Spedix S250 Multirotor KIT/ARF/BNF - RC Groups
Feb 06, 2015, 08:30 AM
Discussion

Spedix S250 Multirotor KIT/ARF/BNF

Hello everybody, thank you for reading this thread. Some people may know that Spedix has launched quality Mikado Logo helicopter upgrade parts in the past couple of years. Today I would like to introduce our new S250 quadcopter and show you the design and assembly.From our opinion mulitrotors in the market can be classified into two groups. One of them is made of mold plastic. This type of frames may have complicated curves and easy to assemble. However, due to the low strength of plastic material (compared to other composite materials) it is difficult to make the frame strong enough without adding the frame weight. Also because of the high price of large mold many designs are as simple as possible to save the cost. Another common design is based on carbon fiber or glass fiber plates and tubes. This type of design is limited by the shape of plate and the frame is therefore simple, requiring a lot of screws and work time to put a frame together.We decided to take the advantages of both plastic and carbon fiber materials to make a multirotor that is beautiful, light, easy to assemble and repair. In addition to the frame itself, we utilized our resources in electronics to develop a series of electric components and accessories, such as ESC, power distribution board, etc. These parts are specially designed for the quad and fit the frame very well. Many of the parts are pre-soldered modules. To assemble a frame and electronics is as simple as a Lego toy.

Now letís see the assembly procedure of the cute quad.

S250 frame kit

This kit contains four packs of parts. They are arms, upper and lower central boards, camera mount, and landing gear sets.

We have also introduced the ARF version kit, including CC3D flight controller (you may choose other controllers such as KK, PIX), ESCs, motors, propellers, power distribution board, radio receiver. Our CC3D and KK boards can be connected directly to a DSM2/DSMX satellite and sBus receiver. No any additional adapter board is required. A customer needs only a radio and a 3S LiPo pack to get the quad into air.

Electronics:

This is a CC3D controller manufactured by ourselves. Here I would appreciate the great work of Open Pilot contributors who designed the original product that makes our project possible. We made some improvements to the original design:
1. The controller can be connected directly to a DSM2/DSMX satellite without using an adapter.
2. Changed the sBus input port to a standard 2.54 pin. No requirement for additional connection wires.
3. The connectors for ESCs are changed to 90 degree L-shaped pins. ESC signal wires are plugged in to the controller from side, not top. Therefore there are more space between upper plate and flight controller.
4. Optimized ESC pins direction. ESC connectors will not take much space.

We designed this round ESC flashed with SimonK program for our S250 frame. This ESC uses independent crystal oscillator, supports 2-4S LiPo battery, runs cool at continuous 12A. The ESC can be installed under motor mount, inside the arm. It does not take any precious space in the central boards, and makes wiring much easier and neat. This ESC also has a bright green or red LED light to indicate direction of a multirotor.

This is a power distribution board designed and by us. This board supports 3-4S LiPo input, and can be connected up to 6 ESCs with 2mm bullet (banana) connectors. The board has two channel DC output. One channel is 5V/3A for flight controller, and another one labeled with 12V and BATT is for FPV equipments. Since it is only a voltage step down regulator, we suggest use the 12V output with a 4S LiPo battery, BATT port with a 3S LiPo battery. The BATT port is wired directly to a battery power, bypassing the 12V regulator. A cable comes with the package can be used to plug in to different 12V output pins.

Now let us start assemble the quad.
At first, assemble motor, ESC, and arm.

Wires are hidden inside the arm.

This carbon fiber cover plate does not only hide the wires, but also strengthen the arm significantly.

To ensure screw nuts in good shape after multiple times of assembly, we preinstalled metal nuts in the arms. This design increases our material and labor cost, but in our opinion quality and liability is the top priority.

Assembled arms are ready for the next step.

It is time to install power distribution board and flight controller.

ARF kit contains standoffs and nuts. We suggest mount the power distribution board face down so that the back of the board can provide a smooth platform of flight controller.

Here flight controller is taped to the power distribution board with 3M double sided tape. Here we can see the pins of flight controller are not the same as the original design oriented to the sides. This change makes wiring in a neat way.

Now we can put two major modules together.

2mm bullet connectors are pre-soldered in the factory. So assembly is pretty simple, just insert the connectors to distribution board and flight controller. You definitely need to take care of polarities.

Install satellite receiver. Power up the quad and test all electronics. DO NOT mount propellers!

If everything works fine, then add upper central plate.

The last step of assembly: install camera mount, apply stickers, and mount propellers.

Finished S250.

Note: We may change colors of some components in the future, such as propeller and flight controller.
PnF version will be also available.

Some other words:
We have devoted to the research and development quality RC products. We focus on the beauty of industrial design, high quality materials, and excellent workmanship.
Some wicked manufacturer may be able to copy our design, but they will never copy our quality and spirit. We hope you enjoy the product, join into our discussion, and give your valuable feedback for us to improve the products.
Thank you.
Kyle from Spedix RC.

Our Dealers/Distributors(to be updated, dealers are welcome to contact us):
USA
Buddy RC
www.buddyrc.com
Last edited by spedixrc; Feb 07, 2015 at 08:30 AM. Reason: images
to remove ads between posts
Feb 06, 2015, 08:35 AM
We are honored to be working with and launching many new multirotor products from Spedix. Any questions feel free to PM myself or post to this thread I will work to keep an eye on it daily.

Thanks again Spedix for such awesome products!!!

Doug
BuddyRC
Feb 06, 2015, 09:41 AM
Doug and SpedixRc this is probably one of the most innovative designs I have seen yet! definitely subscribed and looking forward to more details!
Latest blog entry: Hubsan H107D Custom FPV Setup
Feb 06, 2015, 10:01 AM
I have had the pleasure of testing this product for BuddyRC over the last few months. I was told to put it through its paces, try to break it, and tell them what flaws I could find. They were extremely receptive to my input and the final product shows. As I sit here with the final product all I can say is "IMPRESSIVE". The Last test I performed with the final product was nothing more than an unrelenting pounding to see how the plastic would hold up. Here in Columbus, Oh it’s below freezing so I figured that would put the plastic at its weakest most brittle point. There were points where I purposely flew as fast as I could and tumbled it into the ground expecting that flight to be my last. A few scratches and a couple new props later and I was back in the air trying a bit harder on the next run to break it. Let’s just say in the end I walked away with a very intact flying machine with a few scratches on it.

The CC3D speaks for itself. The board is a proven platform. The most impressive of the quad were the new integrated ESC's which made for a clean install, and the Power Distribution board. The distribution board had all the connectors I needed in order for all my equipment to include FPV gear to be plug and play. It made for a quicker and much cleaner install.

VERY Impressive Spedix! Can’t wait to get a hold of one of the Hex’s
Feb 06, 2015, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbound
Doug and SpedixRc this is probably one of the most innovative designs I have seen yet! definitely subscribed and looking forward to more details!
Thanks for your encouragement, Sir.we'll keep trying.
Feb 06, 2015, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_hertz
I have had the pleasure of testing this product for BuddyRC over the last few months. I was told to put it through its paces, try to break it, and tell them what flaws I could find. They were extremely receptive to my input and the final product shows. As I sit here with the final product all I can say is "IMPRESSIVE". The Last test I performed with the final product was nothing more than an unrelenting pounding to see how the plastic would hold up. Here in Columbus, Oh itís below freezing so I figured that would put the plastic at its weakest most brittle point. There were points where I purposely flew as fast as I could and tumbled it into the ground expecting that flight to be my last. A few scratches and a couple new props later and I was back in the air trying a bit harder on the next run to break it. Letís just say in the end I walked away with a very intact flying machine with a few scratches on it.

The CC3D speaks for itself. The board is a proven platform. The most impressive of the quad were the new integrated ESC's which made for a clean install, and the Power Distribution board. The distribution board had all the connectors I needed in order for all my equipment to include FPV gear to be plug and play. It made for a quicker and much cleaner install.

VERY Impressive Spedix! Canít wait to get a hold of one of the Hexís
Thank you very much for your help,We has received feedback about the Landing gear, The latest Landing gear was strengthened with 2 times.
Feb 06, 2015, 10:18 AM
"Furadi"
Very neat design. My only suggestions would be to offer a kit with a Naze32 board and ESCs flashed with blheli for oneshot.

Do you have any pics with FPV gear mounted up? Are there any solder points on the PDB for FPV gear?
Feb 06, 2015, 10:26 AM
is the kit available currently?
Feb 06, 2015, 10:28 AM
"Furadi"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbound
is the kit available currently?
Yup, I remember seeing it a few days ago.

http://www.buddyrc.com/spedix-s250-m...tor-frame.html
Feb 06, 2015, 10:43 AM
That is just the Frame. The first one they handed me to test was just the frame. I used the same Sunnysky motors, but had to use the normal magic ESC and no distribution Board.
Feb 06, 2015, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradm
Yup, I remember seeing it a few days ago.

http://www.buddyrc.com/spedix-s250-m...tor-frame.html
yeah I saw that, thanks I was inquiring about the complete kit..
Feb 06, 2015, 10:55 AM
Hopefully we will have the shipment in the next few weeks. WE are very excited for this product launch. And trust me... BIG THINGS COMING!
Keep an eye on our facebook which I keep up on as well for further updates. I also will post here once they arrive!
Feb 06, 2015, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradm
Very neat design. My only suggestions would be to offer a kit with a Naze32 board and ESCs flashed with blheli for oneshot.

Do you have any pics with FPV gear mounted up? Are there any solder points on the PDB for FPV gear?
Yes there are some solder points, but you will not need them as the PDB already has the pigtails and plugs you need to plug your gear in (5v and 12V).

With the amount of different boards out there it is impossible to put different kits combinations together for each different board. It would be a retail nightmare. As for the Naze32 if the kit is priced the way I am hearing, spending an extra $25 for a Naze32 board is not going to be an issue.
Feb 06, 2015, 10:58 AM
Keep in mind I have the pre production release so your not going to see the orange cc3d case and right angle. They have made a few minor changes to clean the look up since I received mine. Other than that its the same.
Feb 06, 2015, 01:20 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
great looking frame