but I don't think that is required at this point.
Mar 02, 2015, 08:21 AM
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch
What are you using for the motor/esc?
Since I ordered the plane from HK, I went ahead and ordered the rest from there also. I'm using This motor.
And This ESC.

I agree with your assessment of the model. Not bad for the money but it does have some shortcomings and, as we all know, HK customer support is not the greatest.

I did away with the wheel pants all together. They were not drilled properly and would not clear the wheels. Not a big deal as the pants would not have been good for the grass field that I fly on anyway.

The majority of the build went very easy. Aside from some minor issues, I completed it quickly. The biggest problem that I had was that the flaps would not raise to level with the wings. It was worse on one side than the other. I have managed to get them ALMOST all the way up. I will just trim them so that they are even on both sides. Should not have a big impact on the flying. I could pull them and re-work but I don't think that is required at this point.
I'm using the same motor and a ZTW 80amp ESC.

I'm changing out all the control horns and I'm going to order some Dubro ones. I attached the wheel pants, but was a pain. I'll be off grass also, fingers crossed they work.

Also I'll be using a Hobbywing ubec.
Mar 02, 2015, 08:25 AM
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
One problem I had was broken wood out of box, no complaints - repair and keep it moving.
Mar 02, 2015, 04:29 PM
Registered User
Scooch's Avatar
I'm going to keep the current control horns. I don't think they will be a problem. We shall see. I'm looking forward to getting this in the air. It's ready to go, just waiting on mother nature to come through with some decent weather. Not this week. Snow and ice on the ground and it looks like 2 more storm systems this week.

I did need to add some weight to the tail to achieve CG.
Mar 03, 2015, 01:40 PM
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch
I'm going to keep the current control horns. I don't think they will be a problem. We shall see. I'm looking forward to getting this in the air. It's ready to go, just waiting on mother nature to come through with some decent weather. Not this week. Snow and ice on the ground and it looks like 2 more storm systems this week.

I did need to add some weight to the tail to achieve CG.
What size battery you using?

I'm going with 4s 4000-5300mah.

Adding weight to tail, interesting. Normally with GP/EP birds you need to add nose weight, because electric setup is typically less than a GP setup. I'm suspect on adding nose weight. I'll see where she sits at when I'm done. I still have some work to do.

How did you attach the cowling? Have any pics?
Mar 03, 2015, 02:15 PM
Registered User
Scooch's Avatar
I'm using Turnigy 4S 4000mAh batteries.

I attached the cowl using 4 small screws. Worked well.
Mar 05, 2015, 07:59 AM
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch
I'm using Turnigy 4S 4000mAh batteries.

I attached the cowl using 4 small screws. Worked well.
To the firewall/motor mount wood or to the fuselage itself?

I have a Turnigy 4s 4000 as well and I'll use my Gens Ace 4s 5300 also.
Mar 05, 2015, 08:09 AM
Registered User
Scooch's Avatar
The screws are into the fuse.
Mar 10, 2015, 05:33 PM
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch
The screws are into the fuse.
Thanks.
Mar 10, 2015, 05:34 PM
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
So a little a flustered. When putting the tail together the elevator control rods where pretty far off, no big deal I'll make an adjustment. So I pull the rods out and see this nonsense.

The majority of the control rod is plastic tubing. Only the beginning and the end are actual metal. I can see enough force ripping the metal rod out of the plastic say coming out of a nice dive and pulling back on the elevator. Then on the 2 lock-collars, not a single drop of loctite on either one. Nuts.
May 13, 2015, 06:59 PM
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
Update!

She flies like a dream! After all the frustration, she was a beauty in the air. Maiden flight was fantastic. Eased on the throttle, tail popped up nicely and she smoothly and effortlessly took to the sky. A few clicks of trim and she was dialed in. I brought other planes with me, but this was all I wanted to fly.
May 15, 2015, 08:36 AM
Registered User
Nice! It's good to see someone else likes this model after its maiden flight�� I'm in the process of finishing the same plane with an electric setup and whats slightly concerning is the way the landing gear bottoms out on the rubber bushings instead of against the fuselage. How did yours turn out?
May 15, 2015, 12:39 PM
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
Turned out fine with rubber. That was a little unusual for me also, but it worked and the planes sits down and lands nice and smooth.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools